Shooting with the Samsung NX500 - a pocket 4K cinema camera

Andrew Reid

I agree, older nx were impossible to sell. I tried with my old nx200, when I bought thr nx300. I wasn't able to sell it even at 200€ including kitlens (mint box and all).

But the fact is...if you paid 1500€ for nx1, would you agree to sell it for 1000€ after a couple of months? Perhaps if you really need that money, otherwise I think most would keep it, unless they really hate it.

As for nx lenses, I agree. I also had decent prices for most of the ones I bought. Even for the two S lenses. And I bought all them new.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Think i am going to send mine back to i was going to use it for photos a lot to as a small camera to take with me but the image quality in low light i shoot a lot in is just not very good and when you put a big lens on it it is not that small to carry around anymore. With the 4k cropping and no other Video settings its just not worth keeping. If it was stellar in low light and high iso then it would keep it but  oo well.. I am not investing in any Samsung lens other then the 16x50 i have to. I think its now just a matter of time till Nikon and Cannon get 4k then the NX1 will not be looking so good especially in low light and i have a lot of Nikon glass. I think the NX1 is great for this year to get started in 4K and i hope for more firmware updates still hoping for any 4k slowmo.

One can dream ;-) I, on the contrary, bet nx1 will still be well over 1300$, new, at least till xmas.

Why should an used one be that cheap? Perhaps you'll find one at - say - 1100-1200$, now that new runs for 1500$. But why should ppl depart from it for that little? In favour of what?

​Doubt it. I've already heard of a few people picking up a Samsung NX1 new on eBay for $1200ish. Hopeful I'll see it drop to sub $1k second hand within the next few months. 

Some people have bought the NX1 with Rhode mic($220 value), SD card, Lightroom 5 and $51 back for only $1300 at Adorama.

There is some NX1 + 16-50pz lens for only $1,299.00 on ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331509548707 
( you can see at the top of the page : "The original item has sold for US $1,299.00. We have selected another similar item below)

And Fotohanskeuzekamp has an offer for €1999,- for the body and 16-50S lens http://www.fotohanskeuzekamp.nl/producten_zoeken/nx1/1/pagina.html.

It's great but not for people who have bought it some days/weeks ago ...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I wouldn't say ''NO'' to the camera or that it isn't impressive. Buyers just must be aware it's a s16 4K pocket camera, not a large format one. It's for example a strong competetion for the BM pocket camera, it's a similar size image but 4k, way sharper, less aliasing, way better lowlight (the BM shoots prores&raw but the nx500 is still way better in most image characters because of the sensor, BM advantage will be less banding and maybe finer grain), it shoots s35 28mp stills, AF, IS, slowmotion, better screen, much better battery, etc in short it's the only interchangeable-lens s16 4K camera and in that it's quite a camera for that alone, plus it's miniature & cheap unlike the other options (Pocket, D bolex, Ikonoskope,)

Where all my disappointment comes from is that I thought it was s35, and what frustrates even more is that the camera CAN be s35, at 2.5k, but for some reason samsung didn't want it to be at the last minute. 

I do know a great number of DPs who admire the s16 aesthetic and having one with this quality, at this price, with interchangeable lenses, makes it a stellar for these shooters.

My point is, if this was expected and marketed as a s16 4K cinema camera, it would have had a much better reputation now. Choose your format, if you liked s16 you'll love this, the image is truly remarkable, if you were expecting s35 and dislike the s16 look, like me, sorry... Unless Samy brings back the 2560x1440 s35 mode! 

I wouldn't say ''NO'' to the camera or that it isn't impressive. Buyers just must be aware it's a s16 4K pocket camera, not a large format one. It's for example a strong competetion for the BM pocket camera, it's a similar size image but 4k, way sharper, less aliasing, way better lowlight (the BM shoots prores&raw but the nx500 is still way better in most image characters because of the sensor, BM advantage will be less banding and maybe finer grain), it shoots s35 28mp stills, AF, IS, slowmotion, better screen, much better battery, etc in short it's the only interchangeable-lens s16 4K camera and in that it's quite a camera for that alone, plus it's miniature & cheap unlike the other options (Pocket, D bolex, Ikonoskope,)

Where all my disappointment comes from is that I thought it was s35, and what frustrates even more is that the camera CAN be s35, at 2.5k, but for some reason samsung didn't want it to be at the last minute. 

I do know a great number of DPs who admire the s16 aesthetic and having one with this quality, at this price, with interchangeable lenses, makes it a stellar for these shooters.

My point is, if this was expected and marketed as a s16 4K cinema camera, it would have had a much better reputation now. Choose your format, if you liked s16 you'll love this, the image is truly remarkable, if you were expecting s35 and dislike the s16 look, like me, sorry... Unless Samy brings back the 2560x1440 s35 mode! 

Right! I'm planning on selling my FZ1000 to get the nx500 (I traded in a 60D and some ef glass for the FZ). I'm already used to the cropped 4k on the FZ and I'm planning on getting the rokinon 12mm f2 to help with the crop and also for astro photography so I'll be killing two birds with one stone. I like s16 look on the fz1000 but I'm really missing the low light (for video and photo), aps-c sensor for stills, and the ability to change and adapt lenses. Viewfinder is not an issue as I'll just use my lcdvf left over from the 60D. And the nx500 is smaller than the FZ, one of the main reasons I got rid of the 60d and lenses. 

I'm hoping they add the 2.5k s35 mode and focus peaking via firmware but it's not a deal breaker if they don't. 

If it had a micro four thirds mount it would be a really cool option. Speedboosters, cmount s16 glass, super fast mft voigtlanders. But I've gotta disagree that it's a great comepetitor for the bmpcc or that you'll love it if you love s16. Yeah it's possible to get the range you want, but nothing compared to the similar gh4 crop or the bmcc/bmpcc

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes that's a good point for people who use vintage s16 glass. Is there no way to use s16 glass on the NX mount at all? 

Yes that's a good point for people who use vintage s16 glass. Is there no way to use s16 glass on the NX mount at all? 

​nope, 17.5mm flange on c-mount verses 25.5 on nx. you have to put it in slightly for cmount-mft adapters, but this is too much

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm really liking the footage of those Samsung's, I'm considering ditching my GX7 plus lenses to get a NX500, I would like the bigger brother but I can't afford it at the moment...

I'm guessing is a nice upgrade right? going to the gx7 to the nx500 I mean. The only thing is keeping me on m4/3 is that I love the look of the Panaleica 25 1.4, also enjoy the Oly 45.18 that I use occasionally (they're the only lens I have in fact) Is there a lens for the NX series that can give me the Panaleica look? I've read good things about the 30mm f.2 Is it close in lowlight and rendering to the 25 1.4 considering the bigger sensor? Or what options do I have?

I was thinking os saving money to get the GH4, but It might be better having a bigger sensor, dunno... the only thing I would like to have and won't upgrading to the NX500 is the 120fps @ 1080p are news regarding a future firmware upgrade? can we be optimistic about it?

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

You should save up for the NX1 the NX500 has to many limits i sent mine back. I may pick up another when they drop in price a lot over time but as a main camera you need the NX1/ The NX500 4k video quality is good but working with the camera is a bit of a pain to shoot with and you need to buy a super wide lens to make up the very strong cropping.

You should save up for the NX1 the NX500 has to many limits i sent mine back. I may pick up another when they drop in price a lot over time but as a main camera you need the NX1/ The NX500 4k video quality is good but working with the camera is a bit of a pain to shoot with and you need to buy a super wide lens to make up the very strong cropping.

​Thanks for your input, I think I rather wait then, and go either for the NX1 or the GH4, the advantage of the gh4 (although as fas as I've seen doesn't look as good) is that I can keep my lens... Any good alternatives to the Panaleica for the NX system that doesn't break the bank?

• 2 weeks later...