"Clarkson should have gone to rehab" say BBC as Top Gear inquiry begins

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The saddest thing about this is that Clarkson (a personal friend of the Prime Minister) managed to do this exactly when the Tories privatised another billion pounds of NHS services, and kept something that actually matters out of the papers.

Of course it'd be crazy to say it was done on suppose wouldn't it? It's a sad, sad world...

The most worrying thing for creativity recently has to be the Pharrel/Marvin Gaye ruling...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

For instance - Egypt. I take it from your description (MattH) you didn't enjoy the filth in Cairo. Sorry about that. 

Perhaps If the British Conservative Party (and British Labour Party, I know) hadn't stage-managed Hosni Mubarak's autocratic regime for 30 years, the cleanup for your arrival would've been faster. Of course Mr. C mightn't have agreed because I gather he's a rather staunch supporter.

​I nearly fell off my chair in laughter reading about Hosni Mubarak's administration after coming here to read about filmmaking and lenses.

I am Egyptian by the way, I live & belong to that "filthy city, and yes, developing countries don't have strong laws for protecting mother earth from pollution, they're more concerned with supplying bread to citizens.  

I like Top Gear, and believe It will continue eventually, for financial reasons before all.

It is funny to laugh at your employer especially when they pay you £4m/year (and what employer should not be laughed at, especially a public sector 1 paying £4m/y.)

But it's not that funny trying it to do the same thing about an ex-employer, it just looks bitter and angry. So some new material for JC's new show or a broadcaster who'll want to make him the poster boy for faux anti-establishment rhetoric?

Mmm yeah. Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross took their suspension from the BBC with more dignity. And those two didn't even hit someone, allegedly.

Guido Fawkes and Clarkson supporters driving a Tank around London to protest for Clarkson's re-instatement?! WTF. Fandom is CRAZY* with this one.

*yeah, I'm aware that is also politically incorrect to say ;) 

Mmm yeah. Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross took their suspension from the BBC with more dignity. And those two didn't even hit someone, allegedly.

​Russell brand absolutely did hit someone, allegedly! And not so allegedly threw someones mobile through a hotel window and goosestepped across a stage in protest of the events sponsor having made nazi uniforms!

The most worrying thing for creativity recently has to be the Pharrel/Marvin Gaye ruling.

​Yeah, that's a total joke and I can't imagine similar cases sustaining this precent.  I mean, a juror on the Gaye case was asking if chords could be considered intellectual property!

I dunno ignorant juror...let's go back a millennium and ask Guido of Arezzo what he was thinking...

This happens often in U.S. courts. A jury of "peers" is anything but.

In the U.S. the legal line (up 'til now) to not cross regarding melody in particular is that every 8th note needs to be different --and the Gaye case mucks that up a lot by broadening the considerations of intellectual "theft."

Ultimately it's a money grab by the Gaye family and they won. Hooray for them, but they left a mess behind.

And Clarkson will be fine.  Having some directed antagonism seems to keep things loose with that show.  My guess is that everyone involved in the production knows this quite well and they exploit those that don't understand the entertainment industry just to keep the conversation happening.

The saddest thing about this is that Clarkson (a personal friend of the Prime Minister) managed to do this exactly when the Tories privatised another billion pounds of NHS services, and kept something that actually matters out of the papers.

Of course it'd be crazy to say it was done on suppose wouldn't it? It's a sad, sad world...

The most worrying thing for creativity recently has to be the Pharrel/Marvin Gaye ruling...

​Na, Thick has been copying loads of gaye's stuff.  That song wasn't the only one.

In the U.S. the legal line (up 'til now) to not cross regarding melody in particular is that every 8th note needs to be different --and the Gaye case mucks that up a lot by broadening the considerations of intellectual "theft."

​I get where you are coming from with the technical basis for determining whether something is the same, but in this particular case it's just so obvious that thicke or his producer listened to all of Gayes music and went "I'll have that, I'll have that, I'll have that".

Being influenced by something is fine, and as long as you don't take the piss like thicke in this case no-one is going to say anything.

it's just so obvious that thicke or his producer listened to all of Gayes music and went "I'll have that, I'll have that, I'll have that" 

The problem with this particular case law is that even though Thicke was aping Gaye, and Thicke is a musical idiot in general, the verdict opens things too wide and the industry fallout could be incredible.

Anyway, OT.

Maybe Thicke should try a little SRPC track action.   

I never thought I'd say this, but Rudolf Murdoch sums it up prefect in his Tweet.

Seems the son of a man who tried to do his best under circumstances, calls it as he sees it.

I personally dont like the Murdochs, apart from Eliza, but for once I agree that the BBC are giving away a cash cow they'll never see again.

• 1 year later...

Clarkson's Grand Tour is getting rave reviews.  Everything played out as it should.  Given who was just elected president of the United States I wonder if people have changed their mind about a standards authority yanking certain people off the public airwaves.  Imagine if The Apprentice had been pulled from the airwaves in 2005 and its star disgraced.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/global/amazon-the-grand-tour-top-gear-british-tv-critics-1201921808/

Crisis averted.  I told you guys.  If this guy is really as good as he thinks he is then he doesn't need to be mooching off the taxpayer.

• Administrators

The BBC must be feeling a bit silly now.

They basically gifted Amazon a trio of their best presenters and one of their top hits due to mishandling the show in the lead up to Clarkson losing his temper with the producer, and mishandling the fallout from that in the worst politically correct way possible.

But more of a problem for the BBC is that almost all their 2016 output aside from Planet Earth 2 has been pretty shit.