Nikon 1 J5

jagnje

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The rest of the camera is lovely yes. But come on, this "I am a 4K movie star" and choppy 15fps promo is just horrendous marketing wise. You should have marketed it as continuous stills at 15fps! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

People here should see this camera for what it is, a $ 500 interchangeable camera with a Kit lens that will cost $ 400 in 6 month, which is not meant for enthusiast and pro filmakers. Yeah the marketing sucks like all those 4k cellphone that barely reach this level of resolution because of their sensor and lens. If you follow Nikon product cycle you will know that the main advancement come in two ways. Once every four years with the releases of its flagship D3/D4 and D800 type camera, which themselves get a mid term update evolution in between and some test bed tech that they implement in entry level camera like the moire/alias free, very good lowlight D5200 camera that first used pixel binning. This camera has it purpose, can you imagine that it has a better processor than the top of the line D4s and D810 camera!!!! The latest D810 and D750 already have some of the best 1080p out of any dslr. This indicates that you will have at least 4k in the next update of the D4/d800 and all future Nikon bodies in the next two years.

Their update might be incremental but they are getting their, contrary to the A7s and Nx1 their camera don't have big flaws like rolling shutter, or lack of DR and low light in the NX1 or crappy colour science that needs an expert colourist with the Sony cameras. I see the same analogy made about Canon on internet board where the geeks can only comprehend resolution. But yet when you see pro usage or more artistic usage like film festival, the Canon is everywhere because the C100/C300 line are balanced cameras with no big flaws like appalling rolling shutter or colour science.

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/04/02/nikon-1-j5-mirrorless-camera-officially-announced.aspx/

Well this is very interesting.....  1200fps!!

But with some insanity: 8:3 aspect ratio wtf, an ultra ultra low resolution, and it gets played back at 30fps

Edit: oh, I see the J4 had the same 1200fps too, and at a higher resolution too! (Only very very slightly so...  thus still ultra ultra low!)

I don't know what the hell is wrong with nikon. All they would have to do is add a 24 fps mode and I would use the camera with small c-mount lenses for short films. Why they continue to shoot themselves in the foot when as others say they have NO cinema lineup to protect just completely baffles me.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yea I am bot bashing the camera, actually it looks lile one of the best mirrorless camera and designa out there, it's a huge leap in Nikons mirrorless line, it even looks like a little DF. I love it and the price is excellent. 

It's the inclusion of a 4K mode and marketing it saying ''i am a 4k movie star'', not just that, but releasing a 15fps promo in 2015! 

They have to excuse us from being sarcastic and bullying on it as a video community. Small marketing mistakea like this permanently affect the entire product line, asserting to many it's a Nikon toy to all filmmakera, even if it does have an excellent 1080p mode... 

Whoever though about marketing this feature as 4K video, and whoever agreed, went out to shoot the ''video'', thay entire department should be fired, they are a threat to the Nikon corporation! :D