NAB build up - Canon working on GoPro competitor and next Cinema EOS camera will target 'wider market'

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The first thing that popped into my head was that GoPro must know that their virtual dominance in this market space would only last so long

before serious competition comes along.  

Canon on the other hand if they do this right could use a camera like this to FINALLY get into the software and new on-line media game.  A space that they have virtually ignored until now.  They might leverage this in any number of ways.   Hmmm

Canon is going to take a bit of the opposite approach from Red's "DMSC" model. More special-purpose items, but more price/performance for each given its task. 

Even the new high-res 5D illustrates this drastic change in strategy. You get what you want in a given body, but nothing else.

Fwiw, the C100 dropped to $2999 and C300 $6999 today, making the two best cameras in their price range now the two best cameras for the price. I know it's unpopular to judge a camera by its image, ergonomics, and workflow rather than its specs, but the market has already demonstrated that this is true. 

I'd still wait for NAB. Something pretty insane is coming and you're going to wish you had deep pockets.

Not sure GoPro can be considered niche anymore?

I was on vacation this week in Iceland, we went to a place called the blue lagoon.. A big tourist attraction, and I would say 1 in 4 of the younger tourists had a GoPro to take video/photos of them in the pool. I was shocked.