There is a new 4K Panasonic camera coming at NAB

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm praying for a GH4 with just better color rendition and better high ISO performance. Please let it be a mirrorless so we can still shoot stills! Nobody wants a camera that can't do both photography and video 

​Personally, I couldn't care less about a stills/video camera. Two different cameras for two different jobs. 

They said disruptive, and I think Panasonic is crazy and desperate enough to try it. I wonder if their Varicam is not doing well. Because in order to be truly disruptive they will have to have to sabotage it. To be truly disruptive, they are going to have to put all their goodies into a camera that is truly affordable.

Is this the 15+ DR camera with 18MP sensor from recent rumors?

Is the 15+ stops because of some processing trick like Canon? Or does it mean the organic sensors are coming to life?

I found the 18MP odd, a bit of it may be because 18MP is more than the usable area, which could be 16MP, I don't know. Or maybe this is a Super 35 sensor with a 1:1 4K Micro4/3 crop, something like a hybrid, I didn't calculate to see if that would actually fit and it also depends on the aspect-ratio. The Super 35 part would be something like the 6K to 4K Samsung does with the full readout, but with less pixels to downsample.

Who knows, we will know soon enough.

I hope it's not a fixed lens though, I can't really see that as a groundbreak since the market seems to be going for interchangeable lens cameras, unless, of course, this is a superb lens with great aperture and nice range - something like 24-240mm f/1.8-2.8

I don't think it's fixed lens. I think the DVX100 mentions are just there to evoke the memory of a more innovative Panasonic that could still dominate.

DVX100 was popular with filmmakers for the film gamma and 24p options, as they mention on the blog. I think that's where the comparison comes from. If this is meant to represent for today what the DVX did back then, it can't be fixed lens. Fixed lens is exclusively the domain of broadcast and documentary now. 

H suffix is to denote the bundled lens of 14-140. GH4 and GH3 kits with the 12-35 are denoted as GH4A and GH3A respectively. 

Whether or not there is anything new is another thing (likely firmware upgrades) but the GH4H itself is not a new camera.

Been shooting with the GH4 for the past 10 months... Super excited to hear about the V-LOG / RAW rumors (like that GH4 camera with v-log found last Nov and also that Panasonic employee who mentioned how raw was a possibility)...

As time goes by, I'm not too sure if Panny will consider the raw option, though. There may be a lot of development costs to get a 4K signal through an HDMI 1.4 output? Then again, Sony did something similar with the SDI output of the FS700. Why can't Panny?

My take on the Nov V-Log discovery and why Panasonic hasn't released the profile in the last 2 firmware updates is that the 100Mb/s codec might not be able to hold a clean grade. Bring on the Atomos Shogun in 10 bit 4:2:2, right? Then again, that's been out for the past 4 months and there really isn't much of a need for the unit outside of the incredible monitor, scopes, falsecolor, and histograms.

Looking closer at the GH4, we always have the option to shoot raw in 16x9 at 4600x2600 in burst mode. It provides a really great example of just how well the sensor truly performs. I actually just discovered that ISO 2500 is downright picture perfect. For what it's worth, the GH4's sensor is totally top notch. Then again, does Panasonic see that as as valuable attribute for their consumers?

Back to the codec debate/trail and error, there might be some kind of a cheap video component that's highly regulating the GH4's video output capability (enter a new camera- ouch!). Perhaps Panny can eliminate that by outputting raw to the Shogun? If you're like me, there's something special about the GH4. I find the image to have an almost 3D presence in a meager 2D world. Panasonic it's time to make the most of it, right?

Again, the camera's raw performance (specifically the noise floor with it's very natural film grain) even at 2500 ISO is absolutely stellar. However, the same can't be said by shooting with the GH4 and the Shogun at ISO 2500. It's just not the same. Honestly, I bought the GH4 over the A7S because of the 10-bit HDMI output thinking that the camera was future proof. But, is Panasonic actually seeing their GH4 in the same light?

Where are the cinematic qualities of a great sensor that's perfectly unstressed when shooting in reasonable low-light? It's there when shooting raw stills. it's not there when shooting 4K at ISO 2500 on the Shogun samples with Cinelike D or Cinelike V. Why? That being said, I find this situation to be a bit of a struggle as a consumer. Panny has such a significant market contributor. In my mind, it's a great platform to push capabilities further/faster with options like raw and V-Log.

... Been following EOSHD and reading  all of your powerful questions and great knowledge. Fortunately / unfortunately it's the right time of the year to ask them and/or answer them. And now on the front page of EOSHD there are mentions of the Ursa mini. Will Panny's V-LOG rumors and raw output rumors (in combo with Atomos Shogun), when/if released, stand up to the 2015 NAB announced Ursa mini? Cost wise, they might be in a similar bracket (batteries and possibly media - - excluding CFast). If you remember, Andrew shot a photo shoot with the BM Production camera in 4K raw. Will the Ursa be the right camera? It's got the same image resolution as the GH4. Then gain, the aspect ratios might make for a bit of a challenge to justify selling off mirrorless cameras. Hmmm?

Ultimately, thanks to Magic Lantern's .raw & .mlv and Blackmagic Designs' compressed raw it's easy to know how tough it is to outright beat a DNG image sequence. Sure, ProRes and DNxHR are fantastic options! And thank you Atomos for making this happen! Hopefully, a GH4 V-LOG output really makes an impact for users. Hopefully the camera is capable of outputting 4K raw to the Shogun or similar. Hopefully the camera is capable of recording 1080P raw internally.

Then again, we're just minutes away from finding out more. To NAB 2015!

​"At NAB, it was announced that the award winning LUMIX GH4 will have firmware update (Ver.2.2) available later this month, enabling recording anamorphic video content. Unlike complex digital post processing needed to achieve the classic Hollywood look, many effects that have became so popular with anamorphic film capture can now be achieved optically in the LUMIX GH4."

Not very exciting indeed. 

Well, it doesn't sound like something I would purchase, but I know for a fact there's a large market for this kind of camera in bread and butter television production if it uses an ENG style lens.   News and Run and Gun shooters need to work fast and this seems to be a way one can do that, and still get a more cinematic look to the footage.     A local TV station that uses this could potentially immediately up it's production value by a huge margin if they had a dozen of these to replace the small chip cams they are currently using.