Hot tip: GH2 + SmallHD magnified focus assist

QuickHitRecord

I am sure that I am not the first to think of this, but I am using a nifty little workaround for the GH2's annoying lack of support for magnified focus assist when plugged into an external monitor. I find it to be quite useful, especially with all of the anamorphic shooting that I have been doing lately.

On my DP4 (also can be done with DP6), I have my regular monitoring settings plugged into Preset 1. For Preset 2, I've programmed in monitoring in pixel to pixel mode (I think it's called 1 to 1). Now, if I want to check my focus, I just scroll the wheel to the right to bring up the Preset menu and select Preset 2. Immediately, I am looking at a "magnified" view of the center of my shot, and I can even turn on SmallHD's focus assist with the touch of a button if I need to -- then I roll right on the menu wheel to bring up the Preset menu again and go back to monitoring my composition in Preset 1.

This might not be news for some people, but it's helped me out more than a few times already and I wish that I had discovered it earlier!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs