Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Zach Ashcraft said:

Hey Everyone, could use some advice. I'm thinking of purchasing an XC10 or XC15. 

I'm currently shooting a documentary, and for the interviews I was considering shooting in 4K with the XC15 to simulate a multi-camera setup with cropping for 1080p delivery. Would the lower bitrate 4K provide good results in a controlled, well lit scenario? Just seems easier than dealing with two cameras shooting 1080 and having to sync audio. 

Thoughts? Anyone else done something like this with good results? 

Others might disagree, but I honestly don't think the image is sharp enough for too much 4k punching. Kind of brittle or something. I'm sure me or someone on the forum could provide you with some test shots if you would like to try it out. The c100 with a 50mm would probably look better. What about the original C100 and the XC10 for a b cam? 

1 hour ago, UHDjohn said:

Did you use any stabilisation in post or do you just have a very steady hand :)

I'll say as well that the stabilizer is insane. Really nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, Zach Ashcraft said:

Hey Everyone, could use some advice. I'm thinking of purchasing an XC10 or XC15. 

I'm currently shooting a documentary, and for the interviews I was considering shooting in 4K with the XC15 to simulate a multi-camera setup with cropping for 1080p delivery. Would the lower bitrate 4K provide good results in a controlled, well lit scenario? Just seems easier than dealing with two cameras shooting 1080 and having to sync audio. 

Thoughts? Anyone else done something like this with good results? 

If it is just for an interview get two second hand XC10, they are going to be fine and you will have also the option to re-frame, later sell one of them, or both of them , you will probably get back almost the same money you spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

If it is just for an interview get two second hand XC10, they are going to be fine and you will have also the option to re-frame, later sell one of them, or both of them , you will probably get back almost the same money you spend.

Yeah, but you could also just get a C100mki and run audio into that and use the XC10 for second camera. I like the XC10, don't get me wrong, but a 50mm on a c100 is a really nice look. There's a lot of options in that price range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. I've got access to a C100 MK II and I own a 5D mark III. I love the look for both of these cameras, just was trying to make my life easier by filming with one. 

I'd love some sample shots if anyone can provide them! Any 4K talking head stuff (or anything really) would be greatly appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I’ve said before we are in Canon repeating the Scoopic story 40 years later. The 16mm camera was an order from NHK to have a sturdy news camera to compete with the Beaulieu and Bolex of the time. It was sturdy but had that committee feel to it. Using a Beaulieu in Vietnam was playing Russian Roulette, a Bolex died the first day.

The XC10 is in the same category. After almost 6 months using it for what it is, a news reporter video and photo camera, I’m highly please. We don’t do small documentaries but again it would fit the bill if we had too. And I’m sure that some are used as C cameras in big budget production, at the price they’re expendable after all and nobody will notice a 48 frames cut. As long as the card survives, everybody is happy.

To try to express how sick and tired I am of the purist would be an understatement. The XC10 does the job. What I don’t understand is the XC-15, but then again I still don’t get E=MC2 perfectly.

But what I truly don’t understand is the lack of a power zoom or the feeling that the XC line could be an ecosystem on its own. Why not offer on the bottom a replica of the I/O, usb, hdmi, sound and viewfinder out? Or at the flash head, viewfinder out and sound in? Imagine a small Oled viewfinder on top! Not a great engineering feat. But imagine how many 3rd party accessories would come to life.

And what about a choice of lens, the one supplied which does the work, a shorter but faster one and one with a Canon mount.

As is it is an excellent compromise. If you want a C700, then get one. If you are limited in resources, get this. And by the way, hundred of thousands of hours of tv programs worldwide are shot on cameras well below the specs of the XC-10.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Ran off some more footage yesterday morning. Added grain to a few shots. Really love the color and image stabilizer, wish it could get more shallow. The lens really does seem to do best between F2.8 and F8. 

 

The occasional zoom out really gives your video a modern S8/16mm feel. Once again, awesome job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mercer said:

The occasional zoom out really gives your video a modern S8/16mm feel. Once again, awesome job. 

Thanks. Trying to add some character to the footage. Feels kinda stock footage with the deep depth of field without some sort of movement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Thanks. Trying to add some character to the footage. Feels kinda stock footage with the deep depth of field without some sort of movement. 

Yeah, I like it. Nice touch, especially since you use it sparingly and at good moments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Do you know anything about the Lume cube? Im looking for some type of way to gel it or diffuse the light. Any ideas?

I would just use gaffers tape. 

Or measure the circle around the light and see if you can find some colored filters that will fit in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

@BenEricson did you shoot that Ferry clip in C-LOG ?

Yeah, C-LOG. I'm basically just exposing based on the meter, maybe pushing it a stop but not really. I thought for sure the shot at :10 would have macro blocking and noise but it's pretty clean. The image maybe looks thinner than if you shot with EOS Standard, but maybe that's how I am processing the image. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Yeah, C-LOG. I'm basically just exposing based on the meter, maybe pushing it a stop but not really. I thought for sure the shot at :10 would have macro blocking and noise but it's pretty clean. The image maybe looks thinner than if you shot with EOS Standard, but maybe that's how I am processing the image. 

I don't think it looks thin at all. It definitely has a filmic feel to it. I hate  brittle video, and I haven't seen it from the XC10 at all, even the 1080p. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...