NX1 shootout with panny and BM

Brian Luce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah the NX1 has the worst rolling shutter of the 3. In terms of "Film Look" I think the blackmagic wins as well. Also in the first shot with the NX1 you see less information in the cloudy sky, definitely need to protect the highlights in the camera. Also don't know what each of the camera's were set at for the test, would like to get more specifics. 

Yeah the NX1 has the worst rolling shutter of the 3. In terms of "Film Look" I think the blackmagic wins as well. Also in the first shot with the NX1 you see less information in the cloudy sky, definitely need to protect the highlights in the camera. Also don't know what each of the camera's were set at for the test, would like to get more specifics. 

​haven't seen the film - but the NX1 wins in the "least use of battery, most portability, best screen" vs BMPC.  Sometimes image isn't everything you need to factor in.  I'm glad I unloaded my BMPC - that thing ate so many batteries and had a very low res screen.  Reminded me of the screen on the hvx200 - hard to get things in focus!

It looks to me like the blackmagic is terrible and is most likely going to be put out of business by samsung! ;) (kidding of course). I'd say the only downsides to the Panasonic is its lack of lens Change ability, and, sensor size (not very shallow DOF in this comparison). The rolling shutter on the nx1 is not that big of a deal when you look at all the additional downfalls of each camera. Some might disagree but I think the nx1 is the biggest bang for your buck. It's also my choice of upgrade. Blackmagics do create the most pleasing images but do to all the downsides like battery life, file sizes, low light performance, it just become the type of camera I'd rent if I need to shoot raw or something On a production with a bigger budget that can't quite afford reds.