nx500 4k crop mode

Marco Tecno

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​I was kind of thinking the same thing.  But Samsung is a little vague on its spec sheet, if you read Dpreview people are discovering the 120fps option and Samsung only lists a Slow/Fast mode in the video specs.  Perhaps the crop is an updated option since the processor can do full sensor readout, Samsung seems to be continually discovering more features that are made possible by the considerable processing power in the NX1.  I'm still holding off ordering though.

I've seen the 240fps screenshot too, there has to be another big NX1 update coming.  The more I shoot with it, the more I like it.  My NX1 just replaced the A7s, its so much faster and more responsive, better ergonomics and much easier to set up.  I decided 4k internal was better for me.  If the NX500 is a dud, there's always the LX100.

​The DPReview people didn't "discover" anything. It is clearly described in the manual. That those individuals couldn't comprehend the concept doesn't mean that it was "discovered".

​The DPReview people didn't "discover" anything. It is clearly described in the manual. That those individuals couldn't comprehend the concept doesn't mean that it was "discovered".

Well right now we only have the spec sheet from Samsung on the NX500 and it doesn't specify Slow/Fast capabilities. 

​That is a shame, though I do hope they give it to us as an option in the NX1.

​Agreed.  It would be nice to get a little extra reach.  Its tough to get specifics without any hands on reviews, but reports say its sampling part of the sensor rather than the full sensor readout.  It might be a processing issue with the smaller camera and a less robust image pipeline.  What the NX1 is doing with the new sensor, full readout and such is flat out amazing.

DRIM Vs and crop is actually official info from Samsung NX500 product page, not just speculations. It even specifies 1.68 crop (relative to 1.54 APS-C) for cinema 4K and 1.77 for UHD 4K. http://www.samsung.com/sec/consumer/store-only/store-camera/product/EV-NX500ZAMIKR

On US webpage it says DRIM Vs and only says about reduced field of view for 4K.

http://www.samsung.com/us/photography/digital-cameras/EV-NX500ZBMIUS

Small raw buffer(for those who are interested in still photos) have been confirmed as well via Korean manual.

• Administrators

It's now officially listed in Samsung's specs. The NX500 crop is confirmed. Bummer...

​It might have some advantages.

- Finer noise grain

- Less banding (this can be caused by scaling)

- Less rolling shutter

And 1.68x crop is tiny over 1.6x crop Canon APS-C standard, nobody complains about 1.6x vs 1.5x APS-C standards do they?

I think the difference will be smaller than imagined.

1.68X is relative to APS-C. So relative to FF it's gonna be 2.58X for cinema 4K. So working 4K area is gonna be smaller than GH4's 4K(which I think is 2.3X). Without speedbooster(not available for NX system) or fast short focal length native lenses I could see how it could be problematic. 

But is it 1.68x crop relative to FullFrame or to APS-C (1.68*1.54=2.58x)?

​That's what it appears to be from the video sample, but Samsung's wording is still confusing. Hopefully we get a review soon. From the US site's specs:

*When recording 4K or UHD video, the angle of view becomes narrower. (Effective angle of view : approx. 4K 1.68 times, UHD 1.77 times the focal length)

Even with the crop this camera is about the same sensor size as a GH4 and even larger than a Pocket Cinema Camera/BMCC. So it's still a pretty sweet deal when you look at it that way. Its basically a 4k Pocket camera with interchangeable lenses and the option to go to super 35mm 1080p. Id still buy the NX500 over a GH4 if those were my options. But the NX1 looks far more appealing so for double the price as the NX500 id say its worth just getting an NX1. 

Even with the crop this camera is about the same sensor size as a GH4 and even larger than a Pocket Cinema Camera/BMCC. So it's still a pretty sweet deal when you look at it that way. Its basically a 4k Pocket camera with interchangeable lenses and the option to go to super 35mm 1080p. Id still buy the NX500 over a GH4 if those were my options. But the NX1 looks far more appealing so for double the price as the NX500 id say its worth just getting an NX1. 

​I like the samsung Series of cameras. However, m43 has far more wide angle options than the Samsung mount. The widest lens is 12mm or in the 4K mode on NX500 about or about a 35mm Full Frame Equivalent. With no speedbooster. That is horrific in terms of wide angle options.