[The Quiet Escape] A short film I shot on the Samsung NX1 - B&W and Color. 4 min.

Ed_David

My latest short film!!!  "The Quiet Escape."  Shot on the Samsung NX1 with 35mm Nikon AIS f2 lens and Leica R 100mm lens - one shot.  Used Filmconvert and Gorilla Grain to treat it in Davinci Resolve.    Came out so nicely.  THANK YOU EOSHD and Andrew Reid for this camera!!  

Minus 5 contrast

Minus 3 saturation

Minus 12 (all the way) sharpness

Before Gamma DR existed.  The olden days. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks great! I really loved the dialog. Felt very organic. I just have one question. On the shot with the baby, and the women at the desk I noticed some "flicker", or "exposure drift". Is that still an issue with the nx1?

​No I think in my grading I mixed up two jump cuts and didn't keep the same grade - but after seeing it the mistake seemed really pretty like old film - so I kept it in.

It's all fixed up.

Thanks very much for enjoying it!  I love grading the NX1 - how it handles highlights at night is so beautiful- seems better than the Sony A7S.  I need to do a test on this asap.

The sign of a good film is watching the film and not noticing any technical details- following the story, which I did- nice job!

I feel ya regarding living in a big city vs. the country where I grew up (on 2 acres in San Diego). I moved to LA (Beverly Hills) in 2006 to work for Myspace. I avoided the #1 traffic in the USA by walking to work. After Myspace I've been fortunate to be able to do mostly remote contract work to avoid the traffic. Once when working in Santa Monica it took over 3 hours to go 11 miles to get home. I could have walked faster. Trying to go East from Santa Monica after 2pm is challenging (the 'secret shortcut' is jammed too). Big cities have their plusses, but after a while it's time to get out, at least most of the time (sometimes work/family/friends bring us back). I kinda understood why some people from big cities moved to small towns/country, now I fully understand. Fellowship and connection to friends/family is the most important thing in life, not money or things. After many years in tech and the arts my next business is related to organic foods and spending more time with nature.

Hi Ed, great storytelling. Forgot in 5 secs this was the NX1. I've been thinking of making little films about areas I explored in my childhood - so it's inspirational. 

I re-watched it silently to look at the footage quality - what is this ultra smooth highlight roll off I'm seeing? Cameras this size and price don't look like this!? The only reason I've not bought it is the H265. 

Please make more films with any camera. Try an iPhone next ;) 

• Administrators

Absolutely superb Ed.

Love the cinematography, the mood, the idea, the sound, the writing, it's all spot on. Two lines in particular, the one about your dog knowing something "we're still trying to figure out" and the closing lines about New York - utter magic. Will stay with me for a long time because it's exactly how I feel about Berlin at the moment.

Great post, Andrew. As an animator, I enjoyed reading the comparison of filmmaking and animation. For me the individuality of animation, especially if you work for yourself, is definitely the thing that sets it apart from filmmaking. This isn't to say you cannot be an individual in filmmaking, as I know I've been incredibly moved and inspired by some, but your point and the fact that so many are so worried about which camera, is it filmic, which LUT, how much rolling shutter, sensor isn't large enough, blah blah blah leaves the typical filmmaker in a world of hang-ups. In animation, your characters can be stick figures with squiggle motion, your world can be upside down, rolling shutter can be an effect your meant and dust on the lens is added for that one extra touch. I know because I've been caught up in the filming hangups myself, but I sure am glad I can set it aside when I want and just go create some characters. It certainly is freeing.

• Administrators

Great post, Andrew. As an animator, I enjoyed reading the comparison of filmmaking and animation. For me the individuality of animation, especially if you work for yourself, is definitely the thing that sets it apart from filmmaking. This isn't to say you cannot be an individual in filmmaking, as I know I've been incredibly moved and inspired by some, but your point and the fact that so many are so worried about which camera, is it filmic, which LUT, how much rolling shutter, sensor isn't large enough, blah blah blah leaves the typical filmmaker in a world of hang-ups. In animation, your characters can be stick figures with squiggle motion, your world can be upside down, rolling shutter can be an effect your meant and dust on the lens is added for that one extra touch. I know because I've been caught up in the filming hangups myself, but I sure am glad I can set it aside when I want and just go create some characters. It certainly is freeing.

​Nice post :)

Today in Mirrorless rumors

I got some tidbits about two more features that Samsung plans to add on the NX1 via future firmware upgrades:

1) raw lossy compressed files (ala sony) selectable to increase buffer size and reduce file size in general. The compression has been studied to retain 95-99% of sensible information, while reducing of 15 to 30% the file size.

2) cropped 4k (along with the already existing downscaled 4k).

I have no detail about when exactly the next firmware will be released but I have been told it's "very soon".