Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On October 27, 2016 at 8:09 PM, kidzrevil said:

Downscaled 4K frames from the xc10 

IMG_7558.PNG

IMG_7571.PNG

Hell yeah. These are great. The fringing around the high contrast blown highlights is a weakness of this camera, looks like you are solving it before post.

Thought some of this was pretty nice looking. Cool to see real world footage. Lowlight looks nice. Corporate stuff with clean looking colors. 

Thanks ! I love how this camera responds to diffusion ESPECIALLY in Canon LOG. Gonna go back to shooting in C-LOG because apparently it has no color fringing in the highlights like the other profiles. I think the camera is applying a negative gain to the other profiles which is causing the fringing....who knows just a hunch. 

I have a shoot today I will be using Canon LOG with a new diffusion filter I picked up so fingers crossed :-) @BenEricson

@hyalinejim "deMISTifies" lmao

I got a tiffen black satin 1 & 3. They are pretty good to me...real subtle and gives a natural look. Some people don't like the texture it adds to bokeh but to me it looks good with the deep depth of field from the super 16mm sensor. The black pro mist 1/4 is definitely a good look on the xc10 but I am going to order a 1/8th to experiment. Going forward I am going to only use diffusion with C-LOG because it handles gradation and hold highlights better. Using these mist filters with the other profiles sometimes ends in disaster because of the color fringing around the highlights.

To chip in to the diffusion chat, I have a few tiffen HDTVFX and UltraContrast filters I used a lot with my gh4. I must try them on my XC10. Personally I like these two because they don't add the mist look to highlights but still take the digital edge off. The only thing I don't like is the ghosting they create with in-frame light sources. That's the only reason they're not on my lenses 24/7. I like No.2 strength best.

4 hours ago, Lintelfilm said:

To chip in to the diffusion chat, I have a few tiffen HDTVFX and UltraContrast filters I used a lot with my gh4. I must try them on my XC10. Personally I like these two because they don't add the mist look to highlights but still take the digital edge off. The only thing I don't like is the ghosting they create with in-frame light sources. That's the only reason they're not on my lenses 24/7. I like No.2 strength best.

Have you tried their plugin diffusers? 

Is there a major difference when using them on the  lens?

Would love to know... 

However,  looking at their plugin prices it might be cheaper going physical. But as far as end results go?

4 hours ago, Lintelfilm said:

im going to say this without sounding like a purist typical forum dwelling asshole

IF YOU CAN DO IT IN CAMERA THEN DO IT IN CAMERA!!!! :-D

Light has literally an infinite amount of variables before it hits the lens,passes through the filter, the sensor then the 14bit raw conversion. When you do it in post your doing a computer generated idea of what diffused lighting looks like after a 10 or 8 bit conversion.

Get a filter and test it out and you will see it looks infinitely better than what you can get in post 

10 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

im going to say this without sounding like a purist typical forum dwelling asshole

IF YOU CAN DO IT IN CAMERA THEN DO IT IN CAMERA!!!! :-D

Light has literally an infinite amount of variables before it hits the lens,passes through the filter, the sensor then the 14bit raw conversion. When you do it in post your doing a computer generated idea of what diffused lighting looks like after a 10 or 8 bit conversion.

Get a filter and test it out and you will see it looks infinitely better than what you can get in post 

Got it, thanks! Not assholly at all.  Perfect argument: 

Bullet point... benefit... close.

How it should be always:-)

Edit: if you worked for Tiffen you  would have just made a sale! 

1 hour ago, HelsinkiZim said:

Got it, thanks! Not assholly at all.  Perfect argument: 

Bullet point... benefit... close.

How it should be always:-)

Edit: if you worked for Tiffen you  would have just made a sale! 

*contacts Tiffen right away and prays for job* lmao 

Just went through a stack of these filters testing em out on the xc10 

All I gotta say is heavy diffusion plus the EOS Standard profile is a God send! Im blown away

Experimenting with it on my shoot tommorrow....I can't wait to share the results aint no way im sleeping tonight ?

That vid @BenEricson posted was shot with EOS standard and that inspired my test 

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Just went through a stack of these filters testing em out on the xc10 

All I gotta say is heavy diffusion plus the EOS Standard profile is a God send! Im blown away

Experimenting with it on my shoot tommorrow....I can't wait to share the results aint no way im sleeping tonight ?

That vid @BenEricson posted was shot with EOS standard and that inspired my test 

image.jpg

You gotta give us a taste... Lol. Good luck with your shoot tomorrow.