The cameras used for the films at SXSW

Flynn

"Overwhelmingly, the various models created by Canon were the most popular, however both RED and ALEXA cameras had a decent showing. All the films were shot on digital at some point, with some capitalizing on the Apple technology in their pockets. iPhones weren't used exclusively, like on the production of "Tangerine," which premiered at Sundance in January, but both "A Woman Like Me" and "I Dream Too Much" made use of the jack-of-all-trades cell phone.

Check out the specific models below, arranged in alphabetical order. Please note that some films used multiple cameras, hence the repeats."

http://www.indiewire.com/article/here-are-the-cameras-used-by-the-2015-sxsw-filmmakers-20150321?utm_content=bufferd3052&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's almost like the choice of hardware takes a backseat to ideas and collaborators among successful filmmakers. Maybe we should start looking for a forum about real filmmaking and not spec comparisons? 

Unfortunately, this is not the site for that.  This is pretty much a gear-centric place.  I think that people of my ilk congregate here because we're involved in production, but since we're all on a lower level of budget and skill it's a heck of a lot easier to talk about specs than ideas.  I can testify that in my own case I have more gear than I have ideas.   

BTW, does anyone know of a website where talking about ideas and collaborations happens?  When you consider it, does does that sort of online interaction even seem viable?

It's almost like the choice of hardware takes a backseat to ideas and collaborators among successful filmmakers. Maybe we should start looking for a forum about real filmmaking and not spec comparisons? 

​While I do agree with this, I don't think you can really draw that conclusion from this list which consists majorly of very-extremely expensive cameras.