Olympus E-M5 Mark II - love and hate at first sight

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have to admit to an error in my tests.  The recent discussion on curves prompted me to double check.  I had fiddled with the curves and forgot that's why my out of camera EM5 file was so flat and needed a contrast boost.  The setting was probably +4/-4 or +3/-3 so my bad :wacko:.  

​Not an error it is a feature of the camera. Maybe reporting it so others can replicate it. 

Adjusting the curves actually allows for a lot of control! 

​If you want to adjust both the ISO and the aperture in the same shot then yes, as is it is impractical. But if you want to adjust just one parameter then you can select it in the LCD quick adjust panel before the shot, and then when need to change it you push the OK button and rotate the front dial. So the dial does work after all but you need to press the OK button beforehand.  

​Yeah I know.  It's not practical though while filming.

As for me, I spent this afternoon shooting "natural" with all settings at -2.  I like it.  I also filmed 24p with a 0º shutter.  Those settings are probably not to some tastes, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

​I have been playing with the idea of the 0 deg shutter and 24p too. Either I got used to the 30p from E-M1 or there is something else going on because the 180 seems more like 360 for some reason. 

Fuzzy, I wouldn't count on Oly for a firmware fix when they can't even do one for 24p on their flagship camera.

We need to come up with a list of important things to improve on that are actually feasible. 

I would put the following: 

1. Adjusting aperture/ISO with the dials without the need to press the ok button. 

2. Locking the AWB. AWB is very accurate but we need to lock it during the shot.

3. Being able to control the temperature and tint with the two dials. 

Anything else? 

​I have been playing with the idea of the 0 deg shutter and 24p too. Either I got used to the 30p from E-M1 or there is something else going on because the 180 seems more like 360 for some reason. 

​You know what else is weird?  On my GX7, I HAVE to shoot 125 shutter in 60p mode in order to get slow-mo footage to conform properly...not so on the EM5II.  60p with a 60 shutter will slow-mo no problem.  So, I don't know, maybe there's something to your speculation.

We need to come up with a list of important things to improve on that are actually feasible. 

I would put the following: 

1. Adjusting aperture/ISO with the dials without the need to press the ok button. 

2. Locking the AWB. AWB is very accurate but we need to lock it during the shot.

3. Being able to control the temperature and tint with the two dials. 

Anything else? 

4. Being able to access and set one touch WB from movie mode

5. Save different movie mode set-ups as my sets

6. Allow auto iso to be set when in manual mode

7. Allow Super Control Panel to be used in Movie Mode

8. Allow IS focal length to be accessed directly from a function button (much easier if using non-m4/3 zoom)

Maybe we can ask John Brawley to pass a list on to his contacts at Olympus???

4. Being able to access and set one touch WB from movie mode

5. Save different movie mode set-ups as my sets

6. Allow auto iso to be set when in manual mode

7. Allow Super Control Panel to be used in Movie Mode

8. Allow IS focal length to be accessed directly from a function button (much easier if using non-m4/3 zoom)

Maybe we can ask John Brawley to pass a list on to his contacts at Olympus???

Hi. 

Most at of your list has already been passed on :-)

JB

Now we have a conversation look at the unedited footage at about 2:30 the tree trunk the GH2 is much more contrasty looked at both the YT and my file there comprable though yes YT added a little more contrast.  Both cameras were set to -2 contrast the Em5 definitely needed more contrast which I gave it in post.  Which is why the EM5 looks nasty in the unedited but far better in the edited contrast boost.  So your right but the EM5 was the one suffering from contrast deprivation:).  As to the settings I posted them the GH2 all -2 but saturation -1 because I did realize it needed more saturation in comparison.  I tend to not like to much saturation and I like the GH2 setup that way.  The EM5 was -2 to contrast and saturation +1 to sharpening I can't lower contrast and saturation any further and probably would not give it a sharpening boost in the future probably leave at -2 out of camera.  I did get a dropbox to send them too from someone who also wants to see them http://dropmefiles.com/WE90E looks like they will be up in a hour and a half.  I do look forward to your comments as I took those waving leaves due to your comments on close up detail not being a fair comparison so I thought good point and did what I did for better or worse :D

​Inquisitive, I don't know how else to say this. How can you feel anything other than shame after your comparison. I've watched these two videos, and I literally cannot believe that someone with normally functioning eyes could do what you did. In all seriousness, what was going through your mind when doing this? How did you make the GH2 look that bad in your YouTube comparison? Did you apply a blurring filter in post?

For one, I don't see any evidence of a hack on the GH2. Mediainfo tells me 26.9Mbps. If that's a hack, that's the lowest bitrate hack I've ever seen. Second, the unedited GH2 footage is gorgeous on my 50" TV. The E-M5 II footage looks like sh1t. It looks as bad as my Iphone. There's simply no comparison in the fine detail department. The Panasonic blows it away. There's simply no comparison in the colors department. The GH2, again, is, gorgeous. The E-M5 II's colors are as terrible as the fine details. They're like water colors.

Here's some snaps from the unedited videos:

Panasonic 1:

Panasonic1.thumb.jpg.f2c375f68d6773e938b

Olympus 1:

Olympus1.thumb.jpg.6026de400e638eb6b4f22

Panasonic 2:

Panasonic2.thumb.jpg.95b850b0dd1cc4509f9

Olympus 2:

Olympus2.thumb.jpg.e674f412a021e2e78c337

Panasonic 3:

Panasonic3.thumb.jpg.32c51b217359ee46f84

Olympus 3:

Olympus3.thumb.jpg.e62bc0148ab22536beccc

Inquisitive, you may be a genuinely nice guy, but I've met trolls that have done less of a hatchet job than you. If this wasn't intentional, then I don't know what's wrong with you.

The E-M5 II footage is simply indescribably poor. There are quite a few phones that would do a more competent job than this. This camera is simply a disgrace to MFT, IMO.

Yeah, that dusk shot of San Fran is pretty much what scares people about this camera.  Oh well. 

​Illustrates perfectly what I wrote about not risking the EM5 M2 in an urban environment. I've never seen moiré that bad. 

​The E-M5 II footage is simply indescribably poor. There are quite a few phones that would do a more competent job than this. This camera is simply a disgrace to MFT, IMO.

​Wow.  For your own good, I'd strongly recommend you don't start searching and watching videos shot on the PixPro-S1.... :-)

​Wow.  For your own good, I'd strongly recommend you don't start searching and watching videos shot on the PixPro-S1.... :-)

​Was the PixPro also marketed as a professional level video camera?

To tell you the truth, for my own good, I need to stop reading or watching any more YT comparisons from Inquisitive. I wasn't having any emotions before, but that hatchet job does piss me off.

When I saw how good that UNHACKED GH2 footage looked on my 50" plasma and how poor he made it look on YT.... :angry:

​Inquisitive, I don't know how else to say this. How can you feel anything other than shame after your comparison. I've watched these two videos, and I literally cannot believe that someone with normally functioning eyes could do what you did. In all seriousness, what was going through your mind when doing this? How did you make the GH2 look that bad in your YouTube comparison? Did you apply a blurring filter in post?

​Well actually I explained what I did wrong and why it needed the contrast adjustment. Other wise I think your crazy to go along with your rudeness you want to hate this camera fine.  If there is a troll it is in the literal sense you I suggest therapy.

In case you missed it:

I have to admit to an error in my tests.  The recent discussion on curves prompted me to double check.  I had fiddled with the curves and forgot that's why my out of camera EM5 file was so flat and needed a contrast boost.  The setting was probably +4/-4 or +3/-3 so my bad :wacko:.

​Well actually I explained what I did wrong and why it needed the contrast adjustment. Other wise I think your crazy to go along with your rudeness you want to hate this camera fine.  If there is a troll it is in the literal sense you I suggest therapy.

Yeah, I do agree Bob is not the most diplomatic person around :)

Can I also ask what your f-stop on both camera's was set to because that might also impact the image if it was set on auto.

In case you missed it:

​In case you missed it, I think that video you posted is one of the most blatant misrepresentations I've ever seen. It's not at the top of the list, but it's close.

How on Earth anyone could innocently make the GH2 footage look worse than the E-M5 II footage from the OOC clips that I saw is beyond my comprehension. That footage was near perfect already OOC, with perhaps a touch of brightening needed. To be clear, I'm calling you either visually impaired or an out and out liar. Perhaps you should see an eye doctor before I go to calling you a definite liar.

Yeah, I do agree Bob is not the most diplomatic person around :)

​You ain't seen nothing yet. ;) Blame it on my Jewish temper. :mellow: And, certainly, if Andrew Reid or one of the mods disagree with my analysis of the situation, they should feel free to ban me. If they don't disagree, well, let's continue...