A7S vs 60D/5D grading question?

exomonkeyman

Hello There EOS HD forums.

A quick question, i'm interested in the A7S but i must ask about grading vs the 60D/5D cameras.

I'm no colorist but my 60D with a (rec709) color profile, after cc i get this horrible color artifacts and degradation as i call it, where you can see the colors start smudging and looking grainy.

(looking closely)

http://cl.ly/image/2o083R0n3c2e?_ga=1.184071008.719058195.1402172166

http://cl.ly/image/2n2D2I3w2L2W?_ga=1.111628610.719058195.1402172166

How is grading in S-log2 any different than just shoving colors around even more like i already am on my 60D? And is the file format XAVCHD a better general codec for color correction than the canon codec?

Or is there something i could be doing to stop this? Using impulZ luts. (Not a big LUT person)

Any help would be awesome cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Take it by rec.709 you are using a standard Canon profile like Portrait or something on your 60D.

Well S-LOG is LOG so a different league. It flattens the full dynamic range of the sensor and packs it into the codec. It grades WAY better than the 60D or indeed any of the Canon or Sony rec.709 profiles because simply put, there's more to work with in the image. Nothing is burnt or crushed or baked into the image.

Take it by rec.709 you are using a standard Canon profile like Portrait or something on your 60D.

Well S-LOG is LOG so a different league. It flattens the full dynamic range of the sensor and packs it into the codec. It grades WAY better than the 60D or indeed any of the Canon or Sony rec.709 profiles because simply put, there's more to work with in the image. Nothing is burnt or crushed or baked into the image.

​Hey thanks for the response, i'm using VisionTech's Color profile which is not quite as flat as Cinestyle but i found cinestyle to be so flat that getting any decent information back just made the image look worse.

Does what you said still apply even when using a profile like cinestyle technicolor? (that's much closer to LOG, but still creates color smudging for the 60D)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Did you try Neat Video? It's a magical solution for you problem.

Image6.thumb.jpg.41f5be96b69664de796554c

Here's after neatvideo plug-in:

Untitled_000000.tiff

In fact, after that, you can even push the image and grade much further

Untitd_000000.tiff

The downside is when you use it on an extreme example as your above, the image looks too clean, too plastic, so adding a small layer of grain back takes care of that plastickyness

itled_000000.tiff

Essentially, you replace the ugly colour breaking and ugly noise with fine good looking grain, or keep it clean without any artefacts if you like it.