Shooting with the Samsung NX500 - a pocket 4K cinema camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From users' reports around the web, it seems that nx500 has some points in which is better than nx1.

Namely:

1) faster buffer clearance: after 5 shots, the camera writes to sd and in about 1 sec is ready to shoot other 5

2) faster af in low light (less hunting)

3) lossy compressed files as alternative for losless

4) presence of 200p video optionoption in 720p (but greyed out in any mode, so waiting to be enabled)

A 4K test with the 50-150mm S : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxVvDZILEHE
Even if the youtube compression doesn't help, I find the quality is not that good.

Edit : link updated

​Seriously, you can tell video quality from this? So far, all the video clips from this NX500 posted that I have found (and I have looked), including those from reviewers, are based on somebody waving around the camera shooting literally aimlessly, often in poorly-lit settings. Le's wait for a video from someone who actually knows how to shoot video, or at least knows to hold the camera steady.

​Seriously, you can tell video quality from this? So far, all the video clips from this NX500 posted that I have found (and I have looked), including those from reviewers, are based on somebody waving around the camera shooting literally aimlessly, often in poorly-lit settings. Le's wait for a video from someone who actually knows how to shoot video, or at leat knows to hold the camera steady.

​I don't know but based on the videos posted on several websites, for now, i'm not impressed
I linked this video because there is not a lot of NX500 clips at the moment.
Hopefully, there will be better videos sample soon.

If only you could fit a speedbooster on there. Or maybe risk a slight vignette if you had the ability to adapt c-mount lenses. Anyone know of good lenses with the nx mount in 4k crop? Other than super telephoto?

If only you could fit a speedbooster on there. Or maybe risk a slight vignette if you had the ability to adapt c-mount lenses. Anyone know of good lenses with the nx mount in 4k crop? Other than super telephoto?

​Sigma 8-16mm if you want very wide.
Sigma 10-20mm if you want cheap wide angle (used less than $300)
Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 (or the previous 11-16mm 2.8) if you want wide + big aperture
Samyang 12mm f/2.0 (comes in NX mount) 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Just tried it, see here's the problem with nx500, Julian recommends the right lenses indeed. Look at them, all wide angles, we know how they look on s35, so imagine taking a severe crop from that tokina 11-16 (nx500 4k) and shooting a portrait/actor. Just a bad, video like image, just flat, dull, dead, as we can all see. There isn't a 35mm 1.4 sexy close up of an actor's face or a beautiful 50mm zeiss with a vignette, you use an ultra wide angle instead. 2.5/2.6 crop is BIG. The pocket got away with it because it could make use of all the beautiful 3x s16 glass and the speedbooster, this one can't use either, just cropped wide-angle SLR glass, an ugly look for me tbh... and It doesn't help when the camera shows you a preview of the full s35 image in your face during shooting then jumps in to record. At least don't show me the gorgeous s35 frame dammit!

A comparison of the 4K video from the  NX500 and NX1. Shot side by side to get the same approximate pov, both lenses set so the ISO was 800 and at the same f-stop. Both used the same model lens (NX 16-50mm PZ). The NX1 was closer in to mimic the crop factor of the NX500. Shutter priority mode at 1/60th for both. Standard color. AWB. SAF.