Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

I totally love this as a short. It's a really fun, well shot parkour/martial arts flick with a twist; however, it's nothing they couldn't do with an RX10.

I wonder if both would supply still frame grabs of identical flexibility in post?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Got some fun stuff in the mail today.
Among other things a new on camera mic for ambient sound. Will be fun to test it out on the XC10 and other cameras.

IMG_20150811_235103.md.jpg

Besides the good price to performance and features the form factor was a deciding factor. I like using my "EVF" flipped up so it couldn't protrude backwards to much. 

IMG_9954.md.jpg

IMG_9958.md.jpg

I also took the opportunity to test the XC10 as a camera for product reviews/demos. The reach and parfocal lens is a nice feature for it. A bit limiting with a small sensor for that type of video but totally usable.

Got some fun stuff in the mail today.
Among other things a new on camera mic for ambient sound. Will be fun to test it out on the XC10 and other cameras.

Besides the good price to performance and features the form factor was a deciding factor. I like using my "EVF" flipped up so it couldn't protrude backwards to much. 

I also took the opportunity to test the XC10 as a camera for product reviews/demos. The reach and parfocal lens is a nice feature for it. A bit limiting with a small sensor for that type of video but totally usable.

Congratulations, it would be really interesting if you could some audio comparison between the Rode and the built-in mic as I was of the opinion that the sound quality of the built-in is not that bad (for pure stereo atmo). 

• Super Members

How is Resolve 12 working out for you, would like to hear more about that.

Its working really fine with the c-log. At first I had some trouble that carried on from Resolve 11. Audio wouldn't show up from A7ii S-Log or C-log.
The weird thing was I could hear it in the media pool but not on the timeline.
But with Beta v2 it all got sorted. Now I can import, edit, grade and export and it all runs more or less real time in 4K.

The one issue I have is wanting to export 4K/UHD in h.264.
I haven't tried with my full version of R12 yet, but in the free version I export an Uncompressed 8bit and then use Hand Break to convert to h.264.
Hoping to get rid of that step.

As far as grading goes Im trying to learn both Resolve and C-Log. But it gets better every time. The keying is awesome.

Congratulations, it would be really interesting if you could some audio comparison between the Rode and the built-in mic as I was of the opinion that the sound quality of the built-in is not that bad (for pure stereo atmo). 

I will for sure. I also find the built in to be in the upper class of small built in mics. Comparing to a DSLR or BMD, as far as camcorders go I would say in the middle. 
Will post results of mic tests soon.

• Administrators

Its working really fine with the c-log. At first I had some trouble that carried on from Resolve 11. Audio wouldn't show up from A7ii S-Log or C-log.
The weird thing was I could hear it in the media pool but not on the timeline.
But with Beta v2 it all got sorted. Now I can import, edit, grade and export and it all runs more or less real time in 4K.

The one issue I have is wanting to export 4K/UHD in h.264.

I haven't tried with my full version of R12 yet, but in the free version I export an Uncompressed 8bit and then use Hand Break to convert to h.264.
Hoping to get rid of that step.

As far as grading goes Im trying to learn both Resolve and C-Log. But it gets better every time. The keying is awesome.

Good to hear that.

Mac or Windows version?

Don't blame you for wanting to get rid of the HandBreak step... I didn't get along with HandBreak either.

If you ever need a transcoding app on the Mac, EditReady is by far the best. I can't do without it right now for 1D C footage and the NX1. Indispensable and best $50 I have ever spent.

• Super Members

Good to hear that.

Mac or Windows version?

Don't blame you for wanting to get rid of the HandBreak step... I didn't get along with HandBreak either.

If you ever need a transcoding app on the Mac, EditReady is by far the best. I can't do without it right now for 1D C footage and the NX1. Indispensable and best $50 I have ever spent.

Im a total Mac-Dude by heart but bought a cheap "Gaming Laptop" to properly try out Resolve without making the investment on for example the Mac Pro.
But since Im starting to like it I might start saving up...

What advantages does EditReady have in regards to Adobe Media Encoder (the software I am using to get XF-AVC into FCPX)? Is it also able to handle 100fps XF-AVC? 

• Super Members

Some frames from a Dynamic Range Test against the 5Dmkii shooting Raw and the Blackmagic 4K also in Raw.
Same aperture and same correction. Adjusted contrast to the waveform and lifted the mids 0.3. All exposed to the right a hair under zebra.
So no, not scientific at all. Mostly just a guide for myself.
Sun is just about to set.

5D
5ddr_1.8.1.md.jpg

BMPC4K
bmpcdr_1.9.1.md.jpg

XC10
xc10dr_1.10.1.md.jpg

Also here is a XC10 frame in one of the standard picture settings during sundown. No corrections done.
xc10stnd_1.19.1.md.jpg

How are you finding the annoyances like not being able to change the ISO without going into the menus? 

You can configure the wheel on the XC10 to change ISO instead if aperture (shutter is also possible). For many run&gun applications this is actually easier. Just set the aperture to f5.6 and off you go. While it takes a bit of practice hovering through those menus is really easy. 

• Super Members

I can clarify how I do it just for the heck of it.

On 5D

Click ISO, Scroll to new iso, Click iso.

On xc10

Double click fn, Scroll to new iso (using the same fn stick), Double click Menu.

So on both cameras you can change the iso using one finger that always sits close to the two controls needed. Loupe doesn't get in the way either. 

• Administrators

I can clarify how I do it just for the heck of it.

On 5D

Click ISO, Scroll to new iso, Click iso.

On xc10

Double click fn, Scroll to new iso (using the same fn stick), Double click Menu.

So on both cameras you can change the iso using one finger that always sits close to the two controls needed. Loupe doesn't get in the way either. 

Useful to know, thanks Mattias

• Super Members

Quick run through of all the picture profiles in the Canon XC10 and also a DR shootout against a 5Dii with ML Raw and the BMPC4K.
DR looks good imo.

In the DR comparison I exposed all three a hair from zebra. Adjusted lift, gamma, gain.
In the first set of picture profiles I adjusted lift, gamma, gain and added saturation to the C-Log.
Second set is straight from camera, untouched.
All ETTR.

Quick run through of all the picture profiles in the Canon XC10 and also a DR shootout against a 5Dii with ML Raw and the BMPC4K.
DR looks good imo.

In the DR comparison I exposed all three a hair from zebra. Adjusted lift, gamma, gain.
In the first set of picture profiles I adjusted lift, gamma, gain and added saturation to the C-Log.
Second set is straight from camera, untouched.
All ETTR

Thanks for the comparison, the DR is clearly top notch in comparison to the two other cameras. I don't know what you think about the low light test, but with a bit of post work (sharpening and NR), I daresay that it even produces usable results beyond ISO4000. 

Up to now I haven't noticed any moiré or aliasing (unlike the C300, which would show aliasing in many fine detail shots). 

From the time the XC10 was announced to actually trying it out in the field for a couple of weeks now, my opinion about this camera has turned 180°. 

• Super Members

Thanks for the comparison, the DR is clearly top notch in comparison to the two other cameras. I don't know what you think about the low light test, but with a bit of post work (sharpening and NR), I daresay that it even produces usable results beyond ISO4000. 

Up to now I haven't noticed any moiré or aliasing (unlike the C300, which would show aliasing in many fine detail shots). 

From the time the XC10 was announced to actually trying it out in the field for a couple of weeks now, my opinion about this camera has turned 180°. 

Yeah Im also pleasantly surprised.
I didn't know what to think in the beginning but when it got so much hate online I got interested. Mostly because when a big company with experts does something that the brain trust online doesn't like, it usually means they have thought in a new direction.

No aliasing so far for me.