H.265 Macroblocking - NX1 FHD

samsungnx200user

Overall, a superb camera, especially for photos. Samsung has come a long way from the NX200!

One small complaint: Since the Nx1 is capable of 80Mbits, why didn't Samsung increase the bitrate for 24/23.98 for the FHD modes? Pro mode in 24/25P allow 16-18 Mbits which doesn't make sense considering the 50/60p modes allow for 40!

I notice heavy macro-blocking when the scene is heavy on details(trees for instance) and then the skies become a macro-blocking mess. Seems H.265 is more prone to this than H.264.

If Samsung truly is going to update the firmware to improve it, I hope they do two things:

1. Increase the bitrate for the Full HD modes(23.98/24/30) because why not? The hardware is capable of it!

2. Allow for uncompressed HDMI recording for FHD modes as well as adding additional 4K modes(not just 30P) to external recorders.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Are you noticing it in the h265 files?

I have found the transcode is adding macroblocking, banding and losing info. I have tried all the paid and free ones. We need H265 editing, asap.

Yes, these are H265 files, straight from the camera.  I notice the 40Mbit @ 50/60p is fine but it's the lower 16-18Mbit 24/25P modes where macroblocking can happen. So the problem and solution appears to be related to the relatively low bitrate.