nx500 4k crop mode

Marco Tecno

From a post on dpr by ihkim (creator of rocky mountain converter):

NX500 launching show was held in Korea today.

Big news is NX500 will have 4K video as crop mode which is same way how Panasonic does.

For the 4K movie, NX500 will crop its sensor center area and map 1:1 pixel mapping for 4K. As result, NX500 will have crop ratio 1:1.6 in 4K mode.

As you know 16mm focal length lens has 35mm equivalent 24mm ( 16 x 1.5 APS-C crop ratio).
When you take 4K with NX500, the video will have around 38.5mm focal length effect. (16mm x 1.5 APS-C crop factor x 1.6 NX500 4K crop factor)

The other video modes are not cropped though. (full pixel read-out and resize)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So on the n500 4k will only be a 1.6x crop not like the nx1? Or is it an extra crop mode? 

If it's only 1.6x it's understandable since the nx1 reads a full 7k feed and downsamples it ti 4K, LOTS of power needed that might not be feasible in this tiny body so going for a 1:1 crop minus downsampling makes it a lot less processing intensive. 

As Ebrahim said, rescaling from 6.5k is a big load for the hw. The small body of nx500 could be unable to dissipate the heat. Or it could be a marketing decision to differentiate those models.

6.5 to 4k is a bit like a premium mode. But again, having ALSO the crop mode on nx1 would be nice!

This is sad to read i was all ready to buy one but this might change that now will have to see how it all looks when people have it and start shooting. Will this effect the video image quality being cropped like this? Will it still match the NX1 if you shot with both.

Kinda sucks as i wanted the NX500 to use maybe on a drone for wide shots i guess it would be nice when shooting things i need more zoom with.

With 1.7X 4K crop you could forget about wide shots. So I guess it's only good news for NX1 owners, since having crop 4K functionality in NX500 makes it easy for samsung to add it as an aditional option to NX1 in the next FW update. If it's done due to lower processing power of NX500 (which I suspect is the case), I doubt we would expect a decent 1080p either. Since even NX1's 1080p is kind of luckluster compared to downscaled 4K in post. 

Oh well, I guess I am pulling out my preorder. 

Not really. For some (me included, who is not proffessional filmmaker) it made it unusable. I believe Panasonic found a good compromise between GH4 and LX100(keep in mind a much better lens is supplied with LX100). If they couldn't fully readout and process NX1's sensor by NX500 processor they should have put a sensor with lower MP count. 

Not really. For some (me included, who is not proffessional filmmaker) it made it unusable.

​Unusable??? Really??? Isn't that a bit embarrassing to write? I mean, I understand that there are products that you prefer on the market, that's entirely your decision but to publicly admit that, no matter how you earn your income, you couldn't use a camera because it crops the 4k mode is.. well, let's hope Oliver Stone never reads this!

Agreed. Having this crop mode as the only option is not good. But having it as a choice (a sort of digital zoom) is convenient and could reduce rolling shutter and jello.

Andrew, if you are reading: did you send the suggestions for future firmwares to your contact in Samsung? I think I already mentioned this in my list, on the other topic, but if not, please add it. Thanks!

Kind a bummer for me too, because I want to buy the NX500 for concert handheld recording - which means that I need OIS. With my GX7 I use the 20mm f/1.7 a lot (with the 2x crop factor it is 40mm in FF), then the 38,5mm with a 16mm (widest OIS lens in Samsung lineup) is similar. But I was wishing the 24mm field of view.

But a 1:1 sensor crop probably will eliminate moire, or I'm wrong?