Canon C300 Mark II - $15,999 4K camera

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting. It says Sony FS7 has 14 stops. That's hard to believe. I just used it on a shoot with a GH4 (will post soon), and while grading, I honestly couldn't see that big difference in dynamic range. It was just real world testing and grading though. Nothing scientific.

Aaron, I've used the Sony FS7 on many shoots now and I have to say it's got bucket loads more dynamic range than the GH4 (another camera I use on gimbals). There is no comparison, it's not even close :) 

Just wondered if you used Slog3, and what your lighting conditions were? If it wasn't Slog and/or the lighting conditions were challenging, the FS7 dynamic range wouldn't be at the best. 

Canon C300 II... Sounds lovely. Hope it has 3000fps in 4k at least! 

Aaron, I've used the Sony FS7 on many shoots now and I have to say it's got bucket loads more dynamic range than the GH4 (another camera I use on gimbals). There is no comparison, it's not even close :) 

Just wondered if you used Slog3, and what your lighting conditions were? If it wasn't Slog and/or the lighting conditions were challenging, the FS7 dynamic range wouldn't be at the best. 

Canon C300 II... Sounds lovely. Hope it has 3000fps in 4k at least! 

​I used Slog3, but at 1080 180fps. Maybe the DR is way better at 24p, or 4k?

The conditions were very contrasted. Black/White backgrounds with 1K Arri and KinoFlo fill.

I rented it so I didn't have much time with it but I'd love to shoot again under more 'colorful' conditions. I loved everything about it except the frickin menus, and having to restart it constantly.

Don't love the Sony look, but the DR is good. Not quite 14 stops (nowhere near the Alexa) but a bit better than the mirror less crowd and C300 though how much better in practice is debatable.

Anyhow, this information seems similar to what I mentioned last week, which is to say correct.

​I used Slog3, but at 1080 180fps. Maybe the DR is way better at 24p, or 4k?

The conditions were very contrasted. Black/White backgrounds with 1K Arri and KinoFlo fill.

I rented it so I didn't have much time with it but I'd love to shoot again under more 'colorful' conditions. I loved everything about it except the frickin menus, and having to restart it constantly.

Cool - well the first time I used it I screwed up the exposure and it looked no better than a GH2. 

Second time - much better. Just fiddled with it and started working nice. Images were fantastic. (That said, the lighting I set up was FAR better too 2nd time). Menus were still a bit grrrrrrr like you say, got used to it now. Doesn't make them any better though! 

Curious about the C300. High frame rates have put me on constant rental of Sony cams. I'd love to try a Canon with these features. They are simply compulsory for my type of work. 

Which would be twice the price of the Sony FS7, and the same price as a brand new C500.

Is it just me or something is weird with this camera ? Is canon betting everything on the dynamic range (15 stops advertised vs 12 for the C500 and 14 stops advertised for the FS7) ? 

Another H.264 variant for recording internally: http://www.canon.com/news/2015/apr08e.html. Basically Canon's version of Sony's XAVC (both of which are already defined in the H.264 spec.). Wouldn't be surprised if they licensed the code from the same software developer.

422 10-bit Intra (ALL-I) is very similar to ProRes, likely more efficient. They also support long GOP (interframe/IPB vs. intra) for 2K and below, up to 12-bits, which is very efficient. 10-bit H.264 ALL-I & IPB recorded internally is excellent.

It's 2015 and Canon was able to produce a badass 2K camera. :)

Nah, I don't mind really. I wouldn't need 4K@60 FPS that much, but then they might have to bring that 16K price a bit lower, closer to the 10K range.

I also have a feeling they will release a firmware unlocking high frame rates in 4K during the summer. Or that will be the C500 mkII? Hehe.

The image quality is going to be nuts. Better than Alexa.

Autofocus via iPad with 80% of the sensor covered should be AMAZING for Ronin ops.

But the 30fps maximum (120fps crop) and lack of 50Mbps XF codec are DUMB.

The lack of great slow motion isn't the end of the world. Chances are the quality will be great (full pixel read out, but cropped) and it will be sharp enough to cut. But it's still a sore omission.

The lack of a 50Mbps codec is stupid. I never thought I'd say Canon is too forward-thinking, but they are!

Looks like it is dual gain path, so dynamic range will be extended in the highlights rather than pulled out of the shadows. The image quality from this camera is what will sell it. Inclusion of RAW is a big surprise to me. Let's just hope the C500 Mk III has some real slow motion options.

Image quality will be best of any camera out there (including Dragon and Alexa), as will low light given the sensor size (and extended DR in low light/high contrast situations is particularly valuable!) but compatibility and ergonomics might not be all that. What a backward world!

Of course I want one.

No-one has even shot anything with the camera but you already know the IQ it's going to be better then "a" Alexa?

​Yep. :)

To be fair, plenty of testers have shot with it.

I can't tell you why, though, or I might lose my job! It's subjective, but I would say better resolution, better color, and better dynamic range amount to... better!

Priorities are subjective, though. Any camera will only give you back the best of what you put in front of it.

Not surprised by this at all...

Brand new Canon C300 Mark ll...more Lati/DR than the Sony FS7...4K at 60p + more..

expensive..

I do believe this cam will easily be worth $17,000 if you're shooting narrative film/vids for a living..

Imagine all this tech without having to spend hours/days grading your footage:)

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/04/more-on-the-upcoming-cinema-eos-c300-mark-ii/

​It is a rumor, not a press release :)

We don't know what the specs will be.

Do we know yet if it is possible to do 4K @60p on external recorder ?

​If the bit rate is low enough for the data bus, any frame rate can be recorded. The limitation is not the frame rate, it is how much data you can stuff through the interface port, in other words the bit rate.

​Yep. :)

To be fair, plenty of testers have shot with it.

I can't tell you why, though, or I might lose my job! It's subjective, but I would say better resolution, better color, and better dynamic range amount to... better!

Priorities are subjective, though. Any camera will only give you back the best of what you put in front of it.

​Considering that 4 days ago, one of your realistic hopes for NAB was that this camera was going to have slo mo, and you only re-evaluated that to be the Mk3 later, after the rumour was released, I'm going to suggest that you're not one of those Japanese testers, neither have you had enough access to one that your job would be at risk