Adobe updates - Still no H265

Jimmy

​This is just speculative nonsense. The fact is that current and last-generation Intel chips decode H265 in hardware, even Celeron chips. H265 video files play fine on cheap machines. I play them (the 80 Mbps Pro one from the NX1) smoothly, and on cheap machines (also on not cheap machines).

Again, there is no excuse for Adobe not to support the H265 standard. I do not understand why it benefits anyone to defend Adobe on this even if you love their products. H265 is here; it is already supported by commonly available, cheap computers in hardware as well as one consumer software editing program natively (for a while). It is also supported in hardware by many 2015 HDTV manufacturers - just plug in your usb with H265 files and they play fine. The main reason is Netflix, which uses H265.

​I agree.  Even H.264, if you drop it into Premiere Pro, it creates gigabytes of intermediate frames behind the scenes.  If we can play H.265 video smoothly in some players already, it just sounds like Adobe just needs to create their own codec for H.265 like they have for many other formats.  I'm sure it's easier said than done, but I don't think we're going to need a leap in processing power to drop H.265 files onto Premiere Pro.  It's going to be slower than H.264 for sure to work on the NLE, kinda like how it feels to work with H.264 on a older machine.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I remember (very happily) viewing, trimming and batching all my DSLR footage to prores after a day's shooting in MPEG Streamclip. It's still such a useful little freebie and I probably use it at least once a day.

I'd just be happy to have that capacity for H265 - view, trim, batch transcode to ProRes without image change, 4K or 1080. I can find plenty of stuff to do while it chugs away.

Much rather have native H265 in After Effects, to tell you the truth... but the above prores files would be just fine for effects work, too.

​This is just speculative nonsense. The fact is that current and last-generation Intel chips decode H265 in hardware, even Celeron chips. H265 video files play fine on cheap machines. I play them (the 80 Mbps Pro one from the NX1) smoothly, and on cheap machines (also on not cheap machines).

Again, there is no excuse for Adobe not to support the H265 standard. I do not understand why it benefits anyone to defend Adobe on this even if you love their products. H265 is here; it is already supported by commonly available, cheap computers in hardware as well as one consumer software editing program natively (for a while). It is also supported in hardware by many 2015 HDTV manufacturers - just plug in your usb with H265 files and they play fine. The main reason is Netflix, which uses H265.

​I am in no way defending Adobe i do not use Premiere i use Edius.  I have a quit fast system and new video card that encodes and decodes 4k and when editing the Transcoded files it takes a toll on the system when adding any effect or so if this was the H256 file I can not see how it would be editable with out it coming to a stand still.  I have no problem with play back here as well its editing that is the problem adding a title or color tint or anything other then just playing it back you will need a super PC to do it..

​I am in no way defending Adobe i do not use Premiere i use Edius.  I have a quit fast system and new video card that encodes and decodes 4k and when editing the Transcoded files it takes a toll on the system when adding any effect or so if this was the H256 file I can not see how it would be editable with out it coming to a stand still.  I have no problem with play back here as well its editing that is the problem adding a title or color tint or anything other then just playing it back you will need a super PC to do it..

​Did you read the above post? - existing Intel chips now hardware decode H265 (drivers were upgraded to unlock this capability). Your new video card is irrelevant. You can use any available new cheap Intel-equipped machine and it will play H265 just as well as your new card plays 4K. And just as well as my smartphone plays H265. No super PC needed.

• 3 weeks later...