Your realistic hopes for NAB?

Jimmy

Let's step away from the 16 stops, 12800iso $3k cameras for a while and think about what you realistically expect and would like to see at NAB 2015?

Top of my list is probably a Ninja Star 2 that can record 4K ProRes. I think it is quite likely and will make the current/next generation of 4K HDMI cams really sing, without the need for a large monitor/recorder, which is not always ideal for certain shooting types.

I would also like to see Olympus style image stabilisation in one of the larger cameras (C300 mkII type).

What is on your reasonable wishlist?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Maybe a new BMCC with much better ergonomics and screen(hand grip like Canon C line would be nice) and a new S35 sensor(good at 1600 iso and multi aspect ratio). It does not have to be 4K even, 2,5K RAW/ProRes is enough.

My guess is that the next one would look exactly the same. Because it's their business model to keep cost down. They try to use the same parts as much as possible. If you look at their studio equipment you see the same thing. Same buttons, nobs and screens on everything. Had a long interesting talk with a BMD representative about it when he demoed their broadcast bus and the URSA at a recent expo.

I'm hoping for a recorder from bmd and that atomos releases the RAW capture update scheduled for the Shogun.

1. Innovative Lighting Tools

Lighting is the most important technical aspect of filmmaking, yet so, so many people don't bother! INSANE!!! I'd like to see a growth of innovation in affordable, LED based lights with high light output. Smartphone controlled lights. Clamped lights. LIGHTS!!!

2. Modified Lenses

Lenses are more interesting when modified, certainly when they can do some extra effects and have cine gears. Give us some character!

3. Ninja Star 4k 

I don't want a massive screen on my tiny camera thanks! The Shogun really needs a baby brother. 

4. Panasonic Video Camera

They have a GH4, and then...a Varicam. Surely they have a partner to the GH4 on the horizon? 4k 60p, better DR and 120fps HD are my only requests. 

and... that's it. 

1. Innovative Lighting Tools

Lighting is the most important technical aspect of filmmaking, yet so, so many people don't bother! INSANE!!! I'd like to see a growth of innovation in affordable, LED based lights with high light output. Smartphone controlled lights. Clamped lights. LIGHTS!!!

2. Modified Lenses

Lenses are more interesting when modified, certainly when they can do some extra effects and have cine gears. Give us some character!

3. Ninja Star 4k 

I don't want a massive screen on my tiny camera thanks! The Shogun really needs a baby brother. 

They have a GH4, and then...a Varicam. Surely they have a partner to the GH4 on the horizon? 4k 60p, better DR and 120fps HD are my only requests. 

and... that's it. 

​Agree on the Ninja Star and also would love to see a high end LED light kit (Arri 3 light 750w comparable)  for under 3 grand.

and... that's it. 

​This is what I really want out of NAB and keep it under 5k.

3-axis gimbals for smaller cameras like the Nebula

4k options to compete with the GH4 and NX1

Firmware updates for the GH4 and NX1

4k Ninja Star or something similar

4k Blackmagic Pocket

h265 support in FCPX and Permiere

More 4k monitors that will work with my little trashcan Mac Pro - though the new 40" Seiki looks good

Basically mucho 4k since I'm jumping on the 4k bandwagon

Sophisticated focus assist technology- fully automatic with tracking as well as hybrid manual modes. Current autofocus and manual focus assist tech is very primitive compared to what's possible now: manufacturers have been holding back. Dual pixel sensors and/or IR, ultrasonic, laser, etc. for 3D depth-finding to not only provide better focus but to also show the focus plane in real-time in the display (depth-map rendered etc.). 

- 3 axis gimbal like nebula 4000 and pilot fly H1 but with 32bits and not 8 bits, for 500 USD. 

- FINALLY a camera that can do everything:  portable, IBIS, good still quality, good video quality. The D750 does that, but not portable as I hear it. Basically I want a Sony A7 II with internal 4K (and no shity compressed raw for stills). A7S II will be 4K internal but still 12mpx, too low for me for photography. 
I just want an A7II with internal 4K and the raw problem solved. That would be EPIC. 

Am I the only guy in the world who needs a super small (mirrorless) camera, that is full frame and does best class stills, and video? ....

Canon C300 mark II.

$12000-$1600.

Better slow motion, but still inferior to Sony and with some trade-offs. Somewhat less skew but not perfect.

Improved but familiar form factor.  A bit more ENG-friendly. A bit closer to the C100 of all things.

Best color rendering in class, finally surpassing the Alexa rather than being "second best." Great skin tones if a bit more magenta than before to avoid the green cast, great highlight roll-off unlike everyone else.

Low light on par with C100 Mk II, a stop or two worse than the A7S.

Improved AF with some "prosumer" features.

15-16 stops of DR. Possibly through an "HDR" mode facilitated by dual gain or something like red's HDRx, but mind-blowing and exciting DR nonetheless. This is the killer app. It's why I'm going to get one.

4k and sharper 4k than the competition. Sharper than 1DC by a lot. 

More likely XAVC than prores, though.

Excellent backwards compatibility... you can use your C300 as a B cam on a 1080p shoot.

But... that's just about a given. :)

So...

What I'm HOPING for is a better Ronin.

This 'rumoured' GH4 update.

Ninja Star 2 4K

As I'm looking at a "Cinema Camera" in the next 12 months, I'm very interested in the Panasonic AF200 that is meant to be coming out. Plus some lenses for that camera.

I'm interested, though expect it'll be massively out of my price range, the C300 MKII. I'd love Canon to firmware unlock 4K out via HDMI on the C100 MKII, not gonna happen though. Possible 5DC as well?

Software wise, as a FCPX user, a big update to that software. Again rumours are something is coming around NAB even though Apple don't do NAB itself.

I'd like:

- GH4 update, with V-Log, 2.35:1 crop marks / guide lines, 120p or 240p in 1080, maybe RAW on fast SD à la BMPCC...
- super cheap (€ 300) 3 axis gimbal for GH4 :)
- a nice small recorder like Tascam DR-60 mike but with better battery life  
- a Super 35 GH5 ;)

AF200 is the only thing I can imagine wanting to see, but I'm sure there will be releases that we haven't conceived that will be interesting.

I was a fan of my Blackmagic cam for awhile but had to dump b/c of the tedious add-ons. I found myself just picking up the GH4 90% of the time and it became my go-to camera. If Blackmagic creates a camera with a GH style battery that lasts at least 5 hours , better LCD , and way less moire , it might be worth checking out.

I'd like:

- GH4 update, with V-Log, 2.35:1 crop marks / guide lines, 120p or 240p in 1080, maybe RAW on fast SD à la BMPCC...
- super cheap (€ 300) 3 axis gimbal for GH4 :)
- a nice small recorder like Tascam DR-60 mike but with better battery life  
- a Super 35 GH5 ;)

​For the GH4, I'd also love to see 4:3 mode capable of 23.976 and 24fps, as well as keeping the HDMI output active. Also, if they could somehow manage to record 10bit internally, but i'm sure that's a long shot.