[The Quiet Escape] A short film I shot on the Samsung NX1 - B&W and Color. 4 min.

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Ed! It would be great if you put subtitles in english for non native public. I understand most of it, but would love to understand ALL!!! Congratulations!!!

​Same with me. As a big fan of Chris Marker, I love this thoughtful, streaming-consciousness-like poetry. I realize I understood ALL (in essence) just by getting tuned to the voice, almost music by itself (BTW: What was that music?).

New Yorkers don't have a difficult dialect for foreigners to understand, they just speak (and think?) too fast. The same is said of Berliners, where Andrew lives. They also create the most new idioms. 

I particularly liked the editing. And how you treated sound(s). 

I think that the nx1 has currently the most powerful hw in a camera. It could do all this and much more, if programmed well. I can only try to imagine what it could happen if the guys of magic lantern had access to the source code...

Imo it could do 6.5k at 24fps.

​Would love to see what the Magic Lantern guys could do with this camera.

I think it's great and I enjoyed watching it, but you already know that (that it's great). In fact I watched it a few times, and also a few videos of people you work with and I found that you really mastered the craft of editing because everytime I watch it to learn something about what you are doing I forget about it and get drawn to "the story". Maybe I'm just retarded...

It would be nice to have a 4K download to avoid the compression artifacts messing up the grain.

I think it's great and I enjoyed watching it, but you already know that (that it's great). In fact I watched it a few times, and also a few videos of people you work with and I found that you really mastered the craft of editing because everytime I watch it to learn something about what you are doing I forget about it and get drawn to "the story". Maybe I'm just retarded...

It would be nice to have a 4K download to avoid the compression artifacts messing up the grain.

​agreed - but i think i have to be a VIMEO pro member to do 4k files? anyway - i'll make a 4k version somehow - also I'll make a youtube version

Hi Ed, I really enjoyed your film. I love the voice over and the feel of the video. It kept me glued the whole time. If I may say one thing. Just my opinion, but I would have loved to have had more anonymity of which city you were talking about. Every time you said nyc it made me come out of the story a little bit. Other than that, I loved it!

Regarding the comments on animators...

My son is in his last semester of film school at the University of Texas. For the last four years, he comes home, we have dinner, we laugh and talk, or go out for burgers and a beer (he's quiet until he has something truly funny to say and then it's devastating, not like me just throwing verbal spaghetti at the wall all day. He's the kind of child you don't even dare to wish for in the delivery room.) Then he goes to his room, plugs a stylus pad into his laptop, and begins drawing one frame at a time. For hours and hours and hours. He's developed his own methods that are kind of strange, but he's been singled out as one of the top students in this graduating film class. So Andrew's thoughts on animators are exactly what my kid is. He's a good looking, smart and funny guy - and when he's not grilling ribs with his room mates, he's alone in these worlds he creates, doing it his own way. I think he'll go far.

I guess I just wanted to BRAG A LITTLE... but have a look at one of his shorts:

http://www.dylcar.com/spider-bite/

Or if you have Flash installed, he actually got some international press after this piece was completed:

http://www.dylcar.com/alz/

Ed. What a wonderful film. I could go on about all the technical aspects of your piece, and yes they are all wonderful. But for me as a viewer you hit at the core of what I went through when I left Los Angeles in the late nineties and moved back to my homeland of southwest Colorado. I do not make half the income as I did in LA. However, I am spiritually happy, I am still producing content and I am at peace with not having to deal with the driving rate race of LA. Speaking of which, once I finish writing this post I have to get back to editing our documentary Lasso The Sun. All the best from the mighty San Juan mountains.

Bravo! 

Hi Ed,

I don't know how I managed to miss your movie - being an eoshd addict and NX1 owner and all that - 

It's really great. I love how you twisted the image into fitting your story and not the other way around. The text is really beautiful too. I don't think I'd be wrong if I said that it resonates with most peoples aspirations and dilemmas. It sounds personal, intimate and powerful. 

Also it makes one think about how we all want the most "filmic" camera but with the cleanest image possible... Well it feels good to see a modern camera deliver such a nice and authentic feeling picture - but oh well I love my NX1 too so I'm not to be convinced of that :) 

Anyway it's a great video, just saw you got an article about it on nofilmschool too. Totally deserve it and more ! We'll probably get to talk some more around other geeky topics ;) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Beautiful work.  I also have the NX1 and stunning results.  I want to buy the 85mm Samsung but I rented one that continually fidgeted in trying to focus during filming.  I mean like two - three times a second.  Have you used this lens?  Or does anyone reading this lens have this result?  I'd like to buy one to finish my homeless documentary, which has a great deal of nighttime available light of the unfortunates in the rainy streets of LA. This is shot with Samsung's 16-50mm f 2.8.

Fletch.jpg

4 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Should probably get moved to the correct forum section

I think it already is and was in the correct section due to its interesting discussion it lead to. Just my opinion. I think, being in the main section is much more grace to this piece and to its discussion. It gave me the opportunity to discover Eds work. His vimeo channel is full of resources and viewing pleasure for the lover of the short film form. Same for instance with Andy Lees post about his work with the Panasonic G7 leading to an insightful discussion on lenses and setup when showing examples of his feature Pandora. By the way @andy lee, when are you going to satisfy our hunger for some teaser footage, in the graceful main section, of course? :)