Here's what a 5 stop stabiliser looks like in low light

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

wow, truly impressed by this. if somebody had told me that its possible to take pictures with half a second exposure by hand, i would ve laughed at their face :D

ive long decided that my next camera will have in body stabilization. im thinking em1II or A7SII, lets see.

thx for sharing!

we need to re-evaluate this little cam as a special purpose tool and not as an A-cam, more like a GoPro... for certain situations ans some shot, were you did not want a bigger body and a tripod/Ronin for example...

From the DP Review: its video quality is competitive for its class

​I own the camera and disagree with that.  It's decent enough and I can use it effectively to get easy shots because of the 5-axis, but cameras that sell for $500 from Panasonic and Sony are better than the video IQ from the Oly right now.  And that's a whole 'other price class...lower.

My EM5II is a great cam in my modest collection.  It's there for certain work and performs great at it, but it's not the best tool if IQ is your premium.

You can get a d5200 for 400$, gh3 for a little bit more,etc... None of these have moire.

​GM1, GX7, A600, GH6.  Even Panasonic's GF series is worth consideration.  If you want a better video camera for half the cost of the EM5II, it's pretty easy to do. 

For me and what I've discovered, here's the deal with the EM5II:  You can't shoot far and wide "moving-the-lens" video with it.  The moire just kills the image.  

It's that bad.  Really.  I mean, just jaw droppingly ridiculous.  Like, how is this even possible in a 2015 camera?  I don't even think the Nikon D90 was this bad.  And that camera is, what, 7 years old?  (man, how I wish some sort of firmware can minimize the EM5II moiré in the future...fool's hope though)  

Static while wide is acceptable, but the whole point of this camera for me is to lose the tripod.

Here's the other deal with the EM5II: If you don't shoot far and wide you can get great video shots easily and fast with just hand held.  Often, that's enough.  I have a specific client that demands a certain style, luckily this camera fits that niche' perfectly.  I can now do those jobs quicker with the EM5II.    

And, as a stills camera, this thing is ridiculously awesome and worth the price.  The image quality mixed with some of the novelty imaging features it offers is a lot of fun.  The ability to shoot handheld at a 10 or 5 shutter?  With a fast wide on the camera such as the 12mm f2.0, it's just wonderful, creative, and enjoyable.

And, since I also dabble in night photography, the composite mode and long exposure mode have been a pleasure in which to experiment.

I'm 90% a motion pictures guy though, and...ugh, video is the issue that I consider most and why I keep writing about this stupid/great camera.  It could have been "the one" to handle everything, but it ain't.

For me and what I've discovered, here's the deal with the EM5II:  You can't shoot far and wide "moving-the-lens" video with it.  The moire just kills the image.  

How sure are you that aliasing is what kills the image? I guess you mean aliasing instead of moire, or do you mean moire specifically? Aliasing + spatial blurring can give indeed the effect that we get with the E-Mx series. But if that is the case then a AA filter will in theory improve the resolution for these shots.

Two other cases would be that they read less than 1080 lines and upsample or their debayering algorithm sucks for data created from line skipping. The solution to these two problems is straight forward (read 1080 lines or improve the algorithm). 

Now even though for the type of shooting that I do resolution is the least of my concerns, I would still enjoy a better tool. I am not sure what the problem actually is but I have the following suggestions to Olympus:

1. Enable a ~2.4x crop that will read the 1080 lines just next to each other and use the same algorithms that are used normally be the camera. Does anybody know how the 2 modes of crop actually work now? 

2. Enable sampling from all the 2592 lines and downsample to 1080 :) . 

I guess you mean aliasing instead of moire, or do you mean moire specifically?

Kind of both.  The poor aliasing and the exaggerated moiré that results from it just makes those video wide shots look bad.  I'm not too concerned about the perceived resolution the EM5II delivers.  That's good enough.

As I've written, I do hope that Oly can improved the video out of the camera with firmware, (maybe using your suggestions) but no way can that happening be a realistic assumption.

Meanwhile...killer stills cam.

1. Enable a ~2.4x crop that will read the 1080 lines just next to each other and use the same algorithms that are used normally be the camera. Does anybody know how the 2 modes of crop actually work now? 

2. Enable sampling from all the 2592 lines and downsample to 1080 :) . 

​There crop is greater than 2.4 already seems to be 2.5?  Which is one of the things they need to change that crop is the same no matter what video stabilization mode.

​There crop is greater than 2.4 already seems to be 2.5?  Which is one of the things they need to change that crop is the same no matter what video stabilization mode.

​Ok I forgot to add the crop that is "necessitated" by the mode 1 IS. Maybe the crop mode actually does what is supposed to, and the low resolution is due to pure aliasing. I will test the two modes sometime this week and see if there is any difference.