Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@gatopardo Nope, sony f3. I gotta say I love everything but the bulk of the camera. The image even with just the internal recording is so far ahead of anything i've used before. I really liked the xc10 but the quality just drops off a cliff after iso 800, which with the slow lens happens in all but direct sunlight. I think canon tried to over sell the specs and cover up the ghosting which they fixed with a new version of the camera. Thats the reason I'll never buy anything new from canon again. I hope they are reading this thread.

7 hours ago, Amook said:

@gatopardo Nope, sony f3. I gotta say I love everything but the bulk of the camera. The image even with just the internal recording is so far ahead of anything i've used before. I really liked the xc10 but the quality just drops off a cliff after iso 800, which with the slow lens happens in all but direct sunlight. I think canon tried to over sell the specs and cover up the ghosting which they fixed with a new version of the camera. Thats the reason I'll never buy anything new from canon again. I hope they are reading this thread.

Very good image indeed. The shown specs don't always make a good image. See the olympus E.m1 markii for example. Poor image but good specs. GH5 the same. 

21 hours ago, Amook said:

Hey Amook,

great looking quality! Did you do the shots with the internal codec or external recording with the F3, if external, with HDMI or SDI out?

Thinking about that camera for a while.

cheers

On 8 January 2017 at 1:04 PM, Amook said:

I have to say I'm very happy I decided to dump the xc10. I simply could not achieve anything like this.

framegrab.jpg

The F3 is a great image for sure, but I'm not sure its entirely fair to judge the XC10 against it -they are quite different beasts with quite different uses.  If you are dealing the the bulk and setup of an F3 for your work, then the XC10 is not the camera you should be getting.

20 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

XC10/15 image quality was my biggest disappointment in 2016, I was looking for something to go gun and run and the camera looks like a dream in paper…..but just in paper, I think all XC10 owners here already sell their cameras and moved to something else, in my case I finally went C100 route, and very happy for now!!!

I disagree, the XC10 has some issues but it also has some tremendous strengths. I did sell mine, but it had nothing to do with its IQ, it had to do with my lack of time in using it and the amount the camera was losing its value on the second hand market. There were some ghosting issues but I only ever saw it when I stess tested it for this site. In everyday scenarios I never had the issue. If it goes below a thousand dollars, I may buy another.

38 minutes ago, mercer said:

I disagree, the XC10 has some issues but it also has some tremendous strengths. I did sell mine, but it had nothing to do with its IQ, it had to do with my lack of time in using it and the amount the camera was losing its value on the second hand market. There were some ghosting issues but I only ever saw it when I stess tested it for this site. In everyday scenarios I never had the issue. If it goes below a thousand dollars, I may buy another.

Well, if you are happy with a camera you really don't sell it, and the depretiation in the market really doesn't matter if you are getting good results, for me it really was a big disappointing, since looks perfect but the ghosting was impossible to avoid from the tests showed here, especially at night with ISO3200, anyway, if in the future I cross my path with one of the XC15 without ghosting (someone get one so not all the cameras had the issue), I will certainly buy it….

4 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Well, if you are happy with a camera you really don't sell it, and the depretiation in the market really doesn't matter if you are getting good results, for me it really was a big disappointing, since looks perfect but the ghosting was impossible to avoid from the tests showed here, especially at night with ISO3200, anyway, if in the future I cross my path with one of the XC15 without ghosting (someone get one so not all the cameras had the issue), I will certainly buy it….

Idk, cameras aren't supposed to look good at 3200 ISO, that's why they make lights. I was getting clean results up to 1600 ISO, which was a first for me with any camera I have owned, but I still never used it... I'd light for native ISO in c-log... but everyone's different with different needs.

And I don't know what kind of camera budget you have but I can't afford a camera that loses about 40% of its value less than two months after I bought it.

I haven't sold mine and don't plan to.  For a grab and go camera I think its great.  Does it have a few weaknesses -yes but hey all cameras do.  For me its been great having a camera thats designed for video rather than stills first, and the IQ is pretty nice considering its a 1 inch sensor  and the IS is really great.  I haven't seen any issues with ghosting with mine (PAL version) but also haven't gone hunting for it as I'm happy with the end results. If a C100 form factor works for your type of shooting, then yes it will be better IQ wise given the s35 sensor, but the C100 is a different class of camera that the XC10 compliments rather than directly competes with.

I have to say if the XC10 was the biggest bummer you had in 2016 then you did pretty well, considering the other clusterf**ks that happened around the world last year.....

On 20 de enero de 2017 at 9:19 PM, mercer said:

And I don't know what kind of camera budget you have but I can't afford a camera that loses about 40% of its value less than two months after I bought it.

Well, to be honest my budget is very limited, that's the reason I am the kind of person that always buy a camera or lens after watching many reviews, and I will never pre-order anything, I don't have the money to take that risk, I was looking for a run and gun camera, which can go at least ISO3200 and looks good enough, I am traveling SOLO to an island for a doc in March-April and the only light will be the LEDs I will be carrying, so thats the reason of my disappointing with the XC10/15, I was very close to get a XC15 after one of the forum members showed his footage and there was no ghosting, but luckily  another member reported later his XC15 also had ghosting, so the quality of the image was not standard and I can not take the risk to get a bad unit…..

On 20 de enero de 2017 at 2:08 AM, kidzrevil said:

I got ghosting at 800. My shots looked good only because of my composition. I vowed never to take advice from a forum ever again after the xc10 lolllll

it has its strong points tho

I feel your pain, ghosting at 800 is a nightmare, very strange Canon made a camera with such fluctuation in quality, if you are lucky and get a good one you really made it, but in my case I don't have the time or the money to take such a risk, so I played safe and went for the C100, it is not 4k, but the camera read in 4k and down-sample to HD….and is a proven workhorse, for now very happy with it, I hope to keep the same opinion after the shooting in the field….

My friend is selling his XC10 right now and try to get A7SII instead, he used to have A7S but sold that to get XC10 because of the "image quality" touted by online forum and easier match to his C100, turns out quality is crap to his C100, he really dont want to deal with Sony colour I guess he have no choice lol

8 hours ago, ntblowz said:

My friend is selling his XC10 right now and try to get A7SII instead, he used to have A7S but sold that to get XC10 because of the "image quality" touted by online forum and easier match to his C100, turns out quality is crap to his C100, he really dont want to deal with Sony colour I guess he have no choice lol

Probably a Gx85, G80, or a GH5 could be a better option to match C100 color, for my C100 I am seriously thinking to get a GX85 as a B camera, I liked the IBIS on it and of course the price, in the second market they are going very cheap now….

It has been shown a hundred times how well a xc10 fits the C100. Buy some Panasonic the colors fit perfectly to the C100 ... and the IBIS needs nobody who works professionally. Yes for my vacation videos, he is in very rare sense.
So buy ... it is enough what you tell us. ;-)

Sorry :(

13 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Its amazing how the XC10 went from crap-what was Canon thinking, to the XC10 is amazing-how did the internets get this camera so wrong, back to the XC10 is crap-I won't ever believe what the internets tell me ever again.  

In reality, it has very nice IQ in good light, and better than expected IQ in low light given the sensor size and slow lens.  IMO it makes up for any low light deficiencies with the form factor, c-log, lens range and great image stabilisation.

If you use it for what is it intended and play to its strengths, its a nice compliment to a C100.  Its not an A7S but then its probably not really fair to compare a 12 megapixel full frame sensor to a 12 megapixel 1 inch sensor for pure IQ in low light.  In good light, I think it holds it own and is very very easy to match to other C cameras.