Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

• Super Members

Still haven't had time to shoot anything for more than 30 min. Hopefully next week.
So I took it for a quick run when I went to the store.

Wanted to see how the XC10 worked under really bright conditions in C-Log using just the built in ND. 
The C-Log has a base of ISO500.
No highlights where blown when making this video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Did lots of lens tests today during our morning walk. Haven't edited, will probably use it for a review. But I puled some frame grabs.

Closest Focus at 24 mm (20 cm)
24mmclose_1.3.1.md.jpg

Closest Focus at 240 mm (50 cm)
240mmclose_1.2.1.md.jpg

240mm Lets you keep distance (but of course less background).
bee_1.1.1.md.jpg

"Shallow" depth of field 24 mm f2.8
sdof28_1.4.1.md.jpg

"Shallow"depth of field 80ish mm f4.0
sdof485_1.4.1_1.5.1.md.jpg

"Shallow" depth of field 240mm f5.6
sdof56240_1.4.1_1.5.1_1.6.1.md.jpg

Looking good. I need a B cam for c100 that has cLog, wdr, and 4k. This is looking like a good option.

Definitely the budget alternative to another C100 / 300 and very capable once you learn to work around its shortcomings. For example, under certain circumstances, it is way better to set the dial to ISO and keep the aperture at f5.6. By the way, I was able to get the Atomos CFast 1.0 working now (after multiple passes of formats on the computer). 

• Super Members

Definitely the budget alternative to another C100 / 300 and very capable once you learn to work around its shortcomings. For example, under certain circumstances, it is way better to set the dial to ISO and keep the aperture at f5.6. By the way, I was able to get the Atomos CFast 1.0 working now (after multiple passes of formats on the computer). 

Thats very good to know, might pick one up. My Lexar is great and offloads very fast but pricy.

Thats very good to know, might pick one up. My Lexar is great and offloads very fast but pricy.

I bought a Lexar too, the CFast 2.0 cards work "right out of the box" and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to have less trouble than I had. In comparison to what I paid for the Sony SxS PRO+ cards for my larger camera, even CFast 2.0's are a steal ;). 

• Super Members

Went to a race track. Only had about two hours, no tripod, no credentials to get closer to the track or a decent microphone.
But I still wanted some video from it.

Thank god for the camcorder :)

Would be really fun to bring a good mic next time, get credentials and do some reporting as well. 
Simply didn't have the time for preparation or at the track.
Oh well maybe by winter I have time for my hobby again :)

• Super Members

footage looks good. I am really torn between this and an rx ii

Do you think it possible to mount a bigger eyecup? I wear glasses so I prefer a big cup.

And what is your feeling about the handgrip? Where do you place your fingers?

hey,

When I shot this the eycup was good enough for the brightness, no problem there. But it does get a bit warm having it glued to your face so I have a great reason to try a fabric eycup I was sent to review. I will keep you posted.

The grip is nice. I have very long fingers (piano hands) But don't feel I have to place them anywhere particular. I just hold it. 

I love beeing able to tilt the handgrip a bit forward. That way it doesn't feel weird like a DSLR does when holding it the way one normally does for video. 

Finally I could spend some (very limited) time outside and also some time to hack it together: 

Not the best that I could do but gives some additional impression over the capabilities of the XC10 in bright daylight. 

Here's a photo of my XC10 ENG configuration that has been tested and hopefully soon will see some real action for a report:

XC10_ENG_01.jpg

Cheers!

Went to a race track. Only had about two hours, no tripod, no credentials to get closer to the track or a decent microphone.
But I still wanted some video from it.

Thank god for the camcorder :)

Definitely reminds me a lot of a micro EX1. Definitely easier to handle than a DSLR, and way better image quality "right out of the box" than all of the DSLRs I used. Some details remain to be solved from the sides of Canon that I would like to address as well: 

• Noise Reduction: Would be nice if the amount of NR could be user-defined. Now it just kicks in at some point and mashes up footage from ISO5000 and above. 

• Compatibility with Final Cut Pro X: At the moment, I am using Adobe Media Encoder CC2015 to convert the XC10-Footage to Apple PRORES. C'mon guys, bring out a plug-in of some sort. 

• RAW images: If Canon wants us to take the XC10 serious as a tool for still photography, capturing RAWs is inevitable. And very easy to implement...

One word about audio quality: As you can see in the picture of my previous post, I am utilizing the Beachtek MCC-2 to mix the signals from a Rode Videomic Pro Rycote and the Rode Filmmaker wireless kit. Even though audio recording is 16 bit only on the XC10, it gave me a dynamic range of about 67 dB on silent passages in a studio environment. Given the fact that any 16 bit audio signal below -50 dBFS is rather unusable, the performance is good enough for recording ENG dialog. 

• Super Members

Definitely reminds me a lot of a micro EX1. Definitely easier to handle than a DSLR, and way better image quality "right out of the box" than all of the DSLRs I used. Some details remain to be solved from the sides of Canon that I would like to address as well: 

• Noise Reduction: Would be nice if the amount of NR could be user-defined. Now it just kicks in at some point and mashes up footage from ISO5000 and above. 

• Compatibility with Final Cut Pro X: At the moment, I am using Adobe Media Encoder CC2015 to convert the XC10-Footage to Apple PRORES. C'mon guys, bring out a plug-in of some sort. 

• RAW images: If Canon wants us to take the XC10 serious as a tool for still photography, capturing RAWs is inevitable. And very easy to implement...

One word about audio quality: As you can see in the picture of my previous post, I am utilizing the Beachtek MCC-2 to mix the signals from a Rode Videomic Pro Rycote and the Rode Filmmaker wireless kit. Even though audio recording is 16 bit only on the XC10, it gave me a dynamic range of about 67 dB on silent passages in a studio environment. Given the fact that any 16 bit audio signal below -50 dBFS is rather unusable, the performance is good enough for recording ENG dialog. 

I haven't gone above iso4000, still summer night light here but I will test to get a feel for the limitation. Thanks for the heads up.

Resolve 12 can import and edit straight from the camera so no convertion for me. PP worked as well. 

Yeah the stills isn't super. But they are good for WebContent like an article with video and a few pics. I use it mostly for instagram using the webbrowser for transfer.

Audio is my next thing to test properly, I can post my findings.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I'd love to hear about the audio, whether it has the same lousy preamps and unusable audio recording system of the DSLRs or more like the 3.5mm jack of the C100. It's be very important if audio sounds good and clean just by plugin-ing a rode and monitoring through the camera, something so simple yet I'm still unable to do with any DSLR/DSLM camera, GH4, 5D, A7s, all sound lousy and much worse than just going into the 100$ H1 and syncing manually. 

• Super Members

I'd love to hear about the audio, whether it has the same lousy preamps and unusable audio recording system of the DSLRs or more like the 3.5mm jack of the C100. It's be very important if audio sounds good and clean just by plugin-ing a rode and monitoring through the camera, something so simple yet I'm still unable to do with any DSLR/DSLM camera, GH4, 5D, A7s, all sound lousy and much worse than just going into the 100$ H1 and syncing manually. 

Its better than a DSLR, that much I have tested. But how much better remains. I can do a audio comparison to the 5D and an ENG camera this week perhaps.

Finally I could spend some (very limited) time outside and also some time to hack it together: 

Not the best that I could do but gives some additional impression over the capabilities of the XC10 in bright daylight. 

Here's a photo of my XC10 ENG configuration that has been tested and hopefully soon will see some real action for a report:

XC10_ENG_01.jpg

Cheers!

I like the video a lot. Love the "organic" (in lack of a better word) look and feel.
Do you mind telling me the settings and post process?

/M

Its better than a DSLR, that much I have tested. But how much better remains. I can do a audio comparison to the 5D and an ENG camera this week perhaps.

I like the video a lot. Love the "organic" (in lack of a better word) look and feel.Do you mind telling me the settings and post process?
/M

Hi Mattias, thanks a lot for your comment. You caught me on a lazy day :), so I decided to put a short video on Vimeo because in this instance pictures show more than a thousand words. 

Cheers, Martin