Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

I'd need more access to gear to review/assess actually to get any sort of blog popular and going. All bloggers have that great B&H deal, but you don't get it unless you're a popular blog in the first place. Chicken vs. Egg. So it's too much time/investment that'll be a failure without quick access to latest gear by a camera seller. I always wanted to create a dream camera IQ evaluation tool that's a 100% definitive database for filmmakers. Sadly it's not gonna happen. Hope someone will!

Snapsort tried that kind of.. it's really inaccurate sometimes and only photography cameras, but a good tool at times

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Snapsort tried that kind of.. it's really inaccurate sometimes and only photography cameras, but a good tool at times

DPreview is doing it but only testing DSLRs and mirrorless cameras 

Snapsort is absolutely horrible. Tests nothing. Just spec comparisons. Dpreview has one good tool which is video frame grab comparison. 

I dream of something entirely different, a database of how the IQ of all cameras testing for:

1- Resolution

2- Noise amount

3- Noise pattern

4- Dynamic range amount

5- Dynamic range roll-off

6- Color science & rendition of skin colors 

7- Compression (Codec) quality

8- Digital artifacts (aliasing/moire/rolling suhtter)

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd upload a couple samples from the xc10. Over all I really like the camera. There are a few flaws but it's very easy to shoot. I haven't used it in a professional setting yet just walking about getting used to it. I had the nx1 and looking at the footage side by side in 4k the samsung is sharper, but the canon has much richer color and the rolling shutter is much better, something that I didn't like with the nx1. All the shots were in canon log and graded in resolve which i'm just starting to learn. 

Thought i'd upload a couple samples from the xc10. Over all I really like the camera. There are a few flaws but it's very easy to shoot. I haven't used it in a professional setting yet just walking about getting used to it. I had the nx1 and looking at the footage side by side in 4k the samsung is sharper, but the canon has much richer color and the rolling shutter is much better, something that I didn't like with the nx1. All the shots were in canon log and graded in resolve which i'm just starting to learn. 

Looks great!!! The decomposing fish looks like the beginning to a revelations based horror film... With vibrant colors. The shot of the bobber next to the dead fish has an interesting juxtaposition. 

I really like that camera. What are they going for now? I feel like Canon was a little off with the pricing, but if any cheaper, it might take too much of a chunk of their higher end Rebel business away from them. 

Oh yeah, even with a small sensor, you've managed some nice depth of field. 

Looks great!!! The decomposing fish looks like the beginning to a revelations based horror film... With vibrant colors. The shot of the bobber next to the dead fish has an interesting juxtaposition. 

I really like that camera. What are they going for now? I feel like Canon was a little off with the pricing, but if any cheaper, it might take too much of a chunk of their higher end Rebel business away from them. 

Oh yeah, even with a small sensor, you've managed some nice depth of field. 

The XC10 won't take sales from the Rebel line, it is more likely to take sales from the XA line.

Does the timelapse mode allow for slow shutter speeds?

It seems like Canon have done it again though... Really underwhelming, on paper, yet has an aesthetic appeal and camera design that just looks like it will work well. If the lens had been F2.8 (or better) throughout the range, it would have stole the show.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I have been a reader of this forum and web for a while... but only now decided to ask for advice. The question is, Im embarking on a new project from beginning of next year, I will travel to six different countries and film the way trough, in a quite tight budget. Yes, I'm a professional, so I know what to do with a camera, but I have some serious doubts about which one to take with for this project. Of course I want something portable, compact and easy to carry (i.e. not a ton of lenses...). I've worked before with camcorder and dslrs, but neither of this fits my ticking list (camcorders tend to have a small sensor and dslr need lenses...). I need something that can deliver a high quality image but that will make easy my workflow. After a lot of research Iv found the following options: Canon xc10 for 1400€ brand new; Panasonic gh4 plus a zoom lense, not sure which one exactly yet (it will come to +/- the same price) or a Sony rx10 m2 (which is roughly the same price as the previous two). The thing is, I have never used any of them (I have handled the xc10, but not really use it), but not the gh4 neither the sony... so I would like to hear from you guys. My predominant thought at the moment is to go with xc10 (I would not do it for 2000€ but for 1400 seems a fair price and a robust option). Oh yes... the bmpcc has crossed my mind, but I dont think would a good idea for a travel documentary...  I will really appreciate your opinions on this one. Thanks a lot!

Thank you for your input! So my final decision is between the xc10 and the gh4. What attracts me from the xc10 is that is that only one thing that you have to carry while traveling (well, other the tripod/monopod, batteries, mic etc.) and seems to have quite a good image straight out of the camera (my ideal contender was the NX1, but as much as I would have loved it, the h265 just killed it for me, I need to edit on the go...). The xc10 also has a robust codec and mbs, even in 4k. What I don't like so much is the lense... The GH4 on the other hand, ticks almost all the same boxes as the xc10, except that I would have to carry one more than one lense with me almost all the time. Now, that would allow me much more creativity and the larger sensor would give the image more dof. But thinking about all of this, I came to the conclusion that I don't need 4k, at all, not for this project at least. So do you guys have any recommendation for a full hd one? Ideally should have a micro 4/3 or bigger sensor, have a robust codec, 8 or ten bits and a decent dynamic range (somewhere around 12 stops...), be quite decent in low light...  in a comfortable and sturdy body, and going around 800-1000 euros body only (obvious one would be a7s but that a little above budget)...? Tha would be the ideal one... If not, I think ill go with the xc10 or the gh4, not sure yet

I came to the conclusion that I don't need 4k, at all, not for this project at least.

You want cheap?  Like $400 U.S. cheap?  I have a Gx7 and have never been disappointed by it.  You can buy them for not much.  Really, I think any of the LUMIX cameras are good video value.  I've shot films and docs with 'em.  Decent in low light with a fast lens and speedbooster.

Or, a used a7s if you really need that ultra-low-light capability.

If you know what you're doing, anything'll probably work these days.

You want cheap?  Like $400 U.S. cheap?  I have a Gx7 and have never been disappointed by it.  You can buy them for not much.  Really, I think any of the LUMIX cameras are good video value.  I've shot films and docs with 'em.  Decent in low light with a fast lens and speedbooster.

Not necessarily cheap, for around a 900€ you can get the body of a gh4, Im just wondering if in that same price range, plus/less, is there anything that delivers better quality at 1080. If not, then although 4k not being essential for this project, it's a nice feature to have... I was actually considering the G7, instead of the gh4, but don't think it really makes senses to buy it for video instead of its bigger brother...