good afordable 1080p?

jagnje

So, something sub 1k... anything better that the gh3? I like the a6000, I have a long lasting hate for avchd, 5100- no evf...whats left? I love the nx1 colours and I would buy the nx500 just for the 1080p, but I really dislike the macroblocking that happens during conversion...if something comes up in the next few weeks that fixes the problem I will buy it. Any sugestion?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have you considered the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera? I suspect it will come down in price after NAB. B & H recently had a deal where you could get the Pocket, the Panasonic 14-140, an extra battery, and a memory card for under a grand. To my eyes, it​'s still likely to produce the best looking image in something under a grand. This was shot with Blackmagic cameras by someone who clearly knows what they were doing and could've made any camera look good, but still, it's pretty remarkable:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33009

I`ve been shooting with black magic cameras for a while now, mostly production camera...I love the image it produces, but it has to many drawbacks for me. I need at least 60p( I shoot alot of skateboarding) and I also need a stills camera. I guess I could keep the t2i I have for that, but having both in one suits me far more.

I regret not getting one when it was 500$ or so...oh well. I`ve seen some pretty impresive hacked GH2 footage as well, is there such a hack for gh3 as well?

If you need high frame rates maybe wait and see what the nx500 is gonna offer. There's a post on here about the nx1 possibly being able to do 240fps via a firmware update. That would be insane and incredibly useful for skateboard vids. Maybe wait and see how much of the NX1 vid capability gets passed down to the NX500. They already announced a firmware update for the NX500 and it's not even out yet. So maybe they'll keep improving it.

Have you considered the Nikon apsc cameras like the Nikon D5300 that can be had for about $ 500. Very good colour, dynamic range, low light, 60p and good rolling shutter. You can even pair it Ninja afterward to get higher bitrate content. Disadvantage is lack of peaking, not the highest resolution and no aperture change while filming. But with the remaining money you could buy yourself a nice set of primes with aperture rings that will long outlast the camera or a Ninja that will give you peaking, exposure measuring and highbitrate in still a very compact package. Nikon has also launched the d5500 which seems to be quite sharp out of camera and has a touch screen for about $ 800 (for now).  It also has the new flat cinema profile and zebras for overexposure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFPe1RelKYY

There is some sample of the D5500 in the review below

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5500/

My suggestion... Wait until NAB. It's the worst time of the year to buy a camera.

​This.

If 1080p is good enough for you I would wait and see what the NX500 is like. If it has the same 120p as the NX1, it would be perfect for your skateboard vids. Keep in mind, the conversion process is just a temporary hurdle, the major editors should support it in the upcoming months. 

If you wait until NAB, then you also have to wait for all those cameras to actually come to market. You could be sat around for 6 months (or way more). Buying now, with your budget, might just be the PERFECT time to buy, as people offload older kit.

For your budget and needs, i'd try and grab a 2nd hand A7II, good 1080p, slow motion and 5 axis stabilisation, something that would help with skate videos. Get out there and start shooting, rather than waiting for the next new toy.

Even if the perfect camera arrives at NAB, you could probably resell your camera and make back 70-80% and have another X amount of months filming under your belt.

I like what nikon has to offer, I`ve been through the sample footage multiple times and the only reason I don`t own it yet is that I have a few m42 lenses, that I really love but can`t use them on the nikon because of the focus issues.

The GH3 I can buy used tomorrow for 500€+100€ lens turbo and It seem to have the sharpest 1080p image, but I would really miss having no flat profile... I can wait until NAB, or for adobe to have h.265 support, but as others has said I could spend that time shooting instead of waiting for the perfect camera.

I can rent atomos samurai for free when I need it...does GH3 do uncompressed hdmi out?

G6 is nice, but the bitrate is not enough for my use. I often strap the camera to the hood of the car and follow skaters down the hill, and I think that the G6 would not fit.

I like the lx100, but it has to be a camera I can swap lenses on so...

One other thing is that Nikon has been using pixel binning which has cired aliasing and moirer to a great extend which is not what I heard of a lot of the other Sony cameras and the gh3. In fact what they have produce is camera that are very well rounded. That is in most case it is at least good, it does not exel on one side and has big flaws in others, at least flaws that cannot be fixed like aperture ring lens or external monitor in case of peaking.

About lens, the best choice would be get a set of full frame Nikon primes from let say the AFD era. It is an investment that will last much longer than all those camera bodies and also brands, because those lens will mount on about everything.

Waiting for NAB isn't waiting for "the perfect camera", it's just seen where the market's heading, and yes, sometimes it takes ages for a camera to be released, but one of the main reasons to wait is the painfull price drops (2nd hand gear too) after key announcements. As said... bad moment to buy, great one to sell. But if you need it ASAP for a job... go out and buy it, or even better, rent.

Got a magic ball Jimmy? Just kidding! Who could have anticipated the pocket camera 2 years ago? Or 500 and 1000$ price drops?  Hybrids? Jump from GH3 to GH4 (not just its 4K)? More players in game than ever... And they all have to move faster each time, no more Rebels and 5D comfort anymore... Dunno, I would wait defo

I just think NAB is overblown.... what actually got announced, last year, for the indie guy?

Cion? Ursa?

That's about it, and way above this guy's pricetag. The BMPCC is the only camera that ever launched at NAB at this guy's price range and took a year to come to market. A BMPCC mk II is possible, but would you really recommended waiting for a Blackmagic camera?

Anyway, my view is to ALWAYS get out their and shoot, especially if you only have a small budget. Sitting on $1k is pointless when there are now so many amazing options at that price point. Buy 2nd hand now and you wont lose much.

A friend has a d5300 and has sent me some raw footage, so I can see hoh it grades and sharpens up in post...DR is amazing and and it sharpens up nicely in davinci. The only thing that bugs me right now as I said is that I cant use the mir24 and helios44, two of my favorite lenses.