Gh4 underexposed problem/fault

bigp

Hi All, long time reader here but my first post. I bought a GH4 last year and I like the camera it but seem to be having a continuos problem. Everything seems to get under exposed by 2-3 stops! Shooting recently in low light conditions everything looked fine on screen and when played back in camera but when I got the footage onto into Premier it is badly underexposed and when I try to lift it the noise is awful.  I sort of know now too over expose but it is difficult to judge.

Has anyone else this problem? Any solutions. Could the camera be faulty?

Thanks

Padraig

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Increase exposure! GH4 has MANY tools to help you nail correct overexposing. Easiest way, set your ZEBRAs to 100+, then raise exposure until zebras appear, and decrease exposure a notch until they disappear, this means you're exposing as high as possible without clipping the highlights. This technique is called ETTR and is the magic solution for you specific problem, just try it and if issues still persist report back & we'll find a different solution.

Read this first then try: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7922-ettr-the-ultimate-exposure-technique/?page=1

Hi, thanks for the advice, the camera was set up with zebras at 100%, with constant preview on. I will play closer attention to the histogram and over expose in future.

do ye trust the display on the GH4 at all? It's really annoying it's so far off from the actual files. 

Ta

Padraig