Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Raw on the FS5 can go straight to ProRes on the Odyssey 7Q+

Much more practical than handling the file sizes of Cinema DNG raw in 4K!!

I just hope the firmware update doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And yes it would add the bulk of the recorder... but hell is the FS5 small and light. 0.8kg body only!!

Won't happen. Best bet is asking for XAVC-L 4K mode improvement.

Doesn't need!

It shoots 10bit 4:2:2 internally at up to 240fps.

Ok it is 1080p but this is a GREAT feature and really overlooked.

My FS5 arrived today. Found it £4000 inc VAT ex-demo at WEX in the UK... and that was even the 16-105mm F4 OIS zoom kit.

Bargain compared to the C100 II!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My FS5 arrived today. Found it £4000 inc VAT ex-demo at WEX in the UK... and that was even the 16-105mm F4 OIS zoom kit.

Bargain compared to the C100 II!

Would it be possible for you to do a side-by-side shoot with those two cameras? Including time to grade skin tones + full color grading. Also compare their autofocus functions.

While I'm certain it's possible to match the C100 II and FS5 (I can match the C300 II with the A7S II), I think you may find the C100 II takes less time and effort to make look good, especially in challenging light (multiple colors, non-continuous spectrum, etc.). Color and AF are why we went with the C300 II vs. the FS7 (kept FS700 for 240fps- even with 24Mbps internal codec the quality is good enough).

Raw on the FS5 can go straight to ProRes on the Odyssey 7Q+

Much more practical than handling the file sizes of Cinema DNG raw in 4K!!

Yea, the Raw > ProRes mode is amazing.

I have heard a rumour that the FS range will get internal compressed raw in the paid upgrade though, seems unlikely, but would be immense.

US price for the XC10 just dropped $500.

List price is still $2499, but now features an instant rebate of $500. And unless the product pages haven't been updated, it looks like the 64GB CFast 2.0 card and reader are still included, as is a free 1-year subscription to Premiere.

I'm terribly tempted to hit that buy button. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! 

I while ago I asked in this forum about the canon xc10, and I have finally go it (yesterday!) 

My question is, I have been playing with it and trying the different options, but there is one thing that really annoys me and I have not found how to change (I have checked the manual) and would like to know if some of you that have this camera would know how to change it. It's pretty basic, when I'm in live view, be it on video o photo mode, I don't see any of the different parameters, such as shutter, iso, sound levels, etc. To view it I have to touch the lcd and then this info show but for far too short. The problem is that first, If I have the loop on, I can't touch the lcd, so how do I do to bring this to view? I'v tried setting up the function buttons and other things, but can't find it. And second, how do I do it to keep this info longer, o permanently if I wish so?

I would really appreciate if you could help me with this one!

Thanks a lot!

Ok, so that was it! I could not find a function within the menus to show the display at all times, so I had to reassign a button to select the display and once that's done, then it was there. 

My question now is, is there any other way to do this (bring the functions of the display on and off) other then assigning a button?

Thanks a lot! I know it was pretty basic, but I couldn't figure it out...

DSC_0788.JPG

DSC_0790.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought an XC10 having researched the pros and cons and also taking advantage of the 'January sales'.. :) So far am pretty happy getting used to its capabilities. I have a question ... I have been trying to find out if any of the 3rd party 1D 'cube' LUTs available for the C100*/300* are compatible with the Clog setting of the XC10? Anyone edited with these in FCPX for example? They seem to work but I'd prefer to be certain, as when it comes to 'pushing' the limits when capturing I'd like to know I can get a safe recovery of the footage with out bias, once I've transcoded it for editing. So any ideas or feedback most welcome. Thanks!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members
38 minutes ago, nikos said:

Found this interresting video....

How to adjust both the iso and the aperture from the wheel....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XwTpBQ5hao0

Thats cool. But you can stay in M mode and still not need to use the screen. Just double tap function, adjust, menu.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 26 February 2016 at 1:52 PM, Kubrickian said:

I recently had to travel around Europe on a job documenting Study Abroad classes. The XC10 made it easy and pleasurable. This was shot in all 1080 c-log, not 4k if you'd like to check it out.

Nice colour, but I especially enjoyed the audio. What mic were you using when not using the lavs? If it's the built in stereo mic of the XC10 then I'll be blown away...

On March 31, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Nice colour, but I especially enjoyed the audio. What mic were you using when not using the lavs? If it's the built in stereo mic of the XC10 then I'll be blown away...

Rode Videomic Pro mounted on the hot shoe. Just get close enough to the person and you've got a nice signal - the preamps on the xc10 seem great, or at least much better than a DSLR.