Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

@Andrew Reid

Andrew, as you tested and reviewed the XC10, I would like to hear your evaluation on the low light capabilities of the camera - compared to one of the Sony RX models (same sensor size 1") and finally compared even with the GH4 (I know, it's a bigger sensor but cropped MFT, as the GH4 was not known as low light monster). Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Panasonic g85 ! Not waiting for the gh5 !

I've been testing a few cameras over the past month, with my last test being with the FZ2500... which I am definitely keeping... I love the 200mbps 1080p... even though most people don't recommend shooting with it. I never owned a GH4, but it seems like a mini GH4. Overall, I think the XC10 image was thicker with that 4:22 codec, but for the price I paid for the FZ2500, I like it better. In about a month I am going to get a BMPCC.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you do with the G85... if the IBIS is anything like the GX85, you should be a happy guy. 

On 12/25/2016 at 3:20 PM, hijodeibn said:

For the price the g85 is a good choice, GH5 will be around 2K, that´s too much, plus the speedbooster, it is going to be a very expensive set up. 

Plus I don't need 10 bit ! Cinelike D was always good enough for me. That plus stabilization is a God send

On 10/8/2015 at 4:40 AM, Lintelfilm said:

You should absolutely start your own blog Ebrahim. You've got the knowledge and experience, access to kit, good writing style. Or offer articles to Newshooter or some other blog like that. Seriously - I think you should consider it!

Very ironic clicking on these old threads and seeing posts like this pop up at the top to read first.

Wasn't that the same guy that asked to get banned and went to write paid articles somewhere himself? :grin: Guess there's a tiny bit of irony there. Though, in his defence, after having cooled off for a bit he came back with a proper attitude (forgiven but apparently not forgotten quite yet, sorry bro). Ebrahim has been given a lot of chances, but I guess a soab once is a soab for life.

I can't get over the banding in blue skies this camera seems to be prone to.The 305mb/s 4.2.2 codec should be more robust than this as my A7r2 using an (on paper) much worse codec doesn't suffer nearly as much.The banding doesn't get cured when you use an external recorder either. I really want to like this camera but this is not acceptable.

Just now, Amook said:

I sold mine as I couldn't get over the ghosting problems. I don't think I'll buy a canon for a while. Customer service was pretty bad.

Same

3 hours ago, Shirozina said:

I can't get over the banding in blue skies this camera seems to be prone to.The 305mb/s 4.2.2 codec should be more robust than this as my A7r2 using an (on paper) much worse codec doesn't suffer nearly as much.The banding doesn't get cured when you use an external recorder either. I really want to like this camera but this is not acceptable.

The #s they put out are hella inflated. You can get the quality out if it but dont trust those #s at all

On 12/25/2016 at 1:53 PM, mercer said:

I've been testing a few cameras over the past month, with my last test being with the FZ2500... which I am definitely keeping... I love the 200mbps 1080p... even though most people don't recommend shooting with it. I never owned a GH4, but it seems like a mini GH4. Overall, I think the XC10 image was thicker with that 4:22 codec, but for the price I paid for the FZ2500, I like it better. In about a month I am going to get a BMPCC.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you do with the G85... if the IBIS is anything like the GX85, you should be a happy guy. 

I thought you were going to buy a BMCC MFT?? Not the BMPCC. I too am looking at a BMPCC to buy again.

BMCC is better output, just not much fun to rig and can't strip down to throw in a backpack, coatpocket.

5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I thought you were going to buy a BMCC MFT?? Not the BMPCC. I too am looking at a BMPCC to buy again.

BMCC is better output, just not much fun to rig and can't strip down to throw in a backpack, coatpocket.

I had the BMMCC and hated rigging it up... so I don't think I could handle rigging the BMCC. I also briefly had a Pocket a few months back, but I had a lemon and the thing overheated so much I could barely hold it. So I returned it. A few weeks back I looked at some of the footage and it looked better than anything I have ever shot. I also used it without any monitor with the Panny 12-35mm with OIS... I basically treated it like a point and shoot. This time I picked up a Nikon-BMPCC Speedbooster.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

I had the BMMCC and hated rigging it up... so I don't think I could handle rigging the BMCC. I also briefly had a Pocket a few months back, but I had a lemon and the thing overheated so much I could barely hold it. So I returned it. A few weeks back I looked at some of the footage and it looked better than anything I have ever shot. I also used it without any monitor with the Panny 12-35mm with OIS... I basically treated it like a point and shoot. This time I picked up a Nikon-BMPCC Speedbooster.

Ah I see. Yeah I think the Nikon Speedbooster is the way to go on a Pocket. Just too many good Nikon manual focus lenses around for peanuts to pass up. And they have out G lens Apture control adapters. I have one myself.