My response to the Negative Reaction to "The Quiet Escape". Negative into art.

Ed_David

http://eddavid.tumblr.com/post/113334610539/the-response-i-was-wanting-for-the-quiet-escape

After a week I finally got the response I really wanted for my short film, "the Quiet Escape" that you can only get from posting something online and having the anonymous bathroom wall writing comment on it:

"I don't mean to be rude because a lot of the shots were decent but hearing you call NYC a shithole made me disinterested .... just felt like a lot of whining. And its not magic most 20 something living in Williamsburg can afford rent they have there parents paying the bills so don't cry for them to hard. I mean why is this even a on here? What did we learn? sorry but Phillip Bloom teaches more in a simple instagram post. We can do better..... Good luck in the country buddy I was born and raised in Manhattan and it usually spits out most transplants eventually so don't feel bad"

This is a good thing.  Comments that are positive are nice, but you need the bad - to feed off of.  That’s probably one of the greatest strengths of NYC.

This comment is the underlying air that exists in New York City that you have confront after living in NYC for a certain period of time.  This feeling that you are never legit, you are never part of it, that you are always an outsider and that people want you to leave.  That you never really fit in, that you're not a true New Yorker and you'll never be one because person X has lived there longer than you.  

I dealt with this a lot on a website called Diehipster.com - it was a anti-gentrification website that featured fantasy scenarios where the blogger, Diehipster, would post videos of people who looked like hipsters getting beaten and stomped on, and also a sectio n where he would write a fantasy story of beating or maiming a hipster in a variety of cartoony ways. He was big when the hipster thing started becoming a thing around 2003-2005, or at least his hit counter clocked in at a million views.  He kept the blog going for years, but I think now it's over - maybe he moved on.

The undercurrent in NYC is grumpy and negative, like your grandpa when he's off his meds.  Maybe it comes from the rents raising and the food prices raising and the amount of people living there increasing - a feeling of loss, of being hurt by forces around you.  It makes people grumpy and have that "New York TUDE" that is celebrated in many of films about NYC.  

And it’s there and it’s something to celebrate.  So much art comes out of “difficult” situations.  No one made much of anything during the PAX Romana.  Right?  I don’t remember.  I was sleeping in class that day.

Is the "Quiet Escape" really taking a "dump" on NYC?  No it's not, well yes kind of -  but it's not that simple.  It's a study of the city - yes - and it's showing the flaws of the city - but that doesn't mean I don't still love it and love everyone in it, even the grumpy diehipsters.  I love them especially because like me, they are trying to figure it all out.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I for once thought it was a terrific and honest piece, well done! Good post as well. People are getting desensitized and desocialized because of this digital realm we've created. They try to look for the points to apply pressure, where it might hurt, pointing out flaws in others and reflecting on their own lives to reinforce how much better theirs is. And to them you're just an internet entity, you're not a real person you'd have to say this stuff face to face to, so no harm done, right? Or then there's the one that actually gets a little kick out of it when you take the bite, take a stand and respond (usually suddenly back peddling 'I didn't mean it quite like that' or just having nothing to respond with at all). Because most of the time all they want is attention, as apparently they do not get enough of this in reallife.

And for some reason people aren't allowed to be different. Imagine a world now, in which everybody had the same vision, the same preference and opinions. We'd all be chasing the same women, living in the same place, doing the same job, making the same content. We can't all do the same thing. It wouldn't be much fun at all and it would collapse on itself. So why not embrace different visions, opinions, different lifestyles, different choices... not to bring that up, but religion as well. Why always keep defending your way is the one true way? Why does it hurt you when others don't take the same path as you did? Does it make you feel insecure about the choices you've made yourself? But seriously, what's it to you when someone leaves the big city because it's just not for him? You do not like to hear bad things about your city, well, hey, it's just an opinion, you do not have to agree with it, but guess what, you can respect it. If you didn't know by now, life's not a sugar coated candy land and not everything is perfect, not even your city. Not everything is black and white. You could acknowledge there's some truth to something someone else has to say, or atleast respect the different opinion. The same way you should show a little respect for someones hard work. You lose interest the soon someone has something to say that's not in line with your way of thinking? Have you ever considered there's more to a film than agreeing on every aspect of its content? Always looking for the bad, instead of valuing the good. That's just a downwards spiral of negativity. I mean, if you get legit critique and feedback, do respect that as well, you can even turn it into something positive by taking away something from it. But purely these sad under the belt cheap shots... don't even bother with 'em. It's poison without an antidote. Not worth wasting your time and energy on. ;)

I'm sorry someone didn't like your video, but this doesn't seem thread worthy.

​No it is - because it helped me become a better person.  I make art, people react, I react to their reaction, I change, I modify my art.  

That's the whole essence of art and filmmaking, right?  To learn and grow and connect - give and receive?

I'd say that if someone wants online interaction to be part of their creative process, it really does't make any sense for someone else to chastise that artistic decision or be snarky about it.  But, of course, this is the internet.  

I'm not sure, but I believe the 21st century inter webs is energized by the snarky fusion of a thousand suns.  Or maybe the hormonal angst of 15 year old boys --which is much more powerful, I think. 

​No it is - because it helped me become a better person.  I make art, people react, I react to their reaction, I change, I modify my art.  

That's the whole essence of art and filmmaking, right?  To learn and grow and connect - give and receive?

​No, probably still not thread worthy. Isn't there a 5 page thread already dedicated to your video?

He can say whatever he wants.  

And you know what Andrew you were right - I shouldn't listen to critics and I didn't - I revised the Quiet Escape and made it better - I tried to incorporate what I heard but in the end I modified it more to what I wanted it to be.

Thank you again

Ed

At least you got out in one piece, 

many get wind up in bad situations, panic attacks, drugs , loses girlfriend to the city, anything can happen ,

i am a city guy and still i liked your video,

big cities are meant to be used and thats what you just did, bravo

Hi Ed,

Saw these various negative comments and the even more bizarre responses on nofilmschool.

I think this video is both, an inspiring and very useful example of  what can be  done with this new camera and very successful piece of work. I think this passionate  direct voice over works brilliantly. 

Congratulations and Thanks for taking the time to share.

s