Andrew Reid

Shooting with the Samsung NX500 - a pocket 4K cinema camera

Hi guys, I'm really liking the footage of those Samsung's, I'm considering ditching my GX7 plus lenses to get a NX500, I would like the bigger brother but I can't afford it at the moment...

I'm guessing is a nice upgrade right? going to the gx7 to the nx500 I mean. The only thing is keeping me on m4/3 is that I love the look of the Panaleica 25 1.4, also enjoy the Oly 45.18 that I use occasionally (they're the only lens I have in fact) Is there a lens for the NX series that can give me the Panaleica look? I've read good things about the 30mm f.2 Is it close in lowlight and rendering to the 25 1.4 considering the bigger sensor? Or what options do I have?

I was thinking os saving money to get the GH4, but It might be better having a bigger sensor, dunno... the only thing I would like to have and won't upgrading to the NX500 is the 120fps @ 1080p are news regarding a future firmware upgrade? can we be optimistic about it?

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You should save up for the NX1 the NX500 has to many limits i sent mine back. I may pick up another when they drop in price a lot over time but as a main camera you need the NX1/ The NX500 4k video quality is good but working with the camera is a bit of a pain to shoot with and you need to buy a super wide lens to make up the very strong cropping.

You should save up for the NX1 the NX500 has to many limits i sent mine back. I may pick up another when they drop in price a lot over time but as a main camera you need the NX1/ The NX500 4k video quality is good but working with the camera is a bit of a pain to shoot with and you need to buy a super wide lens to make up the very strong cropping.

​Thanks for your input, I think I rather wait then, and go either for the NX1 or the GH4, the advantage of the gh4 (although as fas as I've seen doesn't look as good) is that I can keep my lens... Any good alternatives to the Panaleica for the NX system that doesn't break the bank?

While the NX500 did not perform very well in FHD due to the extremely low bitrate (no PRO setting with firmware 1.0 and even HQ was not HQ) the new firmware greatly improves FHD capabilities of the NX500 as it makes the PRO bitrate settings available.

Checkout samples here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mr108nxf4teskpz/AADtu20DbI8lUAJUn5yjzq_ua?dl=0 (download an watch with a dedicated player, do not use the dropbox interface in the browser)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's 2.75x (in 4K of course) Many S16 lenses will cover that image circle. No adapter yet for C-mount to NX? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Unfortunately the Nx500 s35 sensor is a 1.54x crop to FF. The 4K mode is a 1.77x crop of that.

Total 2.72x crop when shooting UHD (Vs Photographic 35mm FF equiv.)

What makes the crop so high is the enormous 28mp resolution (the sensor is actually 30.7mp!), so taking an 8mp window of that really crops a lot. 

If it were adaptable to s16 glass we might have accepted it and used it as a pocket camera v2, but the thing is we'll be using the dead center of FF & S35 glass, it's a very plain aesthetic shooting an actor's close up on the Tokina 11-16mm.

Samsung really disappointed me here because I love their images, so clear, lively and modern, I just wish it was full s35 2560x1440 as shown here

Unfortunately the Nx500 s35 sensor is a 1.54x crop to FF. The 4K mode is a 1.77x crop of that.

Total 2.72x crop when shooting UHD (Vs Photographic 35mm FF equiv.)

What makes the crop so high is the enormous 28mp resolution (the sensor is actually 30.7mp!), so taking an 8mp window of that really crops a lot. 

If it were adaptable to s16 glass we might have accepted it and used it as a pocket camera v2, but the thing is we'll be using the dead center of FF & S35 glass, it's a very plain aesthetic shooting an actor's close up on the Tokina 11-16mm.

Samsung really disappointed me here because I love their images, so clear, lively and modern, I just wish it was full s35 2560x1440 as shown here

​Yes yes, I know you wish they'd kept that mode. But without knowing what roadblocks they ran into in implementing it, we can't really blame them for not putting it in the production model. 

Again, do you have a link to that? I checked a few places and got conflicting information--would love to see an official number from Samsung. 

​Yes yes, I know you wish they'd kept that mode. But without knowing what roadblocks they ran into in implementing it, we can't really blame them for not putting it in the production model. 
Again, do you have a link to that? I checked a few places and got conflicting information--would love to see an official number from Samsung. 

​If you shoot 4k and render in 1080 cant you crop into the image so that s16 glass works? just an thought though.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A link yes I forgot, here ​It's from Samsung.

Lots of crap on that page so to spare you the long search:

''BSI CMOS 1.54x sensor'' and ''(UHD FOV 1.77 times the focal length)''

http://www.samsung.com/us/photography/digital-cameras/EV-NX500ZBMIUS

Anybody know if it's a technical possibility to make a SB for the NX mount or is it just that it's not popular enough? 

While the NX500 did not perform very well in FHD due to the extremely low bitrate (no PRO setting with firmware 1.0 and even HQ was not HQ) the new firmware greatly improves FHD capabilities of the NX500 as it makes the PRO bitrate settings available.

While the crop could be overkill in 80% of the cases, I'd still want it as an option on nx1, as a digital zoom. It's actually a shame that they are not giving choice, on the high end body.

​Totally agreed! The GH series has always had a very popular 1080p crop mode with excellent quality just in case you needed that reach, although the GH cameras could also use it for slapping small-format glass on there with no vignetting. 

Also is there no way to add a USB mic or something?

How's the battery life?

Looks like I may not be able to afford the NX1, so I'm hoping that SAMSUNG will continue to update the NX500. 

My worries about this camera: No audio jack, 4k crop and 15 min time limit, No gamma dr?, No 1080p 120, No focus peaking (especially without the EVF - I've had terrible experience misfocusing based on my t3i screen), and a possible lack of updates (although the recent one is a good sign).