Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anybody using this with a cage? I rigged it up with some smallrig stuff I have for the first job, but it wasn´t 100%. I know it makes the most sense without rigging but if you need a shotgun and a wireless channel some mounting points are needed. 

Google only churns out the shape cage which is overkill ( Who would need rods for this?) - though I like the adjustable handle.

What about this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2GJCB2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2Q5O1612Q882F&coliid=IS7RGHI1QXKJQ

Rode Videomic on top, lavalier receiver on the side. 

Cant find any xc10 cage on their page, could you direct me? Thing is, a "normal" mirrorless cage wont do, as the ergonomics are different.

I used this on the A7s ... a change of the 15mm vertical rod adapts it to any size camera so it is forward compatible:

http://woodencamera.com/Quick-Cage-DSLR-Small.html

No specific XC10 but advantage is these adapt to future cameras.

Bob

They are nice, but the rod on the left side is not nice for the camera. Makes reaching for the zoom/focus hard.

Rod is on the left from the back ... all of your controls should be on the right of the body but the lens is far enough ahead of the rod that I have 

not noted difficulty with lens movements. Handheld I use my left palm to support from underneath allowing fingers to control the lens from

the bottom. On tripod I am usually on the left side of the camera so no issue there.

Bob

IMG_0237.jpg

I'm on the verge of buying this, but: would any users care to offer their thought regarding dynamic range?

I've watched quite a lot of footage shot under harsh daylight conditions that suggests it's (at least) on par with the GH4, a non-VLOG version of which I owned but have since sold.

Apples and oranges in many ways, I understand, but in terms of usable DR, how well does the XC10 compare? 

• Super Members

I'm on the verge of buying this, but: would any users care to offer their thought regarding dynamic range?

I've watched quite a lot of footage shot under harsh daylight conditions that suggests it's (at least) on par with the GH4, a non-VLOG version of which I owned but have since sold.

Apples and oranges in many ways, I understand, but in terms of usable DR, how well does the XC10 compare? 

Much better than the gh4. Its imo 12 usable stops given that the Blackmagic has 13 (which I use as my personal bench mark).

So in my experience it has the same DR as the c100 and D16. Atleast a stop more than the a7s. And again more than the gh4.

I have a g7 so I can do a comparing shot.

Much better than the gh4. Its imo 12 usable stops given that the Blackmagic has 13 (which I use as my personal bench mark).

So in my experience it has the same DR as the c100 and D16. Atleast a stop more than the a7s. And again more than the gh4.

I didn't know you had a G7, how do you like it? Do you have videos from it on your YouTube page?

Laughing my ass off, I have shot with RED/BMCC/BMPCC, A7s definitely have more DR than BM's 13 stop , I have encountered some scene (pretty extreme condition) which BM get blown but still fine on A7s.  I originally thought Sony probably have usable 12stops dr after reading "online test" but after seeing the actual footage me and DOP agreed A7s do have more DR than BM.

• Super Members

I didn't know you had a G7, how do you like it? Do you have videos from it on your YouTube page?

Havent used it much yet. Its like a lx100 with interchangeable lenses.

LaA7s definitely have more DR than BM's 13 stop , 

Would love to, for the first time, see a video shot in daylight that supports this.

Laughing my ass off, I have shot with RED/BMCC/BMPCC, A7s definitely have more DR than BM's 13 stop , I have encountered some scene (pretty extreme condition) which BM get blown but still fine on A7s.  I originally thought Sony probably have usable 12stops dr after reading "online test" but after seeing the actual footage me and DOP agreed A7s do have more DR than BM.

Yes, I would also like to see something that support this. Hah. The black magic pocket is really amazing.

So long as it's better than the GH4/G7, and approaches the BMPCC, then I'm OK. (I rented the BMPCC, but the usability and lack of 60p take it out of contention for me.) To some extent, I'm thinking of the XC10 as a more usable P&S version of the BMPCC.

Final question: some have reported the cameras as being fundamentally 'soft', while other's have suggested the softness is merely the XC10 not over-sharpening the files in camera (i.e. sharpen to taste in post.) Any thoughts?

So long as it's better than the GH4/G7, and approaches the BMPCC, then I'm OK. (I rented the BMPCC, but the usability and lack of 60p take it out of contention for me.) To some extent, I'm thinking of the XC10 as a more usable P&S version of the BMPCC.

Final question: some have reported the cameras as being fundamentally 'soft', while other's have suggested the softness is merely the XC10 not over-sharpening the files in camera (i.e. sharpen to taste in post.) Any thoughts?

It's not soft, it's just that the Canon Log picture style does not add any in-camera sharpening, so you need to sharpen in post. If you use any of the other picture styles, it is as sharp as my 3-chip XF305. 

Saw this already thnx - but to flimsy for my taste. I beat my setup sometimes on jobs.

The (original) Beachtek version is actually stronger than you might think it is. Using this one every day and if you tighten them screws you can beat someone with that setup ;) 

XC10ENG.jpg