Canon Rumors says GH4 competitor will be fixed lens in smaller C100 style body

Flynn

Very little info except for the body type, it'll be a fixed lens, and will be able to do 4k. No sensor size info or lens specs unfortunately. "As it turns out, the lens is fixed and the camera will share the same shape as the Canon EOS C100 II, just smaller. This will be a 4K product and probably geared towards drones, though we don’t now how much “smaller” it will be compared to the EOS C100 Mark II."

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/03/canon-and-nab-2015-in-april-cr3/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looking up "XC10", what I'm seeing doesn't sound that exciting to me. A fixed lens 1" sensor that is targeting the Sony PXW-X70? For me, a 1" sensor could be interesting if the fixed lens is fast, but if the lens is like what's found on the Sony, not at all interested. Of course it's all just rumors so who knows.

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/12/canon-xc10-specs-leaked-online/

1 year too late. I'm sure Panasonic will release a forward thinking camera this year that will render the Canon competitor irrelevant.

Would love to see a sales chart posted on this site or anywhere available to make comments like this obsolete...... Canon is #1 in Slr camera and lens sales, period point blank fact. Sure Panasonic sold a lot more, but lets not kid ourselves Canon is still the "top dawg" and for a reason. What am most interested in though is a successor to the A7s which in turn will introduce in camera stabilization or at least lower the prices on the original A7s so I can purchase another body.

Would love to see a sales chart posted on this site or anywhere available to make comments like this obsolete...... Canon is #1 in Slr camera and lens sales, period point blank fact. Sure Panasonic sold a lot more, but lets not kid ourselves Canon is still the "top dawg" and for a reason. What am most interested in though is a successor to the A7s which in turn will introduce in camera stabilization or at least lower the prices on the original A7s so I can purchase another body.

​Sales doesn't mean jack shit to you and I. We don't profit from any of these companies. We only benefit from forward thinking technology and manageable price points. Look at Beats headphones. 2nd worst reviewed headphones on the market, yet they're extremely popular and have killer marketing.

So... Potentially they do something that no one else is really doing.... A small, cheap, high quality 4K camera for gimbal/copter work. People cry :D

This place is brainwashed, not sure I can be bothered anymore. Why not see what happens and how it will suit your style, if this has C-log and 12 stops DR... Is it not quite a cool thing to have in the marketplace? If it doesn't work out, at least they are trying something, rather than Nikon, who seem to come in for little/no stick considering they have no video division to piss off.

So... Potentially they do something that no one else is really doing.... A small, cheap, high quality 4K camera for gimbal/copter work. People cry :D

This place is brainwashed, not sure I can be bothered anymore. Why not see what happens and how it will suit your style, if this has C-log and 12 stops DR... Is it not quite a cool thing to have in the marketplace? If it doesn't work out, at least they are trying something, rather than Nikon, who seem to come in for little/no stick considering they have no video division to piss off.

​I think the problem I that Canon have shown themselves to be very cynical with lower priced cameras in the past.. Withholding features to protect their own high end equipment won't win them any favor with the majority of visitors to this site. By all means though, if the can come out with a price competitive camera for once, that would be great!!

Panasonic will release a forward thinking camera this year that will render the Canon competitor irrelevant.

​Sales doesn't mean jack shit to you and I. We don't profit from any of these companies. We only benefit from forward thinking technology and manageable price points. 

​Seems like you're contradicting yourself........ Panasonic will render Canon irrelevant, yet they sell much more......

Panasonic needs to work on their color science with their GH line, something I miss from the older Dvx. No one is going to give up their Canon Slr cameras in favor of Mft format, it's just not going to happen ever...... Canon and Nikon are top dawgs with mirrors cameras behind, even still I prefer Sony A7s and many production companies have been switching from 5D's as we all feel Sony A7s is a much superior "stock" camera.

Outside of aerial work I would prefer many other cameras over the GH4, that digital harsh look just isn't very pleasant at all. GH3 was sharp enough now in 4k it's like pain to the eyes. Black magic worked on Dynamic Range so does Alexa, Red now is working on DR as well. Moving forward Panasonic needs to focus on DR instead of resolution which is what Sony did with tier A7s and imo the best video camera in that price range

​Seems like you're contradicting yourself........ Panasonic will render Canon irrelevant, yet they sell much more......

Panasonic needs to work on their color science with their GH line, something I miss from the older Dvx. No one is going to give up their Canon Slr cameras in favor of Mft format, it's just not going to happen ever...... Canon and Nikon are top dawgs with mirrors cameras behind, even still I prefer Sony A7s and many production companies have been switching from 5D's as we all feel Sony A7s is a much superior "stock" camera.

Outside of aerial work I would prefer many other cameras over the GH4, that digital harsh look just isn't very pleasant at all. GH3 was sharp enough now in 4k it's like pain to the eyes. Black magic worked on Dynamic Range so does Alexa, Red now is working on DR as well. Moving forward Panasonic needs to focus on DR instead of resolution which is what Sony did with tier A7s and imo the best video camera in that price range

​I didn't say Canon is irrelevant. I said the GH4 competitor from Canon will be irrelevant this year, when Pansonic (and others) will be one step ahead of the curve.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

How are you addressing the demand for compact, 4K-capable cameras like Sony’s a7S and Panasonic’s GH4?

Naturally I can’t give you details of our future plans but we are fully aware that such requirements exist in the market. We’re currently in the process of investigating, mainly to satisfy the needs of news media, and we have every intention of addressing this need in future products.

Fixed-lens mini-c100 camcorder at Gh4-price is probably what's coming. It's interesting they're seeing the GH4 to be dominant and threatening mainly in the news market, hence their response to the GH4 is a news-oriented camera. Strange. 

​They sell STILLS cameras better, not video, which is what this forum is about. If someone is buying a hybrid, they buy a Panasonic, Sony or Samsung, not a Canon.

I gave up my Canon for an NX1. No regrets, at all.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

No one is going to give up their Canon Slr cameras in favor of Mft format, it's just not going to happen ever......

​You forgot we're on a video board. Yes no professional photographers are leaving Nikon/Canon for any other smaller format, but video shooters are, PLUS the beginner/enthusiast photography market is showing a big drift towards mirrorless. So Canon/Nikon are losing big on these two markets, and on the long term it will show financially unless they address the entry/enthusiast videographer/photographer, a portion of the market that's nearly the most abundant and are buying new gear. It's dangerous unless they take that market back.