Next Blackmagic camera sensor may gun for 4K 120fps and clean low light performance

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds like a beast.

I think this is the first NAB where I'm not really curious or interested. The reason being that my BMPCC + x0.58 SB + Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 combo is still providing a phenomenal image.

The only thing that would make me reach for my wallet is a "BMPCC V2" with 50/60P (or higher). Otherwise, I couldn't care less about NAB 2015. :P 

I checked the Fairchild website since they use their sensors in the Pocket and Cinema Camera. The chip mentioned on bmcuser is the LTN4625A, you can find all the info on the website: http://www.fairchildimaging.com/catalog/focal-plane-arrays/scmos/ltn4625a

It does tick the 4K @ 240 fps box, but it's a 12MP sensor, not a chip with exactly 3840x2160 pixels like Andrew is talking about.

I would trade 4K and high frame rates for an additional stop of DR any day. An improved 2.5K sensor with 1 more stop of DR is what I have been secretly hoping for. But for some reason I don't think there is a chance in hell this will happen. 4K and 150+ fps sound way sexier than 1 additional stop of DR. Oh well, I'm still pretty happy with the current pocket and cinema camera and will take advantage of their falling prices on eBay. :)

I checked the Fairchild website since they use their sensors in the Pocket and Cinema Camera. The chip mentioned on bmcuser is the LTN4625A, you can find all the info on the website: http://www.fairchildimaging.com/catalog/focal-plane-arrays/scmos/ltn4625a

It does tick the 4K @ 240 fps box, but it's a 12MP sensor, not a chip with exactly 3840x2160 pixels like Andrew is talking about.

I'm sure it is the LTN4625A. I think Andrew meant that the new sensor has a 16:9 aspect ratio, as does UHD. The 4,608 x 2,592 resolution represents a 20% oversampling over 3,840 x 2,160.

I would trade 4K and high frame rates for an additional stop of DR any day. An improved 2.5K sensor with 1 more stop of DR is what I have been secretly hoping for. But for some reason I don't think there is a chance in hell this will happen. 4K and 150+ fps sound way sexier than 1 additional stop of DR. Oh well, I'm still pretty happy with the current pocket and cinema camera and will take advantage of their falling prices on eBay. :)

​Yes 4k is so much overrated, in fact something between 2.5 to 3k would have been much better, all the advantage of being able to stabilize and re frame and good oversampling for very good 2k/1080p without the increase by 4X of data. You would also get better low light, more so for APSC sensor.

As for the sensor, I think and hope it will be the new fairchild 4k sensor. BM already knows how to work with those sensors and they are much better than in the production camera mainly because of DR. The claim that it is 12 stop (only one stop lower than the BMC and pocket) is a bit of a stretch for anyone that have seen the footage, more so that the sensor is rated at 10 stop. Now the other question is if BM will put this sensor in another camera or only in the URSA.

I couldn't agree more. All Oscar winner movies this year have been shot with Alexa 2.7K sensor. If Hollywood doesn't need 4K more than DR why should we?

I literally love my 2.5K BMCC format and DR. I've dealed with the form factor easily (I use it on tripod or Ronin so no need to handle it), I love the SSD cheap storage I just miss more FPS for slomo.

A BMCC II with 2.5K and 120 fps would be a killer camera!

I wrote about it on BM forum but little response from users and none from BM.