Canon 5D Mark IV rumors

wolf33d

And honestly ....... Do you do landscapes with ISO 3200 ? Lol.... 

Seriously. DR is useful at base ISO in most cases. I would rather have better DR at base ISO than having better DR at high ISO. And anyway, Sony has the A7S II for that so where is the problem ? At least they have products for everyone. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

DR doesn't mean crap to the photographer. Marketing is only for the businessmen not the cinematographer. And here is somethong, I freaking hate Apple Macs and feel like they are behind Microsoft in terms of customizing the internals. They overcharge their highest performance computer which has the same power of a standard gaming computerus with Windows which is cheaper. The reason why hardly anyone discusses that? It is not cool. All I got to say is Canon needs to get their shit together in products and Camera people need to get their shit together in filming stuff. I never heard anyone during 80s or 90s about using a VHS camcorder.

Sounds like you would enjoy my video about my Lenovo pc that I use for editing. I discuss the price without feeling uncool.

https://youtu.be/Mbev3cMnJk8

Since the XC10 has 422 8-bit 4K I would expect the 5D4 to provide the same or more (perhaps 10-bit). So far Canon only appears to support MJPEG for 4K (ALL-I XF-AVC is effectively a form of MJPEG). This would appear to indicate that their processors aren't very powerful and/or thermally efficient enough to support long GOP 4K, which can produce much smaller files.

Canon's workaround for only supporting ALL-I 4K is to require CFast cards, which are still very expensive. ALL-I 4K looks great, especially when's there is lots of motion, however for most interview/narrative shots long GOP (IPB) looks just as good and greatly saves disk space.

The 5D4 with ALL-I 422 8/10-bit 4K and CFast 2.0 would make sense given Canon's current hardware capability. This might require a new chip- the DIGIC DV chips are more for video cameras (vs stills as with DIGIC).

Given that Sony is catching up to Canon for skintones on the A7S II for example, Canon's biggest advantage is the amazing autofocus/MF assist with EF lenses (C300 II AF works very well so far). Adding that system to the 5D4 would be compelling.

• Super Members

Since the XC10 has 422 8-bit 4K I would expect the 5D4 to provide the same or more (perhaps 10-bit).

Ive been secretly hoping for this. The 422 from the xc10 is so nice. Same quality on FF would be crazy.

One note, the xc10 has a small 1" sensor but still has a fan to cool it. Guess they could put a bmcc style fan in it but that would probably not sit well with the still shooters. And they are the most important market for a 5div.

IMHO

DSLR has about 40%  mechanical components won't be used for shooting videos,including mirror ,OVF,top screen,PDAF unit (the one nearby mirror)and light metering sensor
They are totally a waste of money if you don't need they for still work

what is worse ,you geting inaccurate  light metering while LV because the light metering sensor is blocked by mirror

And  because the DSLRs are designed to use PDAF unit(not  dual pixel AF)for still work,developing video/LV AF( dual pixel AF is included) means abandon  PDAF unit (If dual pixel AF is useful than PDAF unit ,who still need it?)

The hope of DSLRs being a better video cam kills DSLRs itself!

Funny thing is,without those useless components,mirrorless cameras (like the A7X and GHX)can be much cheaper than DSLRs ,so DSLRs can never win by lower price

Just let it go!Pleaseeeee

• Super Members

Problem is the results. Currently I get better looking images with a DSLR than a mirrorless.

Same thing when I got my Blackmagic, "what about external power", "No grip", "Big files", etc.
Don't people get that many of us are willing to jump through just about any hoop if it means a better result.

• Super Members

don't go shooting that lovely stuff in Candle-light now old chap ;)

No worries. Its for documenting me, the dog and GF moving in together. Thought s8 would be more appropriate than s16 for such a classic home movie :)

If there are any european s8 shooters out there I higly recommend gaugefilm in England. Got me the roll in 2 days. They develop and scan as well. 

The new Leica camera might help push Canon towards good 4K in DSLR.... I don't know many pro still shooters that would trade a Canon for a Sony, but I know plenty that would trade for a Leica. If the still shooters using the new Leica start pulling stills from the 4K video, then the industry will change again... I don't think there has yet been a bone fide camera where pro still shooters are using the video mode as a still tool (RED is too bulky and flawed for 99%).... Maybe the Leica is that camera to bring the lightbulb moment and start things off.

Canon react when threatened... I don't think they feel hugely threatened by Sony, in the still market.

So it sounds guys, that you will ALL be wrong, and that I will be right :D 

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Talk [CR1]

Only selling points of 5D4 will be better ISO/DR for photo (AF is already excellent on 5DIII, mpx count wont evolve much, ergonomics as well..) And for video it will be 4K ,and the Dual focus system found on the 70D. 

Now imagine a hacked 5DIV, with RAW 4K, best world AF for video (completely usable), all Canon lenses native, Canon colors ..... Well not bad no ? 

It will be priced 3500-4000 though..

CR1 = info pulled out of my ass, is more likely to be wrong than right!
(ditto "SR1" or "FT1" etc, basically 1 is the lowest of the low possible rumor accuracy rating that the website can give it. So take any of those rumours with a HUGE GRAIN OF SALT)

The new Leica camera might help push Canon towards good 4K in DSLR.... I don't know many pro still shooters that would trade a Canon for a Sony, but I know plenty that would trade for a Leica. If the still shooters using the new Leica start pulling stills from the 4K video, then the industry will change again... I don't think there has yet been a bone fide camera where pro still shooters are using the video mode as a still tool (RED is too bulky and flawed for 99%).... Maybe the Leica is that camera to bring the lightbulb moment and start things off.

Canon react when threatened... I don't think they feel hugely threatened by Sony, in the still market.

I think Leica SL is too ugly to be popular

• Administrators

Let's look at the good old 5D product cycle to predict when it will arrive...

August 2005 - 5D announced

September 2008 - 5D Mark II announced (holy shit that was a good camera for 2008)

March 2012 - 5D Mark III announced (boring for 2012!)

So 3 years the gap usually

It is overdue

3 years was March 2015!

I think November would be a good time for it to hit before Christmas 2015. Otherwise it could be any time in 2016, preferably before NAB if Canon wants to get back into the DSLR video market at all.

I shot 3 "making of " of mainstream music videos this year. 3 diferent DPs, 3 diferent directors. 80% was shot on 5Dmk3 and the rest which was slow mos on fs700. 

There are plenty of 4k cameras in this price range, but I guess people are just used to the 5d image and it works.

By the look of things I predict that 4k will become mainstream once canon releases a 4k 5d camera.