The GH5 - Or Epic April Fools Joke?

Simon Shasha

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I think the Amazon page mock-up with 3 answered questions about a product that doesn't exist yet and dated 13th April is a little suspect.

The dynamic range of 15-16 stops also seems like a rather big leap from 12 in just one generation of Panasonic sensor.

But the biggest giveaway is that Sol says 4K is wider than in HD mode now because of the multi-aspect sensor, whilst saying it takes a 1:1 area for 4K like before. Therefore a 4K of less than 2x crop as he suggests wouldn't be possible, because the sensor is still 16MP.

As for 'a mistake' to publish the blog post early. A mistake is one thing, to Tweet about it and Facebook it quite another :)

He knows his stuff though! He is welcome to the extra followers, probably deserves it. Nice blog.

Yeah, so you know where he gets his inspiration :) 

Nice effort indeed, but a GH4 successor is not expected soon. I think it might come around Photokina 2016.  

​The GH-series has always been on a 2 year schedule. You can't expect a new model after just a year. 

​Also there are a lot of other cameras in the Panasonic line-up waiting for an update. GX7 and/or G6 successors will come first I think. 

As for 'a mistake' to publish the blog post early. A mistake is one thing, to Tweet about it and Facebook it quite another :)

​Exactly. It has click-bait written all over it :P

The biggest mistake for me was the ISO 800 vs ISO 12,800 sample images. The images are identical, with the ISO 12,800 having its brightness level upped a little. He could have at least waited for the rowers to change position/exit frame before taking the supposed ISO 12,800 image..

Ah well. Back to waiting on that GH4 firmware update...

​Exactly. It has click-bait written all over it :P

The biggest mistake for me was the ISO 800 vs ISO 12,800 sample images. The images are identical, with the ISO 12,800 having its brightness level upped a little. He could have at least waited for the rowers to change position/exit frame before taking the supposed ISO 12,800 image..

Ah well. Back to waiting on that GH4 firmware update...

​Small sensor will never have high iso performance of larger ones, never.......... GH4 is simply unusable with anything above 800 iso Fact and a damn shame honestly

​Small sensor will never have high iso performance of larger ones, never.......... GH4 is simply unusable with anything above 800 iso Fact and a damn shame honestly

Have you tried to not underexpose or better to ETTR when you need to use high ISO?
I ask you, because all the DSLR/DSLM have some issues in the shadows when you underexpose, even with low ISO... and most of them are perfect when you expose with good shadows​' level and then balance all in post.

Take a look here: