Nikon 1 J5

jagnje

Supposed to have 4K...imagine this:

1 series flange distance is 17mm I think, and m43 is 20mm...a m43 to nikon1 adapter and a whatever to m43 focal reducer/speed booster. since speed booster canot be used on a nx500 this could actually be a nice 4k pocker camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I still have a Nikon 1 V1 and found the auto focus to be good in movie mode (the 10-30mm lens eventual was throwing errors and stopped working).  I loved the 17mm flange distance as I could use c-mount lens that were wider near the c-mount treads without having to grind them. The view finder was also very nice. Anyway, this will be a great format for c-mount lens. The add on flash also works great. If only it had 24p it would have gotten more use.

http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3780752#forum-post-55062689

According to that thread there isn't much chance for a m43 to nikon1 adapter. I really hope someone does make one though as I'd love to use a speed booster on my V2.

Also hoping Nikon adds 24p to the J5/V4 and increases the buffer to allow for more than 40 frames in burst mode. Both probably won't happen though :(

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think a simple 3mm flange increaser from Nikon 1 to m43s would be pretty easy to make, even personally if you have a good machinest. It will look like the Nikon F to Canon EF adapter, cheapest adapters out there. 

anyway aside from SB, I think Nikon is planning big videp stuff for the mirroless line, 4K first appearing on a 1 series would make sense. anybody seen this kit Nikon showed at Photoplus? It looks very comfortable and the size screen and side rotatble grip & top microphone turns it i to a serious video guy. They might be saving this kit for a 4K shooting 1 series with high end video specs. Sensor size is not bad it's a s16 but yes a bummer to manyhttp://www.ephotozine.com/articles/nikon-1-series-prototypes-shown-17472/images/highres-IMG0327_1316610699.jpg

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It doesn't look Nikon is  only targeting "soccermoms" or even consumers, it looks like they see a pro video potential in this line.​

That's a very old image, showing the Nikon 1 V1 with some 'concept' accessories that never hit the market. Even though the V1/V2/V3 aren't targeted at soccermoms they lacked 24 and 25 fps options.

This is a promo movie for the Nikon 1 J4, says enough ;) I wouldn't expect the 1 J5 will suddenly be aimed at filmmakers.

The big question is WHY though. Nikon doesn't have to protect any film business.  When they introduced the Nikon 1 V1 in 2011, it would have been appealing as a small video camera if it had at least proper framerates.

Technically speaking, Nikon could make killer video cameras in the 1 series. We've seen what people managed to do with the 30/60 fps raw burst. They just have to stick a huge buffer in it and give it a 24 fps raw option....

• 2 weeks later...

The Nikon 1 J5 is official now. 4K at 15 fps.. lol. Reminds me of the Canon EOS 500D (1080p @ 15 fps).
Anyway, this probably means the Nikon 1 V4 will get 4K @ 30 fps...

I'm surprised they even used some of the choppy 4K in the promo video:

This camera is actually designed for a new species we have yet not met who's vision works at slower 15 frames per second rate. 

I bet the video bit rate as well once they make a 24fps one is something like 24 Mbit for 4K video. So perhaps the 4th 4K camera will have reasonable feature set for video work. :) I may be too optimistic. Besides who knows if the actual 4K video is like Canon 1080p .. and the real resolution is like 2K / 2.5 K .. lol 

For me the J stands for Joke.  

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes the 500D is 20fps. I have one somewhere. It was actually perfectly unboticeable for 99% of my viewers, 15fps, is not. Marketing it as a video mode, making videos in the promo, is an utter foolish act on Nikon's part. 

If the 1V 4 is going to have 4K video then they should have waited for that. It will probably be, the compititor to the s16 4K nx500 pocket series, i,e, boring. We have S35 4K now and m43s with optimized video bodies. 

Come on now these major companies must not be unable to produce as good of products as complete new manufacturers, what the hell is the deal with that! I am beginning to think Canon and Nikon really ''can't''make a good video product...