Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

Canon is on the right track with this camera. The form factor is great. Just put a bigger sensor in it (super35 or fullframe) and make it interchangeable ef mount, so we can use the tons of lenses we already bought. Also it would be great to have dual pixel tech in it and the possibility to remove the hand grip so it gets more gimbal drone friendly. But there is a big problem with this concept, it kills the c100 line of cameras.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What I meant was, this XC10 design is for me more appealing than the so called c-line. I like this compact design, and it would be great if you could use other lenses, more fast and compact. I know that the c-line offers you this possibility and it would be stupid from canon to lunch a camera that competes with their own cameras. But from what i saw on your review this camera is more light, compact and less intimidating than a c100 or c300, also the color science is good, the rolling shutter is acceptable and the codec maybe is not very editing friendly but it makes a good job, at least I don't see banding, moire, aliasing or strange artefacts on most of the footage out there. 

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

IMO it is the C-line. What you are asking for already exist :)

On 4/5/2016 at 6:07 PM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Give it a mount that can use S16mm glass and this would be a pretty cool competitor to the BMPCC/BMMCC.

Kind of a glass-half-empty thinking.

From my point of view, give the BMPCC some auto-exposure functionality, 4K and a great fixed lens, and at would be a cool competitor to the XC10.

4 minutes ago, KrisAK said:

Kind of a glass-half-empty thinking.

From my point of view, give the BMPCC some auto-exposure functionality, 4K and a great fixed lens, and at would be a cool competitor to the XC10.

That requires a lot more effort on BM's part (new sensor, new firmware/processing, new body design, new codecs, lens design/partnership/manufacturing) than Canon's (remove lens, add EF-M mount).

6 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

That requires a lot more effort on BM's part (new sensor, new firmware/processing, new body design, new codecs, lens design/partnership/manufacturing) than Canon's (remove lens, add EF-M mount).

Good call. Put an ef-m mount on this bastard and sell it as a body only camera for $1500. 

I understand product protection, but Canon really needs to take a page from Sony's handbook. The ef-M mount was one of the best innovations by canon in the past 5 years... They honestly did everything right with it... Including a slow rollout of native lenses. Now it just sits there for subpar, sub $500 selfie cameras. 

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Right!? I'm genuinely stunned they haven't stuck the EF-M mount on a Cinema EOS camera yet. Here they've got a great mirrorless mount with speed boosters and adapters for EF(-S) compatibility just sitting there and they're doing precisely dick all with it.

Yep EF-M mount with a speedbooster adapter and native support for AF from Canon would immediately increase the value of any camera they put it on. Be it C500 or M3. 

Rejoice guys:

The XC10 4K Camcorder firmware will be updated to include a new file format MP4 in HD mode (35 Mbps only), improved AF speed, and shutter speed options for flicker reduction.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-u-s-a-announces-a-host-of-product-firmware-updates-at-nab-2016/#ixzz45mlJA5AL

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, tugela said:

Well now.....that just changes everything! Being able to shoot at 35 mbps is an amazing leap forward, other manufacturers need to take note and follow Canon's lead. It is great that Canon continue to innovate like this! Bravo!

Youre right, they should take note. Both 35mbps as well as 200 and 305mbps 4:2:2 Log in 4K and an editable format would have saved the NX1 from extinction.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Rejoice guys:

The XC10 4K Camcorder firmware will be updated to include a new file format MP4 in HD mode (35 Mbps only), improved AF speed, and shutter speed options for flicker reduction.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-u-s-a-announces-a-host-of-product-firmware-updates-at-nab-2016/#ixzz45mlJA5AL

FFS

It's pathetic.

They could have at least tweaked the control scheme.

And they waited till NAB to reveal 'this'. Camera's been out a year!

Having said that any firmware update or added functionality is very rare from Canon. Maybe they are going to get better at firmware updates and follow Sony's lead from now on. Hopefully it won't lead to more bugs in the version 1.0 cameras as a result.