Olympus E-M5 Mark II - love and hate at first sight

Andrew Reid

• 4 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 5 months later...
On March 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM, Henry Gentles said:

This John Brawley Post arrived today testing the new firmware updates! https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/olympus-e-m5-mark-ii-flat-profile-tested/

People should take a look at this. This footage looks gorgeous, I only saw a couple strange jitters when the camera was suction mounted to the car, might've given the camera body too much vibration for the 5 axis stabilization to handle. Overall though, this was done with a BM Video assist, occasional bounce light and the Oly 12mm and the Oly 9-18mm. That is fucking GOOD LOOKING STUFF for what is used here. Olympus is unmatched with stabilization, this is all handheld and it looks outstanding. Still 8 bit but hard not to be impressed. The narrative and song are not my cup of tea at all, but the imagery is great. 

Direct link to video: 

3 hours ago, anchoricex said:

People should take a look at this. This footage looks gorgeous, I only saw a couple strange jitters when the camera was suction mounted to the car, might've given the camera body too much vibration for the 5 axis stabilization to handle. Overall though, this was done with a BM Video assist, occasional bounce light and the Oly 12mm and the Oly 9-18mm. That is fucking GOOD LOOKING STUFF for what is used here. Olympus is unmatched with stabilization, this is all handheld and it looks outstanding. Still 8 bit but hard not to be impressed. The narrative and song are not my cup of tea at all, but the imagery is great. 

Direct link to video: 

Check out the other Olympus vid on the frontpage here. Brawley commented.

1 hour ago, jase said:

I am wondering whether this is such a thing as as a simple ProRes recorder without display or anything that just takes the HDMI feed and dumps it as ProRess on SD or SSD? Something with a very simple interface like the GoPro's?

Check out the ninja star. Very basic. I am thinking about getting one myself. 

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Check out the ninja star. Very basic. I am thinking about getting one myself. 

Looks on first sight exactly what I am looking for. On second sight it does not accept 1080p@50/60fps(?) and those CFast cards are ... expensive.

On 8/16/2016 at 5:38 AM, jase said:

I am wondering whether this is such a thing as as a simple ProRes recorder without display or anything that just takes the HDMI feed and dumps it as ProRess on SD or SSD? Something with a very simple interface like the GoPro's?

The video assist I used for this shoot is very low cost and small.  I thought it did the job very well.

JB