Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

18 minutes ago, Zach Ashcraft said:

Hey Everyone, could use some advice. I'm thinking of purchasing an XC10 or XC15. 

I'm currently shooting a documentary, and for the interviews I was considering shooting in 4K with the XC15 to simulate a multi-camera setup with cropping for 1080p delivery. Would the lower bitrate 4K provide good results in a controlled, well lit scenario? Just seems easier than dealing with two cameras shooting 1080 and having to sync audio. 

Thoughts? Anyone else done something like this with good results? 

If it is just for an interview get two second hand XC10, they are going to be fine and you will have also the option to re-frame, later sell one of them, or both of them , you will probably get back almost the same money you spend.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

If it is just for an interview get two second hand XC10, they are going to be fine and you will have also the option to re-frame, later sell one of them, or both of them , you will probably get back almost the same money you spend.

Yeah, but you could also just get a C100mki and run audio into that and use the XC10 for second camera. I like the XC10, don't get me wrong, but a 50mm on a c100 is a really nice look. There's a lot of options in that price range. 

Thanks all. I've got access to a C100 MK II and I own a 5D mark III. I love the look for both of these cameras, just was trying to make my life easier by filming with one. 

I'd love some sample shots if anyone can provide them! Any 4K talking head stuff (or anything really) would be greatly appreciated! 

As I’ve said before we are in Canon repeating the Scoopic story 40 years later. The 16mm camera was an order from NHK to have a sturdy news camera to compete with the Beaulieu and Bolex of the time. It was sturdy but had that committee feel to it. Using a Beaulieu in Vietnam was playing Russian Roulette, a Bolex died the first day.

The XC10 is in the same category. After almost 6 months using it for what it is, a news reporter video and photo camera, I’m highly please. We don’t do small documentaries but again it would fit the bill if we had too. And I’m sure that some are used as C cameras in big budget production, at the price they’re expendable after all and nobody will notice a 48 frames cut. As long as the card survives, everybody is happy.

To try to express how sick and tired I am of the purist would be an understatement. The XC10 does the job. What I don’t understand is the XC-15, but then again I still don’t get E=MC2 perfectly.

But what I truly don’t understand is the lack of a power zoom or the feeling that the XC line could be an ecosystem on its own. Why not offer on the bottom a replica of the I/O, usb, hdmi, sound and viewfinder out? Or at the flash head, viewfinder out and sound in? Imagine a small Oled viewfinder on top! Not a great engineering feat. But imagine how many 3rd party accessories would come to life.

And what about a choice of lens, the one supplied which does the work, a shorter but faster one and one with a Canon mount.

As is it is an excellent compromise. If you want a C700, then get one. If you are limited in resources, get this. And by the way, hundred of thousands of hours of tv programs worldwide are shot on cameras well below the specs of the XC-10.

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Ran off some more footage yesterday morning. Added grain to a few shots. Really love the color and image stabilizer, wish it could get more shallow. The lens really does seem to do best between F2.8 and F8. 

The occasional zoom out really gives your video a modern S8/16mm feel. Once again, awesome job. 

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

@BenEricson did you shoot that Ferry clip in C-LOG ?

Yeah, C-LOG. I'm basically just exposing based on the meter, maybe pushing it a stop but not really. I thought for sure the shot at :10 would have macro blocking and noise but it's pretty clean. The image maybe looks thinner than if you shot with EOS Standard, but maybe that's how I am processing the image. 

Yeah, C-LOG. I'm basically just exposing based on the meter, maybe pushing it a stop but not really. I thought for sure the shot at :10 would have macro blocking and noise but it's pretty clean. The image maybe looks thinner than if you shot with EOS Standard, but maybe that's how I am processing the image. 

I don't think it looks thin at all. It definitely has a filmic feel to it. I hate  brittle video, and I haven't seen it from the XC10 at all, even the 1080p. 

Whatever you are doing in post looks incredible ! Really filmic...Im wondering if we own the same camera ?

I read that C-LOG is optimized for 8 bit. That plus your footage has me convinced I should shoot solely in Canon Log