Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, jgharding said:

Clog is great on XC10, it's like a baby C100, excpet with 50p1080 and 4K.

Wide DR is broken on mine though. loads of FPN and noise. This only seems to affect Wide DR.

So, the c log in 1080p is comparable to the c log on the c100? How is the build quality? I am ready to press buy on this one, I just have a few questions. How much record time to you get on c fast cards and also 1080 c log on the SDXC cards?

4K fills up cards quickly as bitrate is very high,

1080p25 is 35mbps and 4K can be 10-times that, so you won't get as much 4K footage as you will 1080p.

I use similar luts on C100 and XC10 Clog.

XC10 is well built. I'm happy it's more robust than similar Sony cameras. The slowing of the lens at the long end is a slight niggle, but all in all it's a good B-cam for bigger C siblings.

I hope for a V2 with a faster lens and higher frame rates, as the faster 720p footage is a bit too noisy.

I'd share some 4K now, but my card reader has gone missing! :/

I appreciate your help. I'm kinda excited to use a camcorder again. There's 3 of us that shoot narratives, my one friend loves his dslr, and my other friend is thinking of switching to a used af100 because he misses his days with the hv20. We do pretty low budget stuff, so the XC10 is a pretty big investment for me. Anyway, thanks for your help and if you can think of any tips, or pros and cons... Other than the obvious ones, I have about an hour before I hit "buy."

@jgharding

1 hour ago, jgharding said:

1080p25 is 35mbps and 4K can be 10-times that, so you won't get as much 4K footage as you will 1080p.

Hey JGHarding!

was thinking the XC10 should have a 50mbps 422 broadcast codec for 1080p:

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashcam.de%2Fartikel%2FTest%2FCanon-XC10---geschrumpfte-C300---Aufzeichnungsformate.html%23Aufze&edit-text=

On that site they also got a chart showing nearly perfect 1080p resolution, better than GH2 if you compare it

from their database.

Camera looks promising. Worth renting over the weekend I´d say, even if it would just be for the 1080p 422.

So is CLOG also available in HD format?

9 minutes ago, mercer said:

I appreciate your help. I'm kinda excited to use a camcorder again. There's 3 of us that shoot narratives, my one friend loves his dslr, and my other friend is thinking of switching to a used af100 because he misses his days with the hv20. We do pretty low budget stuff, so the XC10 is a pretty big investment for me. Anyway, thanks for your help and if you can think of any tips, or pros and cons... Other than the obvious ones, I have about an hour before I hit "buy."

@jgharding

Hey merce, happy to type in the friendly and ordinary Eoshd area again:)

Friend of mine loves his mini DV camcorders for their handling and their 3 CCDs. Just the interlacing...:)

In the vid I posted in the thread about the 8mm digilook we filmed with four diferent cams, two mini DV cams and two photocams-

I dare myself to call my own camera just a photocam- it´s a G6, darn!:)

11 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey JGHarding!

was thinking the XC10 should have a 50mbps 422 broadcast codec for 1080p:

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashcam.de%2Fartikel%2FTest%2FCanon-XC10---geschrumpfte-C300---Aufzeichnungsformate.html%23Aufze&edit-text=

On that site they also got a chart showing nearly perfect 1080p resolution, better than GH2 if you compare it

from their database.

Camera looks promising. Worth renting over the weekend I´d say, even if it would just be for the 1080p 422.

So is CLOG also available in HD format?

Hey merce, happy to type in the friendly and ordinary Eoshd area again:)

Friend of mine loves his mini DV camcorders for their handling and their 3 CCDs. Just the interlacing...:)

In the vid I posted in the thread about the 8mm digilook we filmed with four diferent cams, two mini DV cams and two photocams-

I dare myself to call my own camera just a photocam- it´s a G6, darn!:)

Yeah that thread was getting a bit too much after that "anonymous" character was brought into it... It was probably a little too much before that as well, though. 

I know you didn't ask me, but yes the XC10 shoots c log in 1080p up to 60p. I believe it's an internal downscale like the other c series cameras do as well. Of course some of that tech spec lingo is Greek to me a lot of times.

Oh yeah, btw, I meant to reply to that comment. I really liked what you guys did with those SD cams. And as I said, I look forward to shooting with a poor man's C100. Of course, I am kinda going through an existential crisis because I still need a camera to use my lenses on... I love my lenses. 

8 minutes ago, jgharding said:

options:

4K at 25p 205mbps or 305mbps

1080p at 50p/50mbps 50i/35mbps and 25p/35mbps

Doesn't seem to be a "world cam" so I only get PAL here.

Clog available in all modes

Do you use yours primarily for 4K or 1080p? Due to the cost of the cfast 2.0 cards, I'll probably use it mostly in 1080p. Of course, the option to shoot in 4K is a major reason for me purchasing one... And I guess on some level, you don't get a 4K camera to shoot in 1080p... But this camera has always seemed to be the exception to the "rules."

2 hours ago, jgharding said:

Clog is great on XC10, it's like a baby C100, excpet with 50p1080 and 4K.

Wide DR is broken on mine though. loads of FPN and noise. This only seems to affect Wide DR.

so 1080p has better DR than 4k? interesting....

could you share some footage as you can?

8 minutes ago, anto said:

so 1080p has better DR than 4k? interesting....

could you share some footage as you can?

no, the Wide-DR picture style doesn't work on mine. Picture styles are sperate from 4K or 1080p settings.

Mine is stil V1 firmware though, need to update. so the Wide-DR could be fixed.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

So, the c log in 1080p is comparable to the c log on the c100? How is the build quality? I am ready to press buy on this one, I just have a few questions. How much record time to you get on c fast cards and also 1080 c log on the SDXC cards?

Also 4K only records to the Cfast card and HD records to the SD card only.  The build quality of the XC10 is great.  The view finder works well in bright shooting environments and for RunnGun in good lighting it is my favorite camera to shoot with. The 5 axis + lens stabilization + clog + light weight + viewfinder + autofocus + 4k make it very fun to shoot with.  Low light interiors not so much...you will need to light but was recently improved via firmware update. I did just picke up a C100 MK2 to handle more challenging lighting situations, but any other time i i'll prefer to reach for the XC10.  CLOG is great too.  It seems soft when you look at it but load it into resolve and it sharpens/grades surprisingly well.  I'm betting the 4k high bitrate grades better than the CLOG for the C100.  If I get some time this weekend i'll do a comparison shoot with both. 

2 minutes ago, jpfilmz said:

Also 4K only records to the Cfast card and HD records to the SD card only.  The build quality of the XC10 is great.  The view finder works well in bright shooting environments and for RunnGun in good lighting it is my favorite camera to shoot with. The 5 axis + lens stabilization + clog + light weight + viewfinder + autofocus + 4k make it very fun to shoot with.  Low light interiors not so much...you will need to light but was recently improved via firmware update. I did just picke up a C100 MK2 to handle more challenging lighting situations, but any other time i i'll prefer to reach for the XC10.  CLOG is great too.  It seems soft when you look at it but load it into resolve and it sharpens/grades surprisingly well.  I'm betting the 4k high bitrate grades better than the CLOG for the C100.  If I get some time this weekend i'll do a comparison shoot with both. 

Thanks a lot, but just to clarify, the 5-Axis only works in 1080p mode, correct? In 4K, you are limited to 3-Axis? How is the 3-Axis?

23 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks a lot, but just to clarify, the 5-Axis only works in 1080p mode, correct? In 4K, you are limited to 3-Axis? How is the 3-Axis?

Correct.  5-Axis is only in 1080p.  The 4K stabilization good too. It gets rid of shaky hand footage, but you won't be able to walk and get gimbal like footage as from the 5 axis hd mode.  

30 minutes ago, jpfilmz said:

Correct.  5-Axis is only in 1080p.  The 4K stabilization good too. It gets rid of shaky hand footage, but you won't be able to walk and get gimbal like footage as from the 5 axis hd mode.  

Really, it's that smooth with the 5-Axis? Sweet. Does it eat up the battery when using it?

2 hours ago, jpfilmz said:

Also 4K only records to the Cfast card and HD records to the SD card only.  

That is a bit weird, I wonder why they did that? I would have thought the option to record HD to CFast at a higher bit rate would have been attractive to many users. If you are interested in maximizing quality you are probably not going to quibble over the (relatively) small premium you would pay for the faster card.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Really, it's that smooth with the 5-Axis? Sweet. Does it eat up the battery when using it?

Yes it's that smooth.  Not that i can tell, but if you use it in 4K it definitely uses more power and the exhaust vent is on more...but it's nothing noticeable.  Below is not my video but some good examples of hand held work.

18 minutes ago, mercer said:

One more quick question... how are you guys handling the mxf files in post? I know FCPX accepts them natively now, but do you convert them to ProRes, or comparable, beforehand with EditReady, or ClipWrap or something?

I import into resolve, grade and export out as prores.

42 minutes ago, jpfilmz said:

Yes it's that smooth.  Not that i can tell, but if you use it in 4K it definitely uses more power and the exhaust vent is on more...but it's nothing noticeable.  Below is not my video but some good examples of hand held work.

I import into resolve, grade and export out as prores.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I have a feeling I'll be using it more in 1080p than 4K.