Banding removal?

Micah Mahaffey

Is there any known ways of getting rid of 8bit banding? I've tried adding noise and all that stuff but no luck. I know in VLC player they have an effect called "Remove Banding" and it actually works perfectly in real time! But is there a way to figure out what exactly VLC is doing and how can I replicate it so my footage is banding free? Thanks in advance. :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

is the banding already there?  or is it appearing after export?

I find using 32bit effects in premiere are the best way to avoid banding appearing.  

i too think some of the vlc efx are awesome and wish they were avialbale as plugins for premiere

It's in the actual footage unfortunately. I usually do effects in 32 bit anyway in sony vegas pro 13 and after effects. But the 4k footage from my Samsung NX1 looks amazing but has a lot of banding in indoor scenes With blank walls. I just wish VLC had a video plug in for editing softwares so I could actually remove the banding. 

I don't know if there is a good de-banding filter available for it, but VirtualDub with the FFMPEG input plugin added will open most video files, and if you install the free GoPro Studio software to get the Cineform AVI codecs, you can export from VirtualDub to a Cineform AVI file (which open fine in Vegas).

Avisynth - http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started - (which is basically a powerful scripting language designed for processing video files) does have some debanding filters available, and can be used in conjunction with VirtualDub (and any other software that knows how to open .avs files) to do very complex processing on a file.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I use neat video, works extremely well. I take the initial noise profile selecting a band/s, then apply the noise reduction, it sees these edges as unwanted ''noise'' and smoothens them out without affecting the rest of the image, clicking the ''smooth edges'' box helps. I've been really surprised at how Neat eliminates almost all codec limitations, including noise, macroblocking, colour tearing, and even banding to a great extent. 

Adding a fine grain layer after that NR in 32bit space gets all banding hidden.

Heard DVDFab gets rid of banding with a couple downsides. Not really sure if it's a plugin or what. As far as what the core concept is that you could do on your own without any of these effects and the most basic of adjustments, no idea 

It's in the actual footage unfortunately. I usually do effects in 32 bit anyway in sony vegas pro 13 and after effects. But the 4k footage from my Samsung NX1 looks amazing but has a lot of banding in indoor scenes With blank walls. I just wish VLC had a video plug in for editing softwares so I could actually remove the banding. 

​Had this problem a lot. White walls is complicated for the NX1. But I had more macroblocking than banding :/