Adobe updates - Still no H265

Jimmy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Canon's "new" codec is just H.264.

I am sure they are working on H.265 support but since the hardware to support it isn't really common yet, I can see why they're taking their time over it.

In the meantime, EditReady is your friend.

I have tested every known convertor.... They are ok, but they introduce gamma changes that concern me.

Not Adobe's fault, this is still a niche codec and probably requires untold hours of coding to perfect. Samsung really should add H264 support while this is sorted out (or scratch Adobe's back, like i'm sure RED did to get REDcode support).

Um, it still might be in the new update. Just because it's not listed in the major new features doesn't mean it won't be added. Usually we don't get a full list until it's actually in the wild. 

Loving what I am seeing with the new Color adjustments in premiere though!

I have tested every known convertor.... They are ok, but they introduce gamma changes that concern me.

Not Adobe's fault, this is still a niche codec and probably requires untold hours of coding to perfect. Samsung really should add H264 support while this is sorted out (or scratch Adobe's back, like i'm sure RED did to get REDcode support).

​It is not a "niche" codec, it is a new codec. It is in fact the new standard. It is used by Netflix, for example. Samsung is just the first to use it in a camera (maybe there are others). Cyberlink added support months ago, and the specs have been available for a long time. Obviously this is Adobe's fault that they do not now support this new standard.

As for adding H264 to the camera - the bitrates would have to be gigantic to achieve the same quality as the HEVC 80Mbps (more than 200 Mbps). That is the point. That bitrate would be too much for the card slot and may also cause overheating. Or we could settle for mediocre lower H264 bitrates just so we can use Adobe?

On june AMD will probably present their new R9 390X with full hardware support for H265.

I expect then some update for Vegas and Premiere supporting H265.

​Intel is already supporting H265 in hardware with its existing fourth and later-generation chips. H265 is a standard, and there is no reason to let Adobe Or Sony Vegas for that matter) off the hood for being slow to support it.

The new Premiere has an option to export as H.265, still unknown as to if editing in it is happening or not. 

​YES! At the very least that means that Media Encoder/Prelude support it. Cannot wait.

Just got the GTX 960 with on board H265 decoding, really hope it's fully supported in the next update. 

It will take a very powerful system to handle it when they do the video will maybe play back at 3 frames a second if that with what most people have for a editing system. I think it will cost a good $1200 or so to upgrade a system to even come close to being able to handle it. So when they do have it everyone will say it dose not work well.

Frustrating news.... Canon's new codec is supported, but still no love for H265.

Samsung really need to scratch Adobe's back or allow another codec via firmware.

​Adobe explicitly lists the new XF-AVC Canon codecs just announced with their 2 new cameras.  We can see that Canon is definitely scratching Adobe's back.

"...including new support for Avid DNxHR media, Canon XF-AVC, ProRes 4444XQ, and Panasonic 4K_HS..."

Source: http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2015/04/premiere-pro-next-colorful.html?scid=social43472736&adbid=884596851583649&adbpl=fb&adbpr=341657335877606

I've been experimenting with creating 422 10-bit H.264 (ALL-I and IPB) using Photon as well as editing the files in Premiere. While the files work for the most part, the performance wasn't as high as I would expect. 444 10-bit H.264 didn't work at all. Thus, even though Canon's XF-AVC is part of the H.264 standard, NLEs may need to update their H.264 decoders to handle more parts of the spec.

It will take a very powerful system to handle it when they do the video will maybe play back at 3 frames a second if that with what most people have for a editing system. I think it will cost a good $1200 or so to upgrade a system to even come close to being able to handle it. So when they do have it everyone will say it dose not work well.

​This is just speculative nonsense. The fact is that current and last-generation Intel chips decode H265 in hardware, even Celeron chips. H265 video files play fine on cheap machines. I play them (the 80 Mbps Pro one from the NX1) smoothly, and on cheap machines (also on not cheap machines).

Again, there is no excuse for Adobe not to support the H265 standard. I do not understand why it benefits anyone to defend Adobe on this even if you love their products. H265 is here; it is already supported by commonly available, cheap computers in hardware as well as one consumer software editing program natively (for a while). It is also supported in hardware by many 2015 HDTV manufacturers - just plug in your usb with H265 files and they play fine. The main reason is Netflix, which uses H265.

I'm gonna post here as Andrew closed the Philip bloom thread.... My post was ironic, due to our debate about the Clarkson stuff... You must see the irony, surely?

Clarkson would have made a similar quip ;-)

And yes... Assault is terrible thing and, if found guilty by none social media means, his respect will evaporate

I'm gonna post here as Andrew closed the Philip bloom thread.... My post was ironic, due to our debate about the Clarkson stuff... You must see the irony, surely?

Clarkson would have made a similar quip ;-)

And yes... Assault is terrible thing and, if found guilty by none social media means, his respect will evaporate

Shame on you for hijacking this thread! Down with everything even remotely humorous and long live the technocracy. :D