NX1-LX rumors

Don Kotlos

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I highly doubt this is true, as I doubt a big consumer company like Samsung which is only a new entrant to the semi pro market would consider such an extreme niche camera model (it was a bold and brave move by Sony to make the A7s! But maybe Sony going first might make it easier for Samsung to follow? As they can clearly see what a success the A7s was. But on the flip side, is the market big enough for "two A7s" models?).

However....  this doesn't stop me holding out hope it is true!! Would solve my dilemma of which to get of NX1 vs GH4 vs A7s

I highly doubt this is true, as I doubt a big consumer company like Samsung which is only a new entrant to the semi pro market would consider such an extreme niche camera model (it was a bold and brave move by Sony to make the A7s! But maybe Sony going first might make it easier for Samsung to follow? As they can clearly see what a success the A7s was. But on the flip side, is the market big enough for "two A7s" models?).

​Samsung is VERY big and they "innovate".  They also throw things on the wall and "see what sticks".  Remember, they were the first to mass market smaller tablets at a time when Steve Jobs said 10 inch tablets were the key.  Samsung also pioneered bigger phones.  4-5 inch phones were first mass marketed by Samsung.  They are also experimented with very large tablets (12 inch plus screens), albeit with limited success.  Their line of notebook is also well respected.

The fastest selling sony A7 camera is the A7s.  I think I read that on the sonyalpharumors website. Samsung is not stupid.  They beat the Japanese in the cell phone market (and appliances).  I think Sony, Cannon, and Nikon are going to have a real fight on their hands.  Koreans vs Japanese.  Japanese companies like Canon and nikon like to play nice among themselves - incremental improvements, keep prices high on consumers; you leapfrog me this year, and then next year I'll leap frog you.. but.. don't go too far..... 

I think the Koreans will see this as a weakness.  I feel that it wouldn't be a friendly game of leap frog.  I think the Koreans mean to battle the Japanese like how they did in the mobile phone field...

.....and Samsung are one of the largest designers and manufacturers of semiconductors in the world (2nd behind Intel) - you are seeing the effect of that in the image sensor and image processing performance of the NX1.

In the 35 years I've worked as an electronics engineer, I've seen Samsung grow from nowhere to being within reach of overtaking Intel in terms of semiconductor sales, so I've no doubt they could cause serious problems for Canon and Nikon (at the very least). And in case you think that is unlikely, once upon a time Canon and Nikon were the 'new kids on the block' with a better product and hungry for market share....

I never see Samsung as innovation company, more like a some sort of Copycat. They see what other are offering and then decide to improve or add more options just because they can.

​Don't get me wrong but you are free to "see" what you like, but you should accept that the truth might be far off.  

I don't own any Samsung products and I don't want to start a brand war, but just because Samsung is not followed by a cult does not mean it is not innovating.

It is not by chance that Samsung is the leader manufacturer of phones, tables, TVs, SSDs ...  And these are end products. Samsung is second to Intel on semiconductor sales. 

As far as cameras, look what they have achieved with the NX1. That is the first iteration of these series and yet it surpasses many... 

The real bottleneck of digital cameras and where innovation is needed, is where Samsung shines: electronic circuits. 

I never see Samsung as innovation company, more like a some sort of Copycat. They see what other are offering and then decide to improve or add more options just because they can.

Improving and adding more options sure sounds like innovating to me. You can't reinvent the wheel every year. A smart company should absolutely be looking at what the competition is doing- it's good for everyone, especially the consumer.

• 1 month later...

Would have to be a 2nd line rather than a replacement. Too soon to replace it.

Low megapixel / high sensitivity version would be lovely!

Can't see this being true though.

​I'd have to agree.  This rumor has been around since late last year and it seems like MirrorlessRumors are the only ones still churning it up.  It'd be wonderful if it where true, but I'm not so convinced.  I'd actually opt for a couple of these, instead of an URSA Mini. -  That is, until the CFast 2.0 market matures.

​I'd have to agree.  This rumor has been around since late last year and it seems like MirrorlessRumors are the only ones still churning it up.  It'd be wonderful if it where true, but I'm not so convinced.  I'd actually opt for a couple of these, instead of an URSA Mini. -  That is, until the CFast 2.0 market matures.

And since the first rumor the supposed release date has been the same... the second half of 2015, so there is still time.

​Fingers crossed, my friend.  If it were to release before the Ursa Mini, they'd likely have a buying frenzy on their hands. Here's hoping.

I'm honestly hoping that the Ursa Mini is a horrible camera. Because everything BlackMagic  makes ultimately has some kind of fawl to make it impractical  for serious work. The annoying thing is they tend to have a nice picture quality. Which unfortunately means you have to put up with all the quirks.

I'm honestly hoping that the Ursa Mini is a horrible camera. Because everything BlackMagic  makes ultimately has some kind of fawl to make it impractical  for serious work. The annoying thing is they tend to have a nice picture quality. Which unfortunately means you have to put up with all the quirks.

Yeah, I get where your coming from. In addition to the cost of media, CinemaDNG looks to be a bit of a choke point, being such a bloated codec even at 3:1. I mention that in comparison to something like Redcode which, along with the additional compression options, looks darn good at even 14:1. That may be comparing apples and expensive oranges, though. All that said, I suppose it all comes back to the fact that I couldn't care less how quickly my media filled, if said media was affordable. All in all, I think BM is on the right path and makes a fine product, so who am I to nit-pick? They've said they fixed the hotspot issue, they've fixed the battery problem, and it seems their trying to be proactive with the media choice. Just another camera that we'll have wait to see. I can't say I'm not excited for the Mini. Aren't you just a little? But I digress...

Bringing it back to the NX1 variant, like I said before, I'd happily buy a couple of these for 4k60. Add an anamorphic adapter and a skilled operator and you've got one a heck of setup. Then again, vaporware is always exciting. =]

Yeah, I get where your coming from. In addition to the cost of media, CinemaDNG looks to be a bit of a choke point, being such a bloated codec even at 3:1. I mention that in comparison to something like Redcode which, along with the additional compression options, looks darn good at even 14:1. That may be comparing apples and expensive oranges, though. All that said, I suppose it all comes back to the fact that I couldn't care less how quickly my media filled, if said media was affordable. All in all, I think BM is on the right path and makes a fine product, so who am I to nit-pick? They've said they fixed the hotspot issue, they've fixed the battery problem, and it seems their trying to be proactive with the media choice. Just another camera that we'll have wait to see. I can't say I'm not excited for the Mini. Aren't you just a little? But I digress...

Bringing it back to the NX1 variant, like I said before, I'd happily buy a couple of these for 4k60. Add an anamorphic adapter and a skilled operator and you've got one a heck of setup. Then again, vaporware is always exciting. =]

sure I'm excited for the Ursa Mini but their  fix for the battery problem was simply to add a bigger battery... not manage  power better. And the hot spot problem should never have existed in the first place.  So should we really be thankful that they finally fix that, or should we instead be annoyed that they let it slip through QA?

And lastly I agree, media cost is going to be astronomical.

As for the NX1 LM, I do hope these rumors  are correct.  It would make the next decision much easier.