NX1 Autofocus question

Brian Luce

For video I use manual focus on my NX1. Today I was experimenting with auto focus (in vidoe mode). It seem it only focuses fully automatically. Questions:

1) is there a semi auto focus mode? Meaning depress shutter button half way, the camera will auto focus, and lock the focus and not hunt regardless if the camera pans or moves.

2) If #1 is possible, can you do it while camera is recording? or only standbye?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You should be able to set it to SAF and it won't hunt once you've locked a focus point. Active AF that's with SAF but switches to CAF if it notices the focus subject moving. You can also lock it with AF On. Keep your finger on it and it'll lock. 

I have not experimented with half shutter yet, but you can use the touch screen to choose your focus point, even when recording. In the menu, you can set how fast or slow or rack focuses too, nice touch.

​I played around with that and it's extremely cool. I find it super hard though to actually implement such capabilities into my shooting style because I am so locked in to manual focus in video mode. I am essentially terrified of giving up any sovereignty to the software. That's how Skynet got started after all. 

haha, yea... I'm the same, but it's been fun testing this stuff out. Can certainly see some uses for it.

I wonder if the Android app allows for focusing? Will have to add that to my test list. That would be great to have someone operating the cam on a gimbal or something and then using the app to pull focus.

Just checked.. It kind of works, but seems a bit clunky.

I was wondering about a remote shooting app too. I was in an unusual shoot today where I really couldn't man my nx1 , manual focusing was dicey because I only had a few brief seconds to set the shot, and the semi auto focus would've been ideal but i couldn't quite figure it out. A remote app wouldve been perfect as well. sorry to hear it's not too good.

Having single AF can really be a godsend. I use it with Nikons on cranes or even steadicams. Not for the whole clip, but just to set initial focus point.

With the D7100 on an 8' Kessler crane, I took a $9 Amazon wired shutter remote, spliced 1/8 stereo male & female jacks, and got a 6' mini headphone extension cable. With that and an HDMI viewfinder, I can get the crane's height and angle set, set the focus point, and trigger the shot.

Of course, if focus needs to shift during the move I have to operate from the front, usually with a monitor on a stand or a an assistant holding a VF up to my eye (this can work surprisingly well, especially in bright sun). Samsung has released an SDK for camera control, so we should be seeing some stuff appear eventually in that dept.

You know you having Track Focus right? Touch the object on the screen and it will just follow it. 

​I'd just looove to see a video test where that actually works for motion. Hey, maybe Samsung will surprise me, but I think you'll start really missing a focus puller with an FF when you try it...

​I'd just looove to see a video test where that actually works for motion. Hey, maybe Samsung will surprise me, but I think you'll start really missing a focus puller with an FF when you try it...

​I've used it loads. Only published this vid though http://youtu.be/abIuvWgFkgc

I haven't had a problem with tracking people, even in busy environments. I'll try and do a test with humans pronto. Just thinking I'd probably want to use my Hyperdeck 2 to capture the screen output for more proof. But yeah, manual focus is still my favourite lol

• 2 months later...

That would be interesting - you look at the specs for NX1 Af and it really is next-generation. AF that could track without jitters would be pretty amazing.

​Here is another vid, every shot was AF - and this is before the 1.3 update that just came out