Shooting with the Samsung NX500 - a pocket 4K cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for that video markr041, looks sharp and color is nice. How is moire and aliasing with the nx500? According to your shoots it handles it quite well i guess. Thinking of upgrading my Nex-5R (everything shot in the city kind of looks like ps2 video game thanks to moire and aliasing) But I also like to keep the cam as small as possible. I am lazy and often would not bring something like the NX1 outside cause its too big.

Testing the NX500, with kit lens.

​That looks like a very nice quality to me like the NX1.. i think i will be happy with it. Even the wide shots look ok if you did not say it was the NX500 you could of posted it was the NX1 and no one would know any better.

Thanks for that video markr041, looks sharp and color is nice. How is moire and aliasing with the nx500? According to your shoots it handles it quite well i guess. Thinking of upgrading my Nex-5R (everything shot in the city kind of looks like ps2 video game thanks to moire and aliasing) But I also like to keep the cam as small as possible. I am lazy and often would not bring something like the NX1 outside cause its too big.

​I think in 4K (the only mode I shoot in), moire and aliasing are minimal. This is indeed a plus for the camera.

My first reaction was shooting down town and wow the cropping took the top off all the buildings as soon as i pushed the button.. really need to get used to that - start recording and then hit pause right away to get the framing set.

Then i went that night and shot inside a gym shooting some guys working out fighting and using a Rokinon Cine CV12M-NX 12mm lens all i could think was i need more zoom even with the crop. The 12MM was plenty wide for shooting full head to toe of the guys maybe around 10 to 12 feet in front of me. When i go back i will try a Nikon 24mm and a 35mm i have. I like being able to set to infinity and just move around.

Video quality seems to be the same as the NX1 maybe better in the shadows i say this as the photos i have shoot with it are much cleaner in every iso then my NX1 is.

I can't understand why samsung is waiting this much for implementing the new features (lossy compressed raw and cropped 4k as an alternative) on nx1. The flagships has been forgotten already??

​I think they are waiting for NAB to drop a huge update.

Anyone see what the rolling shutter is on the NX500? Crop factor is okay if it fixes the one issue the NX1 has with 4K.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Cinema5D had a preproduction nx500, it had 2550x1440 2.5K resolution at full s35 frame recording. Look how lovely this mode was above!

For some reason, Samsung suddenly removed the FF 2.5k mode and added a 4K 2.6x crop mode just before final release. 

Most of us would prefer a 2.5K s35 pocket camera instead of the 4k s16 one they gave us. Really strange decision isn't it? maybe it's because 4K is a higher number = will appeal more to consumers marketing-wise? 

One can dream ;-) I, on the contrary, bet nx1 will still be well over 1300$, new, at least till xmas.

Why should an used one be that cheap? Perhaps you'll find one at - say - 1100-1200$, now that new runs for 1500$. But why should ppl depart from it for that little? In favour of what?

• Super Members

One can dream ;-) I, on the contrary, bet nx1 will still be well over 1300$, new, at least till xmas.

Why should an used one be that cheap? Perhaps you'll find one at - say - 1100-1200$, now that new runs for 1500$. But why should ppl depart from it for that little? In favour of what?

If anyone where to sell one in Sweden today they would get at best 70% of retail. That's just how it is for anything non mainstream. Same with Panasonic, bought my gh3 three months after launch for almost half price.

As an example, a used 16mm pancake lens for the Samsung in Mint condition cost me 40% of the retail price. Zero people had shown interest in it.

People buy and sell all the time. Either it was an impulse buy, they didn't like it, need money for something else and so on.

EDIT: Just because of this discussion I had a quick look at the local classifieds and found both the 60 mm macro and 85mm 1.4 at half price. I already spent enough this month but it is tempting :)