Canon C300 Mark II - $15,999 4K camera

AaronChicago

If, and it is still a big IF, the image quality matches the brochure marketing, or comes even close, then this is a HUGE release.

The spec chasers will point to the FS7 and cry and about the C300 II only having 1080p slow motion and being too expensive.... But perhaps they should be looking in the direction of ARRI and RED, not Sony. This new sensor could be something very stunning.

$15k or so for an image that could potentially compete with the Alexa. That would be staggering.

I also like that it has raw out, and it holds optimal DR at ISO800 and above (again, according to the brochure). The AF and ergonomics are also well known.

I am excited to see the image.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The FS7 is half the price and remains the much better option for indie shooters and small production companies. Combined with the A7S, it's a combo that covers all bases. 

The price range of the C300 II is suited to high-end professionals & rental houses. If it suits the shoot i'd definitely rent it. I would never buy a camera at that price. Lenses and lighting are much better long-term investments. It really is missing that 4k 60p though....... 

Now it's time for Panasonic to make their move.... (great thing is, lots of options!)

The FS7 is half the price and remains the much better option for indie shooters and small production companies. Combined with the A7S, it's a combo that covers all bases. 

The price range of the C300 II is suited to high-end professionals & rental houses. If it suits the shoot i'd definitely rent it. I would never buy a camera at that price. Lenses and lighting are much better long-term investments. It really is missing that 4k 60p though....... 

Now it's time for Panasonic to make their move.... (great thing is, lots of options!)

​Yes, I'm also very excited to see what Panasonic has planned, and if any of the AF200 rumors are remotely true.

If history repeats itself we'll all be amazed by the C300 II, and 6 months later a camera of equivalent specs and image will be released for $2,000 by another company.

It already exists.... is the Sony FS7, and it is even cheaper. 

This is not the same marketplace as the one the original C300 was released into, when rental houses / studios / owners were hungry for the new large sensor video cameras. As so few existed.

Now there are heaps and heaps of competition that the C300mk2 will be facing, even including the original C300 itself. 

​Yes, I'm also very excited to see what Panasonic has planned, and if any of the AF200 rumors are remotely true.

Heck yeah, if they're kinda true and hitting the rumoured $3k-ish price point then I will have to very very seriously look into getting one (my first non-DSLR/MILC higher end camera).

This is a much better camera than the fs7.

The C300 mark II is announced and on paper it seems like like this may be a camera to rival the Arri Alexa Mini and the Sony F55 and the Red Dragon - 12 bit 444 internal codec - 15 stops dynamic range - high iso - lightweight - great sensitivity - and at a low price of 16k vs prices double that.

I couldn’t be more thrilled to start seeing images out of this camera.  The canon skintone look is beautiful - and it’s light and efficient camera - I am super excited about the possibilities of this camera.

Of course, until we do tests or see tests - for now we don’t know how it compares to the Arri Alexa Mini or the Red Weapon - but the C300 had a beautiful skintone to it - it had other issues with it - limited dynamic range and highlight handling - but this seems to alleviate all the problems.  

I am curious how Sony responds - if they do.  If only they go retro, and just put that Sony F35 magical chip in some new lightweight bodies or the F65 chip.  I wonder if they have any of those CCD chips lying around.  

Let’s see what Sony has up their sleeves.

And let’s of course see how these cameras actually work.  Because until it’s in our hands, it’s just data on paper.

This really does look like an incredible upgrade- pretty much every problem I've had when shooting on the C300 has been alleviated. Can't wait until the production companies I shoot with start buying these, but that probably won't be for quite a while. 

I've been telling people how amazing the C100 Mark II is, honestly simply some of the BEST colors I've seen naturally from the camera. You can youtube/vimeo many links and see for yourself. The C300 should be only that MUCH better.......

• Administrators

Double the price of the FS7 for the same specs but no 4K 60fps, no 180fps.

It does however have a lot of positives.

No need for lens adapters, just use your EF stuff.

Dual pixel AF can be handy for run & gun.

Much stronger ND filter than FS7.

​Could just as easily say "Half the price of an Alexa Mini, with proper 4K"

The price tag will only become comparable to FS7, Alexa and whatever else once the IQ is revealed. IQ is the gold dust.

​Could just as easily say "Half the price of an Alexa Mini, with proper 4K"

The price tag will only become comparable to FS7, Alexa and whatever else once the IQ is revealed. IQ is the gold dust.

The only slight bit of trouble I've had with the FS7 is getting the "mojo" right. It creates absolutely great images - no question. But it is missing that extra bit of life, the feel and cadence isn't that magical.... how do you describe it? 

I'll definitely rent this C300 II though... it's been a long time since I shot anything substantial on a Canon. 

It does however have a lot of positives.

No need for lens adapters, just use your EF stuff.

Dual pixel AF can be handy for run & gun.

Much stronger ND filter than FS7.

Sony exaggerates DR. As does Red. Canon and Arri don't.

C300 and Red MX hold about 12 stops. C300 is often underrated due to incorrect handling of super whites.

F5 about 13. Not the claimed 14. 

Dragon just over 13. Not the claimed 16+. Still world class better than F5 and almost Alexa  league.

Alexa 14.5... but distributed more in the highlights because it, too, uses some sort of dual gain path. So the tonality is really special.

Red claims softness and smearing in Alexa footage due to the dual gain approach but I don't see it. The image here will look like a better C300 image except with three stops more highlight detail, which is where you want it, and in 4k. Other than inferior skew, this will give an image a lot like a 4k Alexa with even a bit more DR and with poor slow motion options. 

The b cam mode is dangerous. Better AF could be interesting. We'll see if lightning strikes twice but as elevated as the price is this is a camera for rental houses and owner ops....

It's unlikely to have IQ matching or exceeding Alexa or F65- if it gets close, it will be a pretty good deal.

High quality accurate face tracking autofocus with EF lenses and assisted manual focus with all lenses is the killer feature exclusive to this camera. If it works well, it's a very important feature not available with any other camera in this class.

"The 15 stops is done by taking the raw sensor data and running it through dual image processors at two different ISOs (high and low) before making a composite image from the dual raw stream."

This sounds like the "Dual ISO" feature of previous Canon sensors that Magic Lantern unleashed for stills. Andrew, what is your source that the C300II is using this technique?

$17k, no thanks... DR is nice but for Red Epic money I better have slo mo 4k and better than 10 bit depth

​Red Epic will cost you A LOT more than 17k....... A LOT more.......... C300 right out of the box has everything built in and uses cheap media.... For commercials, Music Videos, Documentary, etc.....

120 fps in 1080p is also excellent and more than enough for delivery. I work with RED Cameras and they are excellent tools (when used properly) but make no mistake if you ever used a C100/300 you simply can't imagine how quick/easy and wonderful it is to shoot on those systems. I personally own a Sony A7s, but even I know the work required to get a nice image and colors that is so easily achieved on the Cinema line Canon cameras. Make no mistake I LOVE working with RED cameras, but it is definitely a slower workflow compared to the Canon's.