Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, Ken Ford said:

Not a fan of the GH4 after playing with a friend's, and while the GH5 has amazing specs it's considerably more expensive than either XC once native glass is taken into account.

If you are taking it on your honeymoon I imagine that you will want to shoot stills as well. Keep in mind that although the XC10/15 can shoot "stills", they are a far cry from anything that a hybrid can do (since those are real stills cameras with high end video functionality included). The XC cameras are essentially video cameras, not hybrids.

As I said before, you don't need to get the camera right now, wait a few months and you probably will have some excellent hybrid alternatives.

3 hours ago, tugela said:

If you are taking it on your honeymoon I imagine that you will want to shoot stills as well. Keep in mind that although the XC10/15 can shoot "stills", they are a far cry from anything that a hybrid can do (since those are real stills cameras with high end video functionality included). The XC cameras are essentially video cameras, not hybrids.

As I said before, you don't need to get the camera right now, wait a few months and you probably will have some excellent hybrid alternatives.

I'm happy with what I expect the XC10 can offer me, I'll also be bringing along either the Leicas or (more likely) the Df with several lenses for stills.  To be honest I'm not hugely impressed with most of what's out there. Also, I can get several months of railroad action and other shooting in before the honeymoon.

Those cameras draw too much attention and require rigging.

Actually the C100ii, if you lose the top handle, just looks like an oversized SLR - no extra rigging required. I figure - given that most thieves are pretty stupid - that bad guys would just figure you couldn't afford a new, small, sexy camera and leave you alone. Of course if you need decent sound that's a different matter, but for a lot of the stuff you shoot, where you're putting a music track wholly or partially over the location sound it would be aces. And I know your work, so I know you'd love the image!

Edited to add that the movie is fantastic - everything we've come to expect from you and more. Also (and this is important) I get that it's not just pretty pictures - there seems to me to be a subtly implied message as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to find a hard case made specially for XC10 but the one I've found is too bulky. Can anyone suggest a compact hard case that fits XC10 dimensions? It's only for the camera as it's going to live in backpack with other accessories packed separately.

• 2 weeks later...

I borrowed a XC15 from my LCS for a day ... when I returned it they had a GH5 that I picked up.

Played with the files out of the XC15 this afternoon and there is much to laud in them. Just

difficult without a couple extra programmable buttons and more than one ND setting.

Bob

On 2017-01-19 at 5:51 PM, hijodeibn said:

XC10/15 image quality was my biggest disappointment in 2016, I was looking for something to go gun and run and the camera looks like a dream in paper…..but just in paper, I think all XC10 owners here already sell their cameras and moved to something else, in my case I finally went C100 route, and very happy for now!!!

Wow! Comparing apple juice and wine!

4 hours ago, jydurocher said:

Wow! Comparing apple juice and wine!

Well, I think the comparison is valid, certainly the C100 is a cinema camera with incredible features, but the XC10 also can replace it in many situations using the right external elements, like for example adding a good external recorder, but the issue is the ghosting, I can`t live with that, also the size of the XC10 is so right, it looks like any other camera, in the other hand the C100 attract too much attention from random people, if a XC20 is released without ghosting I will be probably moving to that, but I don`t think this issue is going to be fixed soon, canon C300 mk II, yes the latest canon cinema camera, also has the same kind of ghosting than the XC10, just harder to find, but still there…..

2 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Well, I think the comparison is valid, certainly the C100 is a cinema camera with incredible features, but the XC10 also can replace it in many situations using the right external elements, like for example adding a good external recorder, but the issue is the ghosting, I can`t live with that, also the size of the XC10 is so right, it looks like any other camera, in the other hand the C100 attract too much attention from random people, if a XC20 is released without ghosting I will be probably moving to that, but I don`t think this issue is going to be fixed soon, canon C300 mk II, yes the latest canon cinema camera, also has the same kind of ghosting than the XC10, just harder to find, but still there…..

Yeah, I really hope they make a better version of this camera. Wish I could justify owning this, the perfect little camera for picking off b roll outdoors. 

On 4/9/2017 at 5:22 PM, docmoore said:

I borrowed a XC15 from my LCS for a day ... when I returned it they had a GH5 that I picked up.

Played with the files out of the XC15 this afternoon and there is much to laud in them. Just

difficult without a couple extra programmable buttons and more than one ND setting.

Bob

Private.