Canon's GH4 "Competitor"

Simon Shasha

So it's official now, as the Canon XC10. 305Mbps bit rate in All-I, it seems. 4K only with expensive CFast cards. Somewhat underwhelming on the specsheet, and at US$2.5k!

​It's US$2.5k because of the "canon value-added tax"...  hahahahaha...   I really don't see how this will compete with the gh4/nx1/a7s...  They are all cheaper and with what we know about the XC10, the alternatives are a better value.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

At 2500, this camera is a no go. At a grand... I may consider this over the FZ1000. It really is ashame these camera manufactures do not realize the market. Unfortunately, they believe that if they include too much at a lower price point then they will be hurting the sales of higher end cameras. But this camera will never compete with their own cinema line and at 2500, they won't even sell any to their "professional" customers. If this price was low enough, younger, inexperienced filmmakers might buy this as a starter cinema camera. Or someone like me that works on a no budget level but would like to upgrade to 4k. 

Not sure why people knock these things so much.... At least they try new things.

​Easy... Canon has neglected a lot of their own costumers for too long, after spending loads of $$ on their lenses. Looks like a constant joke...

C100 II...1080p

C300 II... BIG $$

5D MK III... No 50p & Mushy time!!

Now this... Nice size, codec, 4K... But fixed Shitty lens, 1" Sensor

"Semi-pros" just want a good Canon Cam, we have been begging for it for years now... That's why people knock this things. 90% of low budget shooters don't want this. We are not asking for the moon, we just want something similar to the GH4, so we can use our Canon lenses.

I like the XC10.  I don't always want to fumble around with a large camera and tote a bag full of lenses around with me.  This could hold me over until the 5D MK4 arrives.  

​If you are not serious enough to tote a large camera and a bag full of lenses, than just get a lx100.  It's a lot smaller and a lot more inexpensive (hell, you wouldn't even have to buy expensive Cfast cards).

​Easy... Canon has neglected a lot of their own costumers for too long, after spending loads of $$ on their lenses. Looks like a constant joke...

C100 II...1080p

C300 II... BIG $$

5D MK III... No 50p & Mushy time!!

Now this... Nice size, codec, 4K... But fixed Shitty lens, 1" Sensor

"Semi-pros" just want a good Canon Cam, we have been begging for it for years now... That's why people knock this things. 90% of low budget shooters don't want this. We are not asking for the moon, we just want something similar to the GH4, so we can use our Canon lenses.

​Buy an adapter for a GH4 then.

​Buy an adapter for a GH4 then.

​People are doing this, that is why canon is marketing this camera as a "GH4 competitor" -- not our words, but Canon's...   Even though Gh4 with an adapter is a better solution for low budget shooters than anything that canon has, there are some negatives.  The auto focusing is slow to non-existent, and the m43 sensor is smaller (low light issue, slighter harder to get shallow DOF, etc.).

When Panasonic or any other company overcomes these two factors, kiss canon good bye.  Canon lenses are the only reason low budget shooters still care about the company.

that is why canon is marketing this camera as a "GH4 competitor"

--------------------

Are they? Can you point me to this marketing, I just thought that was the title of this article, not a real thing?

Do you want a... "Canon XC10, better than the GH4, and depending on the light... also the A7S" in the promo? Do you really think there's no reason to be a bit disappointed with Canon?

What, are you saying Canon didn't in anyway, shape or form, say they are making a GH4 competitor?

I'm not invested in Canon in anyway, so I am not disappointed in them. I used to have a 5D3 and loved it, even better with the ML raw. If they make a camera that brings me back, good on them. I will be testing the C300 II and XC10, for sure.

It's a competitor in the mildest sense - 4k, sub $8k, small. Think some wires got crossed. Reeally don't think their intention was to take business from the gh4, because if so.. :/ could be specific uses where you'd want this over the gh4, but really not a competitor

What, are you saying Canon didn't in anyway, shape or form, say they are making a GH4 competitor?

I'm not invested in Canon in anyway, so I am not disappointed in them. I used to have a 5D3 and loved it, even better with the ML raw. If they make a camera that brings me back, good on them. I will be testing the C300 II and XC10, for sure.

​I'm saying GH4 is clearly the "poor's man" doco cam, and this is where the XC10 is heading. Great you haven't invested in Canon, and you're free like a bird, but others have, so I was just answering your question:

Not sure why people knock these things so much.... At least they try new things.

Here's the thing though John... I was invested in Canon, both camera and glass.... Then Sony bought out the FS700 and it ticked more of my boxes, so I sold up and moved on. I have since moved on yet again.... I wont cry that Canon or Sony didn;t constantly meet my ever changing needs... I just move to whoever does, say in the knowledge that my needs are not the same as the next man.

Canon glass fits everything, so I don't see the issue with moving to another platform. Then if Canon do make your dream camera, move back.

and when I said "These things" I meant canon having an attempt at a niche market... why knock it, choice is great.

Well, you know, this is a cam tech blog, so if we're not allowed to cry here, you tell me... 

I lost my hope in them long time ago, but when you see something like this it just makes you wonder.

And nope, Canon EF glass isn't reliable enough on other cams.

and when I said "These things" I meant canon having an attempt at a niche market... why knock it, choice is great.

I think the opposite is exactly the problem with Canon... No choice... want something decent, pay premium... Starbucks of cam gear

Ain't asking for a dream cam, I'm just asking for something that isn't a crippled piece of caca. Like when Canon was cool back in the XL1/2 days.