Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

8 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Mike, looking great! So EOS Standard is just Canons out of the box ENG style profile? Regarding High ISO, would you say it can compete with G6 or later GH4 or G7, say

Yes, EOS Standard is one of the ready to go profiles but it has the least heavy noise reduction applied to it. I've successfully matched it to C-Log and Magic Lantern Log, so I can use a range of luts on it.

Not sure what the second part of your post is asking? XC10 has a smaller sensor than M43 and its high ISO performance is not as good as the cameras you list. The XC10 image begins to deteriorate noticeably from 800 and starts to be problematic at 1600. Add a slow lens into the equation = camera always needs light.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, thought the lower 12 megapixel count and some clever processing would make it more sensitive than an G6 or GH4 sensor, maybe not the newer ones in the G7 and such.

Thus making it about 1stop more sensitive than a GH4, being that, iso 1600 and f5.6 looking the same as iso 800 and F4 on mft. The sensor and processing in the

c100 and c300 line have always been punching above its weight, being two stops more sensitive than the s35 sensors from the FS700 and FS7.

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2017 at 1:59 PM, mercer said:

Anybody who says the camera is horrible never used one. When it's exposed properly and not pushed too far in post, the camera is as cinematic as they come, with beautiful color. If I was a wealthier man, I would still own it. If they ever go below a grand on the used market, I'll buy another one. 

I couldn't take it and had to buy the camera again. So stoked to mess around with this camera again. 

I found some cool footage shot with a wide angle today. When zoomed through it looks like you can achieve shallower depth of field as well. Around 4:26 the stuff shot with the Wide Angle.

2 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I couldn't take it and had to buy the camera again. So stoked to mess around with this camera again. 

I found some cool footage shot with a wide angle today. When zoomed through it looks like you can achieve shallower depth of field as well. Around 4:26 the stuff shot with the Wide Angle.

Can you tap to focus with the wifi app? This would make a great Ronin M B cam for the C-series except wireless FFs are a pain...

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Ben, I am glad to hear you bought another one, your XC10 videos were amongst my favorite and they truly captured the spirit of this S16 digital camera. I still have the XC10 saved in my eBay search... just waiting for that price I feel comfortable with. 

I keep chasing the XC10 form factor as well. I've had two FZ2500s and the RX10ii since I've sold the XC10. Both were cool cameras, but neither  are as unique as the XC10.

The FZ2500 has solid high bitrate, all-i 1080p, shutter angle, decent Touch AF and tracking, multi strength, body selectable NDs, internal zoom, slow/quick at the touch of a button. Even with all its strengths, it just isn't worth $1200 in my opinion.

The RX10ii I really liked as well, solid 4K image, okay 1080p at hfr, good preamps, sLog2 but both feel more like camcorders than S16.

That zoom through wide angle is a cool trick. I had one for my ZR60 back in the day.

I hope Canon continues to update the XC line. As is, it's a blast to shoot with, with a few refinements, it could be epic.

Hi!

I'm new to the forum, have been reading it for 2 years but I have never published any post until today. I purchased Canon XC10 about year ago, And I must say that I'm happy with the camera. I started filming 6 year ago for a hobby with a Sony camcorder. So i think  I better understand the principle of XC10. It's not a master production film video camera but it's excelent run and gun camera for filming events or b-cam for bigger indie productions. So it's understandable that those who have always using dslr-s for video don't understand the concept of XC10. Sometimes the bigger sensors cause problems with focus because of much smaller depth of field. This is sometimes downside when you have no time and you have to do quick shot.
The only thing I would add to the XC10 is fixed aperture and servo zoom. Then may be a masterpiece.

I'll share two my video links (from 2 events) in the bottom of article. I tested XC10 for this two videos. Beside XC10 I'm used few more cameras for thoose 2 videos. Panasonic GH3 (with Olympus 45mm f1.8 lens) Sony HvrA1e camcorder (it was one of the first 1080i camcorders from 2005) and Phantom 3 Professional dron (shooted in 4k downscaled to 1080p in post). More or less i used XC10 for steadicam shots (used with Beholder DS1 gimbal). Filmed in 1080p resolution 50fps mxf format and Canon Log picture profile. In post I'm furthermore stabilized all the clips with Warp Stabilizer, so picture is not in full resolution maybe 10 procent zoomed in. I'm colour graded and matched all the cameras clips with Filmconvert. I hope I achieved good result. 
I must point out that I am not a professional. I'm dealing with video in my free time.

P.S Sorry for my english grammar!

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Cool video. Makes me want to take a ride on ny MB as well as find a good deal on a XC10 (I look for one every day).

Great camera had one for a while,just factor into your workings the cost  of cfast 2 media.Still very expensive....

• Super Members
1 hour ago, BLACKOUT said:

Great camera had one for a while,just factor into your workings the cost  of cfast 2 media.Still very expensive....

I also had one. Didn't find the media very expensive. I think it is somewhere back in this thread that I post some links on the subject.

I just got a XC15 and I haven't yet figured out the best way to expose when using Canon Log. I know that middle grey should be at 32 IRE but the on-screen waveform monitor is quite small, so I'm not sure if that's the best way. If I put the camera in shutter priority mode, set it at 1/48 (I'm shooting at 24 fps) and ISO 500, will the camera correctly auto expose for the best results in log? Or should I over expose by two stops? 

Thanks...and I promise to read more of the thread to answer more of these questions myself!

On 4/28/2017 at 2:24 PM, hyalinejim said:

Yes, EOS Standard is one of the ready to go profiles but it has the least heavy noise reduction applied to it. 

Does this have less NR than Wide DR? I know this was a later addition.

22 hours ago, Brummy said:

The only thing I would add to the XC10 is fixed aperture and servo zoom. Then may be a masterpiece.

Nice work. I would probably have guessed it was c100 if I didn't know. 

I agree. I wish it was a constant 3.5 at least, a servo would be awesome.

5 minutes ago, bertholddiederich said:

I just got a XC15 and I haven't yet figured out the best way to expose when using Canon Log. I know that middle grey should be at 32 IRE but the on-screen waveform monitor is quite small, so I'm not sure if that's the best way. If I put the camera in shutter priority mode, set it at 1/48 (I'm shooting at 24 fps) and ISO 500, will the camera correctly auto expose for the best results in log? Or should I over expose by two stops? 

Thanks...and I promise to read more of the thread to answer more of these questions myself!

I think it depends on the situation. You could try a grey card. I usually use the exposure guide on the bottom and push it a few stops if there's shadows in the scene that could get noisy. I definitely think it looks better ETTR. You could figure out where your shadows get noisy (probably around 15-20ire in c-log) and try to avoid that. I think you should stress test it and see what works for you. 

I do think that an external variable ND filter is definitely needed. I find I get the best results when shooting between f2.8 and f8. At f11-f16, it seems to get a little weird, maybe too many things are in focus and the compression breaks it. 

• Super Members
8 hours ago, bertholddiederich said:

I always went ETTR with the clog, always happy with it.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Dominic Jackson said:

Hey guys I thought this was constant aperture if it was 4.4 or 5.6 depending on the focal length.  But when I zoom in or out is changes the exposure as if to compensate somehow.

It is constant aperture but it takes light longer to travel to the sensor the longer the focal length and it looks like an exposure shift

Hi guys

I've been following this thread with a lot of interest. I've got a C300mkii and hoping to use the XC15 as a b-cam. Some of the footage posted is quite stellar!

I'm not sure if it was fully determined to what extent the XC15 suffers the same problems as the XC10. Seems like people have chalked it up to a camera by camera situation.

Are there any other XC15 owners here who can attest, either way, to similar ghosting/noise reduction problems?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

17 hours ago, seanstiller said:

Hi guys

I've been following this thread with a lot of interest. I've got a C300mkii and hoping to use the XC15 as a b-cam. Some of the footage posted is quite stellar!

I'm not sure if it was fully determined to what extent the XC15 suffers the same problems as the XC10. Seems like people have chalked it up to a camera by camera situation.

Are there any other XC15 owners here who can attest, either way, to similar ghosting/noise reduction problems?

Thanks in advance!

Sean

Has anyone posted a side-by-side that demonstrates this variation, either between two XC10's or the XC10 and XC15? I've read plenty of speculation, but no actual tests.

• 3 months later...